5 gal stocking questions

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I recently move betta from 5 gal to 3.5 gal, any ideas on stocking 5 gal tanks? I need mosquito eating fishes.

Guppies would fit that bill...

Or the least killifish, which is a guppy relative, also called the mosquito fish! May be harder to find than guppies though.

In a 5 gal, a trio of boys would work fine.

But you will need hard water for them to thrive.

OR

A trio of sparkling gourami. Difficult to sex, but a ratio of 1 male to 2 females is ideal. But they would have no issues hunting down mosquito larvae.

I keep kubotai rasboras as well and theyre pretty voracious little fish, id even venture to guess theyd feast on mosquito larvae as well. I feed the occasional midge larvae here and they snap it up real fast.

You could get actual Mosquito fish. I used to have wild ones in a pond where I used to live. They where really cool. They looked almost exactly like a guppy, except they where all grey.

I agree with @NCaquatics, some killifish would be pretty cool. :)

You could get actual Mosquito fish. I used to have wild ones in a pond where I used to live. They where really cool. They looked almost exactly like a guppy, except they where all grey.

I agree with @NCaquatics, some killifish would be pretty cool. :)
The least killifish is the same as the mosquito fish :D its same species, different name depending on what people want to call it.

Chili rasboras are also called mosquito fish/rasbora, so you can try those.

Most reactions

Back