6 Gallon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

matt295

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi. i have been looking at killifish for a little bit now and was wondering if there was any species i could have in a 6 gallon. i doubt it but if there is could someone please tell me? thanks

You can breed killifish in that size of tank and less but for long term I would stick to
Pseudoepiplatys annulatus
coupled with small
Corydoras habrosus
Regards
BigC

is there any possibility that i could have some other typse like:

Aphyosemion riggenbachi
Aphyosemion bivattatum
Aphyosemion australe
Aphyosemion calliurum
Aphyosemion bualanum
Aphyosemion rubrilabiale
Aphyosemion cameronense
Aphyosemion abacinum
Aphyosemion bitaeniatum
Aphyosemion ogonese (i dont know if this is correct, i have found no info about it just pics)
Aphyosemion elberti
Nothobranchius rachovii
Nothobranchius eggersi
Epiplatys lamonit (again only seen pics)
Fundulopanchax arnoldi
Fundulopanchax filamentosum
Fundulopanchax gardneri gardneri
Fundulopanchax gardneri mamfense
Fundulopanchax mirabilis (only seen pics)
Fundulopanchax sjoestedti (i dont think these will work but still worth a try)
Fundulopanchax gardneri nigerianus misage
Diapteron fulgens
Diapteron georgiae

This is just a list of species i have seen and thought looked amazing. If any of these could work, could someone please tell me. If not then i guess i could work with those clown killies. The last three came from BigC's profile that i really like, i hope you dont mind BigC.

I take it you are a novice, well for starters about half of your list I wouldn't recommend to the novice let alone if you can obtain them as fish and not eggs. Some are very large, some are annuals and some are semi annuals.
I'd go with Aph. calliurum. for ease. Australe is fine also but long term in a small tank is going to require hefty maintenance. Main points are cleanliness and waterchanges.
Regards
BigC

okay so none of the gardneri's would work? or the diapterons? i thought that the Aphyosemion abacinum was small. could he work or the bivattatum? i am a novice so please dont get mad at me.

Fundulopanchax gardneri get quite bulky and are boisterous and I would (if not breeding) be inclined to give them larger quarters
Diapterons are notoriously hard to obtain, breeders will not just simply sell on their hard work to just anybody. And they are very difficult to keep (they need small feedings of livefoods and will not accept dry flake etc) Bivs/Bitaeniatum also are nice but you will be probably be looking a a picture of a flairing male in a fight stance with fins errect and posturing. 99 times out of 100 the fins are down and they are not really that colourful persay.
I guess you ar looking for colours and yes most African species are stunning are stunning.
For the novice I would recommend

Plant Spawning Non Annuals-
Aphyosemion australe
Aphyosemion striatum
Fundulopanchax gardneri spp. (with a little mor room)
Epiplatys dageti Monrovia

Annuals.
Nothobranchius guentheri
Nothobranchius Palmqvisti

The annuals of course ne a little bit more work
Regards
BigC

i got a 20 gallon for christmas which i am thinking about using for killis. would i have much more options for this? i was thinking about putting some sparkling gouramis and celestial pearl danios in there but if i have more options i could have a sparkling gourami species tank in the 6 gallon. If i dont have many more option then i would have the australe or striatum. thanks

Sparkling Gouramis in the 6 gall. would be better leaving your 20 gall. for more interesting things.
Regards
BigC

okay, then that is what ill probably do. what species could i house in the 20 that are easy to care for? i do not plan on breeding the killis if that helps too.

If your a novice then any one of the plant spawning non annuals species quoted above. try to get a trio 1 male 2 females.
and remember the first rule of keeping killifish
a tight fitting lid/hood is essential.

any non-annuals from my long list or the one that you gave me that included Aphyosemion australe, Aphyosemion striatum, Fundulopanchax gardneri spp., and the Epiplatys dageti monrovia. If it is your list, then i wouldnt choose the dageti. what would you suggest is the easiest and prettiest out of your list?

Yes any of the species or sub-species care and husbandry are virtually the same.
Regards
BigC

thanks so much. would the Fundulopanchax filamentous, Fundulopanchax sjoestedti, Fundulopanchax gardneri gardneri, or the Aphosemion striatum be okay? any other suggestions? what other fish could i add with any of the species you recommend?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back