55 Gallon Stocking Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

TetraMan2007

Reaction score
I have a 55 gallon aquarium that is unused and in my basement. Right now I am the owner of a 10 gallon with six neon Tetras. My father said that I can upgrade to the 55 gallon around my birthday (around August). I was thinking about doing biotope tank replicating the Amazon river. I want fish that are hardy because I am still relatively new in the fish keeping hobby. I am not looking for an extremely accurate biotope. As long as the fish are from northern South America it is ok for me ;). I am thinking about getting angelfish because they are peaceful and relatively easy to care for from what Iā€™ve been reading. I was wondering if there are any good community Tank mates for angels. Or if you think there are any other cichlids I should have instead of Angels. I have a very soft water and a PH around a neutral coming from my tap. I am thinking about aquascaping it but am not sure because I donā€™t know what fish to get. Please help me decide on my fish. Thanks

I have a 55 gallon aquarium that is unused and in my basement. Right now I am the owner of a 10 gallon with six neon Tetras. My father said that I can upgrade to the 55 gallon around my birthday (around August). I was thinking about doing biotope tank replicating the Amazon river. I want fish that are hardy because I am still relatively new in the fish keeping hobby. I am not looking for an extremely accurate biotope. As long as the fish are from northern South America it is ok for me ;). I am thinking about getting angelfish because they are peaceful and relatively easy to care for from what Iā€™ve been reading. I was wondering if there are any good community Tank mates for angels. Or if you think there are any other cichlids I should have instead of Angels. I have a very soft water and a PH around a neutral coming from my tap. I am thinking about aquascaping it but am not sure because I donā€™t know what fish to get. Please help me decide on my fish. Thanks
Angelfish are not peaceful fish, here is something Byron wrote about them in a thread named Angelfish question and it helped me choose my stocking :

I've posted so much about angelfish of late that I can't remember where I wrote what. So at the risk of repeating...

Angelfish is a shoaling species so there must be five minimum or preferably more, and that means a tank of 4-feet (a 90g is really about minimum) or larger. Once the angelfish are together in the tank, a fairly good hierarchy will quickly develop. This is one reason why additional fish cannot be added to a group that has been together for even a few weeks. There are no guarantees as individual fish can deviate from the normal, so when setting up a shoal of angelfish there should always be a back-up plan just in case. Also, one or more pairs will likely form within any group, and if the tank is not sufficient space this may mean moving either the pair elsewhere, or the other angelfish elsewhere. And there could obviously be one, two, or more pairings depending upon the group size. Again, a back-up plan is needed.

The only other humane way to keep this fish if not in a proper shoal is as a bonded pair if one forms. One solitary fish is sometimes seen, and while I cannot say how the fish might feel about this abnormal environment being forced upon it, I don't consider it advisable.

The species is mildly aggressive generally. Males are territorial, but within a good sized shoal this plays out usually without incident. But it may not. I have frequently posted an illustrative video of a group of 11 wild Peterophylum scalare in a 750 liter (200 gallons) tank with dimensions 200cm x 65cm x 65cm (78 by 25 by 25 inches). Down in the comments the owner mentions this tank not really being sufficient and intending to move them to a larger. But the interaction between the fish in this video is exactly what can be observed in the habitat, and this is how this fish should be housed.

Tankmates are possible, if carefully chosen.Corydoras obviously can work (C. duplicareus in the video as this species manages with the warmth wild caught angelfish must have, commercially-raised fish are different), upper level shoaling fish like some of the medium sized peaceful characins (never linear fish, the disk-shaped species like the Rosy Tetra clade work well). In very large tanks, the Black Ghost Knifefish in a group makes an excellent tankmate. Both fish prefer dim light, another feature of good husbandry of angelfish.

Spawning is another topic and easily found online. I'll just note that a pair may spawn a few times, but if they have not accepted each other and actually bonded, one will be dead before long. Bonded pairs have been known to live together for years. But divorce cannot be ruled out.

Did you think about dwarf cichlids like apistograma, german blue rams or bolivian ram?

German blues need too warm water for neons but bolvians and apistogramma will be ok.
One can always mix a bunch of similar sized fish from same general area with same water parameters.
Corydora, dwarf pencil fish, hatchet fish bristle nose pleco and other similar sized tetras.
Mixing dwarf cichlids can be done in this set up just cam be tricky as they try to breed and get territorial.
For Apistogramma one would need a pair that was bonded same with bolivian RAM. Bolivians do well in a bonded pair or as just a single as they are solitary fish in the wild except during breeding season.
Id suggest filling out each level of your tank with a species or 2 from that biotope.
Top level Marbled Hatchet. They are exclusive top inhabitors need a lid as they can really jump.
Mid- 2 different tetra shoals. Increase your neons to ten or more and add another similar sized tetra shoal. Glolight teyra, black neon, von rio tetra, penguin tetra, rummy nose tetra, emperor tetra...all those will do well with neons and are from S. America amazon river basin. Or a shoal of dwarf pencil fish which have been found swimming with neons in the wild. Other shoals if similar sized fish help shoals feel safe as it signals to them the lack of predators.
Bottom- Any corydora, in a shoal of at least 6.
If one wanted some sucker fish as well 1 bristlenose pleco or a shoal of ottocinclus.
Keep in mind bolivian Ram and apistogramma inhabit mostly bottom of tank and bolivians need sand as they are earth eaters and corydora also need sand and all these fish will benefit greatly from live plants and drift wood.

Also keep in mind i have no idea what your water is like. Most fish in the amazon basin need soft water withba GH 6 and below with a PH below 7.

Last edited:
I appreciate this but I was thinking of a middle level swimmer. If Iā€™m not wrong the appistogramma are bottom levels. I would definitely love a Bolivian Ram, but Iā€™m really looking for a mid level. Would an Acara work. If not, what other mid level cichlids could I have?

My water is soft with a neutral ph. Iā€™m sure the driftwood in the aquascape will bring it down. But as far as schooling recommendations, I love them! Corydoras are really cute, and I love the uniqueness of the shape of Pencilfish and hatchetfish. But I donā€™t know any cichlids that go with them. I will add plenty of plants and rocks and a fine gravel or sandy substrate.

My water is soft with a neutral ph. Iā€™m sure the driftwood in the aquascape will bring it down. But as far as schooling recommendations, I love them! Corydoras are really cute, and I love the uniqueness of the shape of Pencilfish and hatchetfish. But I donā€™t know any cichlids that go with them. I will add plenty of plants and rocks and a fine gravel or sandy substrate.
Corydoras need sand so I would go with that :)

Glow light tetra go well with neon tetra and spend most of their time in the middle area of my 55 gallon tank. They also look nice . I have all tetras in my 55 gallon which works out well.

Acara are to aggressive to be kept with tetra.
Some people keep red headed tapajo with tetra, they are a geophagus and need to be in groups they get about 6 inches each and are pretty community friendly but in your size tank would really leave you pretty much a shoal of tapajo with one shoal of tetra and no room for anything else and you couldnt keep any plants in there other than java fern as the tapajos will up root them/eat them and 50 is too small for a group of tapajo.
Apistogramma or bolivian Rams would be the best fit in your size tank with tetras.most the other SA cichlids are either too aggressive get to big or like germans need warmer water than most tetras and all corydora.

Last edited:
You could also go with a smaller Aacara the laetacara curviceps dwarf smiling flag cichclid. Or the dorsigera curviceps or red breasted acaraThey both get about 3 inches and arent as aggressive as blue acara but more aggressive than rams and apistos

Last edited:
I agree with the rest... good explanations and suggestions...

Whenever you start a new tank, you try to look for fish in all levels - top, middle, bottom so that your tank won't look so empty.
You will see fish swimming at all levels...
At the minimum, you should have one top or middle level and one on bottom level.

Something for you to read:

I think Bolivian Rams are easier to keep, less aggressive and can mix with other schooling fish.
Neon Tetras are not so hardy but they are quite beautiful.

Corydoras(bottom level) can mix well with Pencilfish and Hatchetfish as they are all peaceful fish.
There are many species of Corydoras. Choose one that you like the best. Keep them in a big group of 6-10 or more.
Or you can even have two groups of Corydoras if you don't have any other bottom level fish.

Here is a list of Corydoras:

My favourite Corydoras are Panda and Leopard Corydoras.
Adolfo
is beautiful but too expensive.
Pygmy Corydoras is small and cute but will be too small for your tank.
Bronze Corydoras will be the larger one.

I think keyhole cichlids could also work but I am not sure, I don't know a lot about them

My LFS has some curviceps. They donā€™t, however, have any apistogrammas or keyhole cichlids. They do have rams. Bolivian and German. I have a question about the rams. Will they swim in the bottom only, or will they dwell to the middle sometimes? As far as Angelfish. My sister really loves them and keeps begging me to get them. If I got like 4 Angelfish, 6-8 Corydoras, and 6-8 hatchetfish, Would that work in my 55 gallon? They all swim at different levels so I donā€™t think they would fight, would they?

I wouldn't keep adult angelfish and hatchetfish together. There is just too much size difference between them and the angels will take all the food.

Hatchetfish are small and peaceful and should only be kept with small peaceful calm fish.

Rams will swim in the lower half of the tank.

If the shop doesn't have any Apistogrammas now, see whether they can get some in. Most shops get a new supply list every month and there are heaps of fish on the list, which many shops don't buy. But it's possible the shop can get Apistogrammas and other cichlids if you ask them to.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back