55 Gallon Aggressive Tank

spider2928

Reaction score
Would a porcupine puffer, volatin or radiata (still deciding) lionfish and a barred moray eel be compatible in a 55 gallon tank? The tank has a Penguin Biowheel 350 (i am removing the biowheels) and a D&D Marine protein skimmer. I also have 60lbs of fiji live sand and 55lbs of fiji live rock. Would that be adequate filtration? I have heard that I could turn my HOB filter into a refugium would that be better than mechanical filtration? If so how would I go about doing that? I know these fish will outgrow this setup but I plan to upgrade my tank to 90-125 gallons in a year or so and would purchases these fish as juveniles.

Thanks,
Paul

They would almost certainly be compatible. A fuge would be better than mechanical filtration. Just put some algae, sand and rock into back of the filter and add a light.

i would choose the mechanical filtration if you are willing to clean it every 1-3 days, especially if you have some messy fish.

Would a protein skimmer act as mechanical filtration? The pump has a foam cover to collect debris...

Would a porcupine puffer, volatin or radiata (still deciding) lionfish and a barred moray eel be compatible in a 55 gallon tank? The tank has a Penguin Biowheel 350 (i am removing the biowheels) and a D&D Marine protein skimmer. I also have 60lbs of fiji live sand and 55lbs of fiji live rock. Would that be adequate filtration? I have heard that I could turn my HOB filter into a refugium would that be better than mechanical filtration? If so how would I go about doing that? I know these fish will outgrow this setup but I plan to upgrade my tank to 90-125 gallons in a year or so and would purchases these fish as juveniles.

Thanks,
Paul

You might have problems with the puffer and the lionfish - puffers can be fin nippers

True enough - except that porcupine "puffers" are not really puffers at all, but "two tooths" or diodonts. They rarely become fin nippers but the occasional specimen can be.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back