5 gallon cold water fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

myrxn

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm setting up a 5-gallon fish tank and I was wondering what fish would be good to put in there? I'm not using a heater but the room is fairly warm but I'm going to get some cherry shrimp does anyone have any ideas on a few little fish I could put in there? thanks

Possibly white cloud mountain minnows but they need a tank that is at least 18 inches long. All the other cold water fishes need a longer tank.

-------------------
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Possibly white cloud mountain minnows but they need a tank that is at least 18 inches long. All the other cold water fishes need a longer tank.

-------------------
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).
its 30x30x30cm :)

Unfortunately, that is too small for virtually all fish. I have a tank the same size, and I used to have a betta in it. Now it has red cherry shrimps.
The only fish I can think of suitable for this size tank are all tropical which would need a heater.

30 x 30 x 30 cm = 12 x 12 x 12 inches for those members who don't use metric.

What about rainbow shiner ? They only hit around 5cm don’t they ?

Rainbow shiners are shoaling fish, and I would not keep 6 of them in a tank with a 30 x 30 cm footprint. They also need fast flowing water which would be difficult to achieve in this sized tank without causing the water to flow over the sides.

Rainbow shiners are shoaling fish, and I would not keep 6 of them in a tank with a 30 x 30 cm footprint. They also need fast flowing water which would be difficult to achieve in this sized tank without causing the water to flow over the sides.
Didn’t think about there requirements, really isn’t much choice for that tank is there

No, there isn't.

I tried a shoal of chili rasboras in mine, but they weren't happy, they hid all the time. They now live happily among the frogbit roots in my main tank. Chili rasboras are one of the smallest fish we can buy.

No, there isn't.

I tried a shoal of chili rasboras in mine, but they weren't happy, they hid all the time. They now live happily among the frogbit roots in my main tank. Chili rasboras are one of the smallest fish we can buy.
Would they not get away with a single beta ? Or is the tank just too small

A single betta is fine in this sized tank - mine was a betta tank for ages. The only thing is that bettas need a temperature around 26 deg C, and this is to be a cold water tank. Well, temperate since the room temperature wouldn't fall that low, but still too cold for a betta.

Unfortunately, that is too small for virtually all fish. I have a tank the same size, and I used to have a betta in it. Now it has red cherry shrimps.
The only fish I can think of suitable for this size tank are all tropical which would need a heater.

30 x 30 x 30 cm = 12 x 12 x 12 inches for those members who don't use metric.
what ones with a heater would you suggest?

A single betta is fine in this sized tank - mine was a betta tank for ages. The only thing is that bettas need a temperature around 26 deg C, and this is to be a cold water tank. Well, temperate since the room temperature wouldn't fall that low, but still too cold for a betta.
could u keep corys and a few shrimp in with a female betta?

In a tank bigger than 5 gallons, yes. But a tank with a 30 x 30 cm footprint is too small for even one of the dwarf cory species.

But in any size tank, whether shrimps will work depends on the betta. And it doesn't matter whether it's a male or female betta, it's all down to the personality of the individual fish.
I've had red cherry shrimps with 3 bettas. One ignored all the shrimps even the babies. I was always removing baby shrimps from the bucket after a water change. Another ignored the adults but ate the babies. I no longer found babies in the bucket, and the shrimp population stopped increasing. The third betta chased and killed the adult shrimps, so I had to remove the survivors from the tank.
Amano shrimps are plainer and bigger than red cherries so they might be a better choice. Though some bettas would still chase and kill them.

Do endlers need a minimum GH level?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back