50 Years Of Keeping Fish Newby Here

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ziouxpioux

Reaction score
Good early morning. A bit chilly here this morning in Central Florida. MY OH MY has this obessession changed thru the decades. My start in freshwater tropicals began in the 5th grade when our teacher Mr. Runkle set up a small tank in the classroom. I received my first 10 gal tank for my birthday that same year and that anniversay is coming up soon, in April as a matter of fact. Back then there were no bags to carry fish home from the IFS. Instead the owner had a collection of cast off gallon glass containers that once contained mayonaise and such. The first one was free. And a person was expected to guard their jar with their life and bring it back each time. Mine lasted a long time! Anyhow, many tanks and many fish later here I am.

I currently have 1 ten gal marine with one very mean blue fiji devil. A 55 gal marine with live rock and two condylactis, the fiji killed off any fish that were in there- thus he is now on his own and I have yet to replace any fish in the tank. I am watching one condy as she is acting different and I am hoping she splits.

I have a 20 gal quaranteen tank where a tiny baby guppie lives that was born durning a recent quaranteen, and 3 new powder blue gouramies plus 1 very active ramshorn snail Then there is my main pride and joy. A 125 gal that is in the works for a fully planted freshwater fish home. It is taking me months to set up due to first the getting the substrate in, a costly proceedure. Then putting in the huge awesome rock, and a underwater toy shack. Running the filter and feeding food to all the invisible fish in the tank. Finally, all chemistry is good and start the process of adding fish. A few each month. Meanwhile, gradually getting new lights for the old fixtures, having to replace a fixture because the on/off switch busted. Am waiting on the arrival of that fixture at the moment. Then next month I will order plants. It is perhaps a good thing I am forced due, to limited budget to go so slow. Probably best for the health of the tank if ya know what I mean.

Meanwhile, here I am, and WOW what a change in the hobby. All those chemicals, addititves, awesome filters (my first one was a plastic hang on the back with air hoses, a noisy pump, charcoal and that spun glass filter floss). No knowledge of cycling, etc. My how fish suffered back then!!! Surprisingly, either the force was with me or the fish were tougher because I had very few losses. Back then water exchanges were not done, just topped off and no chemical testing. And fish actually thrived!! PLants grew so much hobbyist were throwing away what was considered an overabundance. Like I said, sure is different nowdays. AND no special lights, etc. Now, I am lucky to keep fish going due to diseases if I do not have a quaranteen tank first. It is difficult to keep plants growing without special attention - is it because of the way plants are propigated now thus, weakening them? Anyhow-- a bit long winded but, here I am. :band: Karen Campbell

:hi: Glad to have you here! New methods don't always equal better methods. I, too, have kept fish all of my life and have had to adjust to changing practices every few years.

Back then water exchanges were not done, just topped off and no chemical testing.

Hee!!

My Dad kept tropical fish when I was a kid (I'm 37 now) and hooooo boy... when I decided to start up the hobby myself last November, he nearly had heart failure when I was talking about water changes, "You should NEVER change the water! Never!"

I tried to explain to him that current thinking and practices are different than they were 20 years ago, but would he have it? Nope!!

:D

I think what made the difference was most tanks had lush plant growth with the old foliage falling apart back into the substrate, as well as since substrate vaccuming was also mostly unheard of the nutrients were also replaced back into the substrate and thus the water. Kinda like a self contained bio-scope or whatever that word is. Plants and fish feeding each other. with food and oxygen and Co2 exchange. ( is that correct symbol, Co2?) I had a dear friend who had a basement full of tanks where he raised mostly live bearers and angel fish for the local fish store AND plants. The only time he ever syphoned anything out of his tanks was when the bottom of the tank became 2 to 3 inches thick with old debris - mostly fish poo. Then the tanks got a good exchange of fresh water. He and I also raised white worms and micro worms. I have problems raising white worms in Florida, to warm. I remember going to ponds and collecting mosquito larva for fish food. And of course hatched the brine shrimp. My they loved that! Also found daphnia on occasions. Grew infusoria on old lettuce bits in water.

Now I monitor my tank health with test kits, plus observing the fish health and do water changes accordingly. I want some acidic water like around 7.0 and it is the old water that will develop thus. Of course with the help of wood in the tank. I have read about the chemicals and their drawbacks for creating softer water and I do not like the risks. In fact, when I set up my 125 I bought a small bag of organic peat and placed it under the various layers of gravel and then sand. BTW I do every two weeks water exchanges with the marine tanks, no ifs ands or buts. IT GETS DONE! Karen Campbell

Hee!!

My Dad kept tropical fish when I was a kid (I'm 37 now) and hooooo boy... when I decided to start up the hobby myself last November, he nearly had heart failure when I was talking about water changes, "You should NEVER change the water! Never!"

I tried to explain to him that current thinking and practices are different than they were 20 years ago, but would he have it? Nope!!

:D
[/quote]

Hi ziouxpioux :)

Welcome to the forum! :hi:

Meanwhile, here I am, and WOW what a change in the hobby. All those chemicals, addititves, awesome filters (my first one was a plastic hang on the back with air hoses, a noisy pump, charcoal and that spun glass filter floss).

Wow! I thought no one else remembered those early HOBs. :lol: Did your tank have a slate bottom too?

TFFwelcomesign.jpg

-FHM

i would love to see a picture of your 125 Gallon tank :good:
As soon as I get the plants in and going I will try for pictures. I might however, take a photo of my awesome rock and NO IT IS NOT FOR SALE! :) Karen Campbell

Hi ziouxpioux :)

Welcome to the forum! :hi:

Meanwhile, here I am, and WOW what a change in the hobby. All those chemicals, addititves, awesome filters (my first one was a plastic hang on the back with air hoses, a noisy pump, charcoal and that spun glass filter floss).

Wow! I thought no one else remembered those early HOBs. :lol: Did your tank have a slate bottom too?
No, I never had a slate bottomed one but my friend did. I thot they were lovely and was saddened when they started putting in the glass bottoms. The slate bottoms sure made a tank heavy! Karen Campbell

Hi Karen

Really enjoyed your intro. I am sure you will be an asset here. :rolleyes:

C

I will try to upload a photo of a corner of the tank. It is the one with my rock that is not for sale. :no: This is the left hand corner in the tank. I did not notice how well the fish pooing showed up. I have been overfeeding until I am sure that Bruce the betta and the 3 new gouramis will get along. Yes, I have been checking the chemicals and all is good. Also, the reflection in the right of the picture is the marine tank, I should have shut it's lights off.

OK, on trying to send this image, all I find is adding an image with it's URL darn if I know where that is found. I will go ahead and post this and do some how to reading. Karen Campbell

I will try to upload a photo of a corner of the tank. It is the one with my rock that is not for sale. :no: This is the left hand corner in the tank. I did not notice how well the fish pooing showed up. I have been overfeeding until I am sure that Bruce the betta and the 3 new gouramis will get along. Yes, I have been checking the chemicals and all is good. Also, the reflection in the right of the picture is the marine tank, I should have shut it's lights off.

OK, on trying to send this image, all I find is adding an image with it's URL darn if I know where that is found. I will go ahead and post this and do some how to reading. Karen Campbell

I found where to upload photos, so it is in that section. :) and surprise!!! it accepted my post!! I am tickled, thanx for working on this!!! Karen Campbell

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back