5 gal betta help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

If you intend Java fern, Java moss and anubias, these are all slow growing plants. With these plants, I would cycle the tank, then add the plants.
Java fern and anubias should be attached to decor not rooted in the substrate. They both have a rhizome which rots when under the substrate. You probably already know this, but I need to mention it just in case.

Someone else may recognise the mystery plant.

If you intend Java fern, Java moss and anubias, these are all slow growing plants. With these plants, I would cycle the tank, then add the plants.
Java fern and anubias should be attached to decor not rooted in the substrate. They both have a rhizome which rots when under the substrate. You probably already know this, but I need to mention it just in case.

Someone else may recognise the mystery plant.
Ok, thanks! How is my selection of plants? Would you recommend that I add anything else? @Essjay

5 gallons is pretty small so you don't want anything that will grow big. Some species of anubias can grow big so check how big before buying one. Java ferns also come in a few varieties - I have narrow leaf and thor's hammer in my main tank.
My plants are mainly those grown on decor, though I am experimenting with crypts. These are easy plants and there are some small species which would be OK in 5 gallons.

Bettas appreciate floating plants. There are several to choose from, but I would avoid water sprite in this tank as the plants can grow large. Look for Amazon frogbit, water lettuce, salvinia or red root floater.

5 gallons is pretty small so you don't want anything that will grow big. Some species of anubias can grow big so check how big before buying one. Java ferns also come in a few varieties - I have narrow leaf and thor's hammer in my main tank.
My plants are mainly those grown on decor, though I am experimenting with crypts. These are easy plants and there are some small species which would be OK in 5 gallons.

Bettas appreciate floating plants. There are several to choose from, but I would avoid water sprite in this tank as the plants can grow large. Look for Amazon frogbit, water lettuce, salvinia or red root floater.
@Essjay , could I attach it to a rock or something and then have the rock under the substrate? Of course I would make sure to not bury the Rhizome.

In theory, as long as the rhizome is above the substrate, the roots themselves can be in the substrate, with or without being attached to a rock. But you have to take great care not to accidentally cover it. That's the main reason most people grow them on decor, so they can't accidentally cover it.
If you want plants rooted in the substrate, I would look at different plants. Small cryptocorynes (crypts) would work. I am not well up on different plant species, someone who is will be able to suggest easy plants which will suit a 5 gallon tank.

Ok, so let me know if I get the setup steps right.
1. Leak test overnight
2. Drain, and rinse the tank and wipe with hot water. That's how you clean it right?
3. Add sand/gravel substrate or whatever I have.
4. Add my driftwood
5. Fill with water using a plate to not mess up your substrate
6. Put in filter and heater
7. add water conditioner
8. run filter and heater for awhile
9. follow cycle instructions
10. put in plants
11. Do I have to wait a few days for step 11?
12. stock fish

BTW, where can I buy driftwood? Wood (pun intended) love to have an aquascape similar to this
Screenshot 2021-05-19 11.14.53 PM.png

or this:
Screenshot 2021-05-19 11.16.06 PM.png

(Yep, thats John from KGTropicals. Thanks for recommending that chanel, love the content!)
I understand its kinda hard to make an aquascape perfect the first time you do it, but I would love to try!

Last edited:
I plan to use a HOB filter for my quarantine tank cuz I'm keeping a few shrimp with the betta. As for the tank, could I use a plastic storage bin for the quarantine tank? Not about to dish out 20 bucks for an actual tank lol. I might if I keep more fish down the road tho.

Ok, so let me know if I get the setup steps right.
1. Leak test overnight
2. Drain, and rinse the tank and wipe with hot water. That's how you clean it right?
3. Add sand/gravel substrate or whatever I have.
4. Add my driftwood
5. Fill with water using a plate to not mess up your substrate
6. Put in filter and heater
7. add water conditioner
8. run filter and heater for awhile
9. follow cycle instructions
10. put in plants
11. Do I have to wait a few days for step 11?
12. stock fish
Sounds about right!

BTW, where can I buy driftwood? Wood (pun intended) love to have an aquascape similar to thisView attachment 136999
or this:
View attachment 137000
(Yep, thats John from KGTropicals. Thanks for recommending that chanel, love the content!)
I understand its kinda hard to make an aquascape perfect the first time you do it, but I would love to try!
You could look on EBay or at your LFS!
I plan to use a HOB filter for my quarantine tank cuz I'm keeping a few shrimp with the betta. As for the tank, could I use a plastic storage bin for the quarantine tank? Not about to dish out 20 bucks for an actual tank lol. I might if I keep more fish down the road tho.
Yes you can use a storage tote! Just make sure it is clean!!!

@OliveFish05 How can I clean a dirty storage container/tank?
When we set up a couple storage containers for our koi’s quarantine, we hosed them out real good, and wiped them out with vinegar to break up any little bits of anything stuck to the edges, hosed them out again, then filled them up with dechlorinate water and ran the filter

When we set up a couple storage containers for our koi’s quarantine, we hosed them out real good, and wiped them out with vinegar to break up any little bits of anything stuck to the edges, hosed them out again, then filled them up with dechlorinate water and ran the filter
@OliveFish05 Same cleaning procedure for my 5 gallon aquarium?

A planted up five gallon for a single male Betta can be as simple or complex as you want it to be. I used to have gravel in my tanks but after reading what the overwhelming majority of people here do I switched to sand and I am very happy with that decision. I would adjust the air down really slow on your sponge filter and add plants as new additions become acclimated. Sometimes you'll pick a plant that just doesn't like you and adding them slowly prevents wasting money on plants that die. Start with low light varieties and go from there. Enjoy your aquarium.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back