55 Gallon Stocking

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

FishFreak95

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well I always knew this was coming. I have to sell my Jag, midevil, and green terror. I bought them all at 1 inch not knowing much on these cichlids back then. They are all 7" now and know that they wont work in a 55 and they are going ASAP.

I am thinking of converting that 55 gallon into a natural looking tank with sand, plants, driftwood and caves and putting my sajica pair in there. There would be plenty of hiding places and caves to hide in. I also want to add a firemouth and/or a salvini(if i can find one). Would 1 FM and 1 Sal work with the Sajica pair?

Has quite a reasonable chance of working I'd say. Although, of course, all cichlids like that are individuals and you might just end up with a "personality clash".

The Jaguar and Green Terror went to a good home. I just need to rehome the midevil.

When I re-setup the 55 gallon and add the Sajica pair, and firemouth(maybe a pair?) what we be some good colorful target/dither fish?

A huge range of dithers would be suitable. Anything bigger (or deeper bodied) than a neon should be OK. Anything that can't be dinner for the cichlids.

praecox rainbows are nice (although I'd say the bigger species of rainbow would ideally need a larger tank). Loads of tetras to choose from too.

Ok heres my plan:
Use sand as substrate with driftwood, plants and several caves.
The stock:
2 Sajicas
2 firemouth
8 Buenos Aires Tetras
3 Swordtails

Comments and suggestions welcome ^_^

Sounds ok to me. :good:

If either the Sajicas or Firemouths breed though you may want to have a back up tank in place?!

i think it will work, because the Sajica are already an established pair then if you buy the other fish small, then they will grow up knowing that the sajicas are in charge.

If you got a salvini and a firemouth around the same size as the sajicas there is always a chance they will start fighting for territory and they may even steal the sajicas mate from him, it sounds weird but i've seen my fair share of new world cichlid pairs broken up by other cichlids in my tanks :p

Good luck! and if it doesnt work you can always rehome some one somewhere along the line.

May I also recomend Gourami's, they are graceful, come in different colours, and a group of them always looks good in a set up, Ive kept them with cichlids lots of times including a 14" jag. I had snakesskins which are the larger kind, but there are blues, golds, pearls or platinum coloured ones you could keep!

Thank you. I will definitely consider gouramis. Would they eat fish fry?
The Sajicas will be going in the 55 gallon in 2 - 4 weeks.
My sajicas spawned and I am wondering if I move both fry and the parents, Will they still take care of the fry or will they be confused from the move and eat the fry? Would it be better to leave the fry in the 10 gallon and just move the parents to the 55?

Most reactions

Back