55Gal Livebearer Aquarium

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Aquascaping!

Okay, not really, but I did manage to get a couple more things at the LFS.

IMG_0187.JPG

The rock is another piece of petrified wood. This one really shows the lines. The plant, the first one I've introduced to this tank, is a Red Wendth (Cryptocoryne wendtii). It's specifically designated as a foreground plant which requires low to moderate lighting. Perfect for my aquarium. The specimen was the best available, and was not in the best of shape when I picked it up this morning. However, this plant is expected to die back anyway due to being transplanted, but is suppose to grow back over time. That is provided I can make the conditions in the tank favorable to such re-growth.

When I get more money I'll pick up a few more, and maybe a couple tall plants. I've already ordered the last bit of gravel for the aquarium. It should arrive on the 16th of this month, which just so happens to be another pay day. The only other thing I'm waiting on, then, is more rock. I've pretty much picked over most of the rock available. Hopefully they can get more in soon. I just need one semi-large piece and several more smaller pieces.

Well, that's my update for now until Friday. On that day the government should be sending me my tax credits which means more money to buy some more aquascaping supplies with.

Well, I know I wasn't going to post until Friday, but this really has me scratching my head. I've done a couple water changes so far, nothing drastic, just 25% each time and the following are the readings from the API test kit (assuming I'm reading the chart correctly):

Ammonia : 1.0 ppm
Nitrites: 0.25 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm

I'll visit my LFS tomorrow with a sample of the water to get the numbers verified. Suggest to add API Prime to the tank?

While at the LFS I'll also buy a few more plants, maybe a couple more crypts and some Amazon Swords for the back.

Also the crypt I already bought has begun to die back, as I expected it would. I have not introduced any fertilizers to the tank since I haven't been able to afford any yet. Should I add fertilizer tomorrow when I get paid seeing as there's no other food source for the plant (besides light and water that is)?

One of my heaters looks like it doesn't want to do any heating. It'll come on when plugged in after being unplugged for about an hour (I unplugged the other one as well) but then a few minutes later will shut back off. When I plug in the other heater, it stays on for some time before eventually shutting off. It is the only one that comes on when the water temp drops slightly. I may have to replace the second heater, or exchange both for a single 200w heater. Suggestions?

Well, as promised, I'm posting this update.

I went to the LFS and picked up some more plants. I completely forgot to bring a sample of water to them, but decided anyway to throw a bit of fish food into the aquarium as a way to introduce some ammonia. I also did another water change. And finally, I replaced the heater in the aquarium. This one definitely is working as it should.

The plants I chose were three Amazon Swords (they were 25% off) and another Crypt. The crypt is much larger and looked a whole lot better. Apparently, they received a new shipment the day before. I still expect it to die back.

Here's what the tank looks like now:

IMG_0193.JPG

I'm still not too certain everything is where I want it to be yet. Plenty of time to tweak things I think.

I'm going to keep an eye on the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels (of course) and see if the food I introduced into the aquarium causes a spike. Anyone know how long it generally takes for the food to decay to a point where it begins releasing ammonia?

Thanks. I'm pretty pleased with how it's turning out so far. I'm getting pretty anxious to add some fish, but I have to wait until cycling is done.

Finally, after a couple of weeks in a bucket, the wood that I'd purchased is now in the tank. It took me a bit to figure out the placement for everything, but I think I now have it where I want everything. Tell me what you think.

IMG_0196.JPG

Here are the most up to date readings from my test kit:

pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 5 ppm

The pH fell slightly due to the introduction of the Mopani wood to the tank which reduced it from 8.2. I expect, as the wood finishes leaching its tannins, that with additional water changes the pH level will rise again to about 8.2. I don't think that'll happen for some time though.

The wood has begun growing some fluffy white fungus like material, which I've read is normal and harmless and eventually goes away on its own. I'm wondering though, given my water parameters, is there a fish suitable for my tank (and for future livebearer inhabitants) that would relish this stuff?

And here it is, done at last!

55_Gal_Tank_lg.jpg

I'm rather pleased with the way it all turned out.

Thanks. Now I just need to get some fish. Unfortunately, ran out of money. Have to wait until then.

What sort of fish you gonna stock it with?

Most reactions

Back