6 neons used for cycling...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Helium_Junkie

Fishaholic
Reaction score
How long should you wait when using 6 neons for cycling a tank before you add more fishies?
Also, what should happen to the chem levels during cycling with fish?

Neons aren't the best choice for cycling tanks as they aren't the most hardy fish around, I doubt they would survive the tank cycling.

Just an idea, why not consider a fishless cycle? as this doesn't hurt any fish.

Something tough and messy.

Many people use goldfish or common plecos.

Our last cycle was done with guppies, we didn't lose a single fish. (in fact we gained 20 fry!)

Have you already put the neons in? :X If not, i'd recommend using different fish to cycle, cos neons are really fragile. Bit like those glass cats.

Yes, neons are very fragile. Try using a tougher fish like White Cloud Mountain Minnows or Zebra Danios.

P.T.

Helium_Junkie said:
So, a few of those... and then what? Any decent guides for cycling with fish floating around?
I'm not sure on the details of fish cycling

Basically you have to achieve a balance - enough ammonia present to increase the bacterial colony but not enough to poison the fish

Once you've put the danios in you need to check the levels of ammonia and nitrite daily, do water changes if they're too high, and don't add any more fish till ammonia and nitrite are at zero every day (that's zero before you do a water change, not after!)

Helium_Junkie said:
So, a few of those... and then what? Any decent guides for cycling with fish floating around?
:/ this was discussed in another thread in of yours in a fair amount of detail. it was mentioned there that you should use one zebra or platy or white cloud for every five gals of water. There was also instructions and a description of the cycle and how things should go. Here is the post

tstenback said:
Helium_Junkie said:
:/ this was discussed in another thread in of yours in a fair amount of detail. it was mentioned there that you should use one zebra or platy or white cloud for every five gals of water. There was also instructions and a description of the cycle and how things should go. Here is the post
Yep, but I didnt get any decent responses about the chem levels, and what is considered too high :/
And since that thread got hijacked by someone else... lol.

Anyway, sorry for so many threads but I'm new to this and I just want lots of opinions.

So, outstanding question: What levels of chems are considered high?

I did find a decent guide which described how Ammonia rises, then falls as Nitrite rises, then falls as water is changed, and Nitrate rises.

I will state again then that when cycling with fish you should strive to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels below 1 ppm. The nitrate level should stay fairly well in check as you do the water changes to control the ammonia and nitrite levels. HTH :)

Most reactions

Back