FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AJE

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I have a medium planted 57g with the current stock of:
1 angelfish
1moonlight gourami
3albino cory cats(I plan on upping their numbers to about 8)
1 albino rainbow shark
1 vampire shrimp(plan on adding one or 2 more)
As you can see I am under stocked. And I was wondering what non schooling fish you would add(I have thought of throwing in a school of something but I want to see what non schooling options I have) here is what I was thinking might work, a male betta(I think the tank is big enough so that he won’t pick on any one, also so far everyone has been pretty peaceful so I’m not too worried about anyone else picking on him, I still have consers about a betta though), I really like rams so I was thinking some Bolivian rams but I read on some sites it would be best to have six(is this true?)I thought that would make me overstocked, I was also thinking of getting another angel and trying out breeding but I hear that angels get super aggressive when they pair up so that would be no good. What do you think? What would you add? Is there a fish that would work in this tank that I could even try breeding and them be good parent? That would be cool. Thanks guys

The angelfish addition is not a good idea. This species must select its own mate from several, and the chances of you adding a female that would bond with the male and vice versa is very remote. There is also the gourami to consider.

Male bettas are not community fish. I know some try this and claim it works, and with individual fish it might, but we have also had more than one member who thought this only to wake up one morning and find the Betta killing other fish or being fin nipped mercilessly. Don't risk the fish as an experiment.

Bolivian Rams do not "need" six. But this tank is not sufficient space for this many anyway unless you luck out with one male and the rest female. They also must select their mates and bond. A lone Bolivian Ram is an option, as observations in the habitat suggest this fish may live in isolation except to bond and spawn.

Definitely increase the cories as planned, that will improve them and not cause issues.

The angelfish addition is not a good idea. This species must select its own mate from several, and the chances of you adding a female that would bond with the male and vice versa is very remote. There is also the gourami to consider.

Male bettas are not community fish. I know some try this and claim it works, and with individual fish it might, but we have also had more than one member who thought this only to wake up one morning and find the Betta killing other fish or being fin nipped mercilessly. Don't risk the fish as an experiment.

Bolivian Rams do not "need" six. But this tank is not sufficient space for this many anyway unless you luck out with one male and the rest female. They also must select their mates and bond. A lone Bolivian Ram is an option, as observations in the habitat suggest this fish may live in isolation except to bond and spawn.

Definitely increase the cories as planned, that will improve them and not cause issues.
So yes to a single ram? Any other fish you recommend?

So yes to a single ram? Any other fish you recommend?

Yes a single Bolivian Ram should be OK, though the Gourami and/or angelfish might not agree, later if not now.

I would have to think more about other possible tankmates...you have two fish here that get to 6 inches now, and this is not a lot of space. Also Moonlight Gourami can eat small fish when they get grown.

Reactions: AJE
The gourami is already about 5”, the angel and she have never had any problems

Ok so so far I am going to add a Bolivian ram, what else would work?

Yes a single Bolivian Ram should be OK, though the Gourami and/or angelfish might not agree, later if not now.

I would have to think more about other possible tankmates...you have two fish here that get to 6 inches now, and this is not a lot of space. Also Moonlight Gourami can eat small fish when they get grown.
Yes, the angel, gourami and shark will grow to 6”

I had missed the albino rainbow shark previously, sorry, that changes things more. Young fish tend to be secretive, but as they mature some can become aggressive, especially with their own or similar species. The cories might become targets down the road.

Considering the mature size and temperament of all these fish, I do not think you have space for any more, except for the cories, but that brings up the possible issue with the shark.

I had missed the albino rainbow shark previously, sorry, that changes things more. Young fish tend to be secretive, but as they mature some can become aggressive, especially with their own or similar species. The cories might become targets down the road.

Considering the mature size and temperament of all these fish, I do not think you have space for any more, except for the cories, but that brings up the possible issue with the shark.
I have a friend who has tanks in the hundred gallons, if something doesn't work out I can just give them to him I guess, thanks any way

How about a peacock eel

You do not have any space for more fish, no matter what they are.

I have a friend who has tanks in the hundred gallons, if something doesn't work out I can just give them to him I guess

This is not how those of us in this hobby approach things. Fish are living creatures with specific needs and requirements, and we attempt to provide these as close as we can. To force the fish into un-natural surroundings or conditions just to please us is not in the best interests of the poor fish. And what the fish experiences now has long-term effects on the fish, most often detrimental, so this is actually harming the fish. Most of us see this as inhumane, so I would not advise it.

You do not have any space for more fish, no matter what they are.

This is not how those of us in this hobby approach things. Fish are living creatures with specific needs and requirements, and we attempt to provide these as close as we can. To force the fish into un-natural surroundings or conditions just to please us is not in the best interests of the poor fish. And what the fish experiences now has long-term effects on the fish, most often detrimental, so this is actually harming the fish. Most of us see this as inhumane, so I would not advise it.
I’m talking about the Cory cats, not the rams

I’m not going to add something unless I am 100% sure it would be the best for it

I’m not going to add something unless I am 100% sure it would be the best for it

Good thinking.

One must keep in mind that when we post in a thread, in most cases other members don't know our background or intention and can only go by the words used. My earlier comment was in response to the thinking that this or that can be tried, and if something goes wrong the fish can be moved to someone else's tanks...that is not the best for the fish. When acquiring any fish, remember you are providing it with the home it will have (or should have) for the rest of its life. If its needs cannot be met under that scrutiny, don't acquire it. That way we are always really doing the best for the fish, and they deserve no less from us. :fish:

Reactions: AJE

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back