55Gal Livebearer Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jay0173

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
As I mentioned in my introduction thread, I am getting back into the hobby after a long hiatus. Before I used to have 10, 20 and 30 gallon aquariums stocking various tropical fish from Neon Tetras and Mollies, to African Cichlids. My true love, however, has always been livebearer fish.

To that end, I am re-entering this hobby with a 55 gallon aquarium. Already I have purchased the following equipment:

• Marineland 55 Gallon Aquarium (48" x 13" x 20")

• API Rena Filstar Canister Filter - XP3-L

• 2 Eheim Jager TruTemp Submersible Heater - 100 W

• Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Lighting System - 48" to 60"
Before I can get this aquarium started, I need someplace to set up the tank.

I really wasn't too impressed with the selection of aquarium stands commercially available, and being the hands-on guy that I am, decided to build my own. So, to begin with, I would like to share with you all my aquarium stand build.

In researching aquarium stands, I came across a few simple DIY stand designs on Youtube. These stands were constructed using 2x4 lumber with some sort of paneling covering the stand's "skeleton."

I decided that I would tackle this sort of stand, borrowing some of the ideas these aquarists used in the construction of their own stands.

So, here it is:

I began by building the top of the stand. It was a simple box with two middle support pieces and topped with a 3/4" maple plywood sheet cut to size.

IMG_0165.JPG

Next I made the base, which was similar to the top, only I had to cut out notches in the plywood to allow for the legs and supports. The cuts weren't perfect, but it's not as though people would be looking at what's under the aquarium and behind the doors that'll hide all the equipment underneath. The first of the guide posts was installed as well.

IMG_0168.JPG

I finished adding the guide posts and then sat the top section on these posts. The weight of the aquarium won't be supported by these posts, rather braces are to be attached to the posts. Getting these braces cut to the same size was fun to say the least. It involved me creating a custom jig which I butted up against the miter saw I used to cut all the wood.

IMG_0169.JPG

Okay, with the guide posts installed, it was time to add the bracing. These braces would be responsible for carrying all the weight of the aquarium and everything in it.

IMG_0170.JPG

With the bracing installed, next it was time to attach the trim and the covering. The trim consisted of 1x3 pine boards and some decorative trim that were attached to the front of the stand on either end. The next three photos show the stand with the trim and covering.

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

Next it was time to prime the stand in preparation for painting.

IMG_0176.JPG

And finally, I applied the first coat of paint to the stand. It is now technically ready for the aquarium. I do want to apply a second coat of paint, however.

IMG_0177.JPG

The entire process of building this stand took about two weeks. Had I not had to work, I probably could have done it in a couple of days.

And so begins my aquarium build. By tomorrow I hope to have the second coat painted and dried and ready for me to put the aquarium on it. Before I do that, however, I will check the aquarium for leaks. A visual inspection shows no defects in the joints, but it's always what you can't see that causes the most problems.

You and me both. Patience, however, is a key in this hobby, which is a hard lesson for me to learn some times.
wink.png

You and me both!

The stand looks great! Welcome back to fishkeeping!!!

I would suggest doors, but that's only bc my fish cupboard is always a mess and I don't want anyone to know :shifty:

greenmumma141 said:
You and me both!

The stand looks great! Welcome back to fishkeeping!!!

I would suggest doors, but that's only bc my fish cupboard is always a mess and I don't want anyone to know
shifty.gif

Thanks. I just put the final coat of paint on the stand. Waiting for it to dry now before putting the aquarium on it. The aquarium is outside partially filled with water. I'm testing it for leaks. So far none. All the seals look intact. and there is no moisture around the bottom of the tank or on the sides. I will let it sit for a few more hours yet just to be sure.

As for doors, eventually I do plan on putting some on. I just have to decide what type of doors they'll be. They'll certainly hide the imperfections in the opening cutouts.

No leaks, yay! :)

I actually think it looks great, you really can't see imperfections in the picture.  When I upgraded to my external filter, I had to do some modifications to make my "secret fish cubby" and there are still some rough spots lol.  ;)

greenmumma141 said:
No leaks, yay!
smile.png

I actually think it looks great, you really can't see imperfections in the picture.  When I upgraded to my external filter, I had to do some modifications to make my "secret fish cubby" and there are still some rough spots lol.  
wink.png

Thanks. That's one benefit of painting a stand black, it really does hide little mistakes.

The aquarium stand has been painted, the paint has dried, and the aquarium has been tested for leaks and passed with flying colours. So now, all that was left was to put it all together.

IMG_0179.JPG

You will notice that the back of the aquarium is black, and that's because the first coat of black acrylic paint has been applied. I'm a somewhat messy painter, so I taped off the edges with painter's tape. It'll come off once the final coat has been applied.

greenmumma141 said:
Looks great!!!!!! The black looks good in your yellow room too
smile.png

As the boyfriend keeps reminding me, black goes with everything!
smile.png
 Plus, being colour blind, contrasting colours always is easier on the eyes. I'll let the natural aquascaping and the livestock I introduce to the aquarium add some colour to the tank.

Just wanted to provide a quick update on my aquarium. Yesterday the water was added to the tank, filling it almost fully except for a couple inches. The gravel was also introduced to the tank. The filters and heaters were plugged in and are working as intended. It took a bit of fiddling to get the canister filter working, as I'm not used to these filters, but it's working perfectly as well.

IMG_0184.JPG

As you can see, the water is still a bit cloudy, but I expect that'll clear up pretty quickly.

The gravel I chose is a brand called CaribSea Instant Aquarium. As stated on the manufacturer's website:

Instant Aquarium™ takes the guess work out of starting a new tank. The Instant Aquarium™ line offers a variety of finer grade natural gravels and sands water packed with living, water-purifying bacteria, state of the art clarifier, and a complete water conditioner. Tap water is all you need to get started. Instant Aquarium™ immediately begins the cycling process, eliminating new tank syndrome, and discouraging nuisance algaes. Instant Aquarium™ detoxifies metals, eliminates ammonia, neutralizes chlorine and chloramines, and provides a protective slime coat for stressed fish. Instant Aquarium™ also reduces nitrates and nitrites.

The gravel colour I chose is called Kon Tiki.

39883.jpg

The above picture shows you what the gravel looks like. I think I need another bag. I purchased 2 20lb bags, but it doesn't quite cover as much as I'd hoped for. I'll order another bag next Friday and pick it up the following Friday.

In the mean time, I'm soaking the wood I purchased. Already the water in the bucket is turning colour. The rock will be rinsed off and introduced to the tank and put into a temporary position until I figure out where I'm going to be putting everything.

Besides the gravel, the next thing on my agenda is to locate and pick up some plants.

A better view of my aquarium with the rock I purchased set in place. Boy does it look lonely in there.

IMG_0186.JPG

Yes it cleared up pretty fast, thanks to the powerful filter I'm using for this setup.

Also, thanks to the type of gravel I put into the aquarium the water has that distinctive established aquarium smell and I now have readings on my API tests!

Ammonia: 2.0 ppm
Nitrites: 0.25 ppm
Nitrates: 5.0 ppm

(These readings assuming that I'm reading the colours on the chart correctly.)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back