5 Gallon Algae Problems

mwood2

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
749
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver WA (US)
Well algae has been building up in my tank a lot am am wondering what solutions are possible. It currently has 2 ADF, 1 Molly (1-2 months old) and a Dwarf Puffer. Everyone gets along so far but would like to clean up the algae naturally. I can move the ADF around and possible do something with the Molly fry. I know that relying on fish to eat algae isn't the best way to go and chances are wont solve the problem but would be cool to watch. most of the Algae is brown that grows in the sides of the tank but also some green on my drift wood.
 
Diatoms will clear up naturally in a few months time anyway, just keep cleaning it when you do a waterchange and it will start to dcrease.
 
I don't think it "clear up naturally in a few months time" usually algae problems just get worse and is better to bite them in the ass before they take over. If its green water you could get a mussel to temporarily eat the green water as suggested here:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=268540
But it would probably die after it had fixed your problem.

I have a similar problem with hair algae, I keep pulling hanfulls of the stuff out of my tank but I cannot ever remove 100% of it. I have read that Cherry Shrimps will eat hair algae but cannot be kept with larger fish so that rules me out as my 7-8" common plec Bruce doesnt fit the "small fish" requirement. May work for you though mate.
 
I don't think it "clear up naturally in a few months time"
Not trying to get ####ty, Aaron is a renowned member of this forum, who specializes in plants, and plant related, so more than likely, if he says it does, it does.

You may be just as knowledgeable as Aaron, but I don't know that, sorry if it offends you.

D.
 
I have read that Cherry Shrimps will eat hair algae but cannot be kept with larger fish so that rules me out as my 7-8" common plec Bruce doesnt fit the "small fish" requirement.

If that's the only thing stopping you from getting shrimp then by all means go for it, plecos and shrimp will be fine together.
 
Sorry Aaron, Declan, I didn't mean to offend or create beef. I'm sure aaron is more knowledgeable on plants and things. I was only speaking from my experience, and for me algae tends not to get better but worse if I dont do a "manual evac". Hence I'm currently looking into a solution for my hair algae prob. No offence intended.:)

nosoup - or anyone else for that matter - would you think some cherry shrimp would fit in ok with the tank below? - Cheers guys.

2xbig common plecs
1x bristlenose
4x danios
6x neon tetra
4x harlequin tetra
4x guppies
1x silver molly
and an apple snail.
 
The cherries should do fine with any of those.
 
Thanks nosoup, just been looking online some people recomend the amano shrimp for hair algae. Which is best ? Cherries or amano, any ideas?
 
I'd say that Cherries are your best bet but have heard good things about both of them and their ability to eat hair algae.
 
i like nitrina snails, don't breed readily and two will make quick work of any algae in the tank.
 
I have Cherries and pond snails in a small tank being taken over by green hair algae all over the plants - creeping up from the back of the forest, of course - I'm still waiting for somebody to eat it...
 
I do 30 to 50% water change every 7 to 10 days...Have no algae!!! And twice a month I clean plants, rocks and any other decor..I do 1 side at a time..Like 1 side today and maybe the other side next week..I have 2 tanks 55g. cichlids and 28g. tropical community.. :nod:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top