5 Gallon Community

eb2

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jan 8, 2008
Messages
219
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
MINNEAPOLIS
I've done a fishless cycle in this little tank, it's been ready for ages and I keep looking at fish but I'm pretty much of new and found out the hard way some fish need bigger tanks, but I am wondering if there is any small group of fish that I could put in there? I like cory's, tetras, guppies...bright colors and I already have solitary Betta (would really love many) but the fishes were supposed to for my daughter, andshe finds 1 fish by itself boring!!
 
I've done a fishless cycle in this little tank, it's been ready for ages and I keep looking at fish but I'm pretty much of newbie and found out the hard way some fish need bigger tanks, but I am wondering if there is any small group of fish that I could put in there? I like cory's, tetras, guppies...bright colors and I already have solitary Betta (I would really love many more) but the fishes were supposed to for my daughter, and she finds 1 fish by itself boring
 
I've done a fishless cycle in this little tank, it's been ready for ages and I keep looking at fish but I'm pretty much of newbie and found out the hard way some fish need bigger tanks, but I am wondering if there is any small group of fish that I could put in there? I like cory's, tetras, guppies...bright colors and I already have solitary Betta (I would really love many more) but the fishes were supposed to for my daughter, and she finds 1 fish by itself boring


im not positive but i think you could probably do like 3 guppies and maybe a african dwarf frog provided you have a heater and everything. (i really like african dwarf frogs) as far doing a bunch of different fish i think you are very limited.
 
I've done a fishless cycle in this little tank, it's been ready for ages and I keep looking at fish but I'm pretty much of newbie and found out the hard way some fish need bigger tanks, but I am wondering if there is any small group of fish that I could put in there? I like cory's, tetras, guppies...bright colors and I already have solitary Betta (I would really love many more) but the fishes were supposed to for my daughter, and she finds 1 fish by itself boring


im not positive but i think you could probably do like 3 guppies and maybe a african dwarf frog provided you have a heater and everything. (i really like african dwarf frogs) as far doing a bunch of different fish i think you are very limited.

the kid might dig a frog but I barely know what I know about the fish, what do you do with the frog? do they chirp? are the guppies top or middle? I was already pretty sure I would have to stick with 1 kind of fish, unless the cory's could work with some other middle or tops, but they school don't they? and what's the temp with frog and guppies? I have a heater
 
[

the kid might dig a frog but I barely know what I know about the fish, what do you do with the frog? do they chirp? are the guppies top or middle? I was already pretty sure I would have to stick with 1 kind of fish, unless the cory's could work with some other middle or tops, but they school don't they? and what's the temp with frog and guppies? I have a heater


the frogs are awesome... it is completely aquatic so it doesnt come out the tank. they swim around and are really interesting to watch. I havent heard mine chirp at all but i think if they are trying to mate that they "sing" or so ive been told. i believe guppies are every where i see them swimming all through tanks. yes cories do school so i think they would be a no ( i think) i keep my tank at about 76 degrees thou im sure its omewhere around there for guppies as well.
 
3 or 4 of the smaller pygmy type cories would be a big enough group to play well without overfilling the tank. The way they chase each other around and play games with the flow from the filter should add to the entertainment value for a young one. Not much room in that small tank for much more in my opinion.
 
3 or 4 of the smaller pygmy type cories would be a big enough group to play well without overfilling the tank. The way they chase each other around and play games with the flow from the filter should add to the entertainment value for a young one. Not much room in that small tank for much more in my opinion.

are they middle and bottom swimmers?, do they feed off the bottom? what's the temp, I haven't kept schooling or shoaling fish before but I read that a minimum of 6 was an ideal group size, ideal for what? what about hiding places etc? do they need caves?
 
short answer no and yes. Long answer no due to the lack of room, lack of filtration and yes due to the fact that there are some extremly small species of fish out there. One goes to mind but I can't remember exactly, somebody posted a 2.5gallon tank on her, very nicely planted with a small species of rasbora...
 
There are three types of titchy corys: pygmaeus, habrosus and hastatus. If I remember rightly, hastatus and pygmaeus are bottom-middle dwellers and habrosus more bottom dwellers. 6 is the ideal group size to make them feel confident and safe, but 3-4 should be fine. They are fun and friendly little things who should not cause any trouble with the betta. They will like some hiding place, like a cave or similar.
 
There are three types of titchy corys: pygmaeus, habrosus and hastatus. If I remember rightly, hastatus and pygmaeus are bottom-middle dwellers and habrosus more bottom dwellers. 6 is the ideal group size to make them feel confident and safe, but 3-4 should be fine. They are fun and friendly little things who should not cause any trouble with the betta. They will like some hiding place, like a cave or similar.

I've been looking for Pygmy Cory's around here, so far no luck, I need to check out a specialty shop. I picked up a really cool Betta that looked soo unhappy at Petco the other day, a Super Delt is what the cup said, I will post a pic soon to confirm his variety ...but I'll be keeping him alone for a while anyway. Thanks for all the feed back on stocking this tiny tank :good:. More then likely I will not I will hold off on a community until my 10 gal is available.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top