5.5 Gallon Nano

MadCatter

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I could have posted this in the nano section, but it's more of question of potential fish.. so I guess it works here also.

I have a 5.5 gallon nano (not yet cycled, I'm just thinking of possibilities for when it's ready). I'm brand new to the saltwater fish hobby, though have been involved in freshwater for several years, and the stocking differences can be confusing :)

So anyway...

I really like a couple of the puffers that I've seen at my LFS - one being the Valentini Puffer. After reading up more, I noticed that there are several others that are just as beautiful, but remain anywhere from 1.5-3".

Would these fish be too cramped in a tank of my size if they were the only fish in there? If not, what are some other possibilities for my tank? I've had brackish puffers before (currently a figure eight) and I think they are my favourite fish.. I just love their personalities, and if I can't have a puffer, I'd like the closest thing personality wise.

Thanks for the advice :)

There really aren't any fish I'd be happy keeping in a tank that size I'm afraid.

Anything of that size should be invert only IMO.

Mantis nano, or perhaps something small like a clown goby or a yashia with pistol shrimp pair

Mantis nano, or perhaps something small like a clown goby or a yashia with pistol shrimp pair

I couldn't go past that suggestion. Clown Gobies are too cute, and have great character. :) A puffer would be too small for a 5.5g im afraid. Most grow quite large, infact, im not familiar with any commonly seen Puffer imported into for this hobby that remains small. :sad:

Perhaps a Pygmy Filefish could be accomodated into one. They are very cute fish that have interesting characteristics, such as biting on to a piece of algae in order to sleep attached to it. I think they are temperate (need cool water), but I myself would be more than willing to set up a small tank for a single specimen. A ten gallon is the size I consider to be the minimum for all fish; though I understand that others do not share this view.

Mr Miagi, go catch us a Pygmy Leatherjacket please. :lol:

-Lynden

I agree that a 5.5g should really be invert only or possibly a very small goby. Also it denpends on the shape of your tank. If it's a tall design then inverts, if it's longer then yes go with one fish, although most nno's I've seen tend to be taller...

I agree that a 5.5g should really be invert only or possibly a very small goby. Also it denpends on the shape of your tank. If it's a tall design then inverts, if it's longer then yes go with one fish, although most nno's I've seen tend to be taller...

Mine is rectangle shaped, and longer than tall.

My original plan for this tank was a brittle star and crab tank. Perhaps with one small clown goby?

side note...

Finally got some live rock in there last night, and discovered something strange on the rock/burrowing into a hole. Upon closer investigation, I realized that it was plastic rope that wraps through the rock, and is tied off to a knot at the end of the hole.

Most reactions

Back