46 Gallon Tank In Cycling Stages

October 29
-Morning- pH: 7.5, Ammonia: 0.0 ppm, Nitrite: 0.2 ppm.

I must say that my mood for the day actually changes based on how the cycle is going, lol.

Was thrilled to wake up to this! I'm still crossing my fingers though since the cycle has had a pattern, in the past when nitrite hit .15 or .2 it has risen. It is great to see that the water change had such a positive effect, it would have been disappointing if all of that time spent didn't do anything.

OK, fingers crossed for you Bryce, hang in there. WD

Thanks WD! :)

Same results today as yesterday, it took about 45 seconds before the nitrite test changed color so I'm thinking that's a good thing (in the past it would starts changing rather quickly).

November 2
-Morning- pH: 7.1, Ammonia: 0.25 ppm, Nitrite: 0.15 ppm. Added 1 tbsp. of baking soda.

Still not done yet, the ammonia is fluctuating slightly but the nitrite is staying low, although not really dropping.

November 3
-Morning- pH: 7.6, Ammonia: 0.0 ppm, Nitrite: 0.15 ppm.

I think that these are the best results I have seen thus far after 12 hours. Hopefully it continues.

I have a question since my tank can't get past 0.15 nitrite (heck, look at the September entries!). Please do not take this as me saying I'm gonna go buy fish, but I am a little curious about something.

It seems to be well-known that the 4-5 ppm of ammonia added is far more than the live stock will produce, and that lots of the bacteria we build up in a fishless cycle will die off when a smaller load of fish is added and there is not enough ammonia to feed it all. I was reading through bushbrother's cycling thread, he's around the same time frame as me and having a similar problem of the nitrite not completely falling. WD suggested that it would be ok to add 50-60% of the stock but that there is a slight risk of course.

In my situation, would you honestly continue waiting out the nitrite (which, as I stated already, has not really gotten much better than it was in September), or would you do a conservative stock? Let me re-post my planned stocking list:

3 Bolivian Rams
6 Three-lined Corydoras (Dependent on availability)
10 Harlequin Rasboras
1 Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami
1 Gold Apple Snail
6 Black Phantom Tetras*

*I don't plan to initially add these, I have two left in my 10 gallon and was hoping to move them to this tank and increase their numbers. Once all of the other stock is added and I get a feel for how the tank bioload is doing, they may or may not be added.

I would not add the Rams first, I want to wait a little while for them. Would the Corydoras, Rasboras, and even the Snail be considered a good starting stock? Keep in mind I am not adding any heavy bioload fish like a pleco, these are all pretty small fish.

Like I said, I'm not running out and buying fish after so much work on the fishless cycle. I just want to understand what the options are and how safe it could be to add fish. From everything I read, adding half of the stock would not be a problem in my situation but perhaps I'm misunderstanding. Any responses would be very appreciated.

Does your 10 gallon filter need cleaning? Try holding off on an ammonia dose and clean out the filter in the new tank. After your filter for the 10 gallon is nicely cleaned and rinsed, dose up the ammonia and see how it goes. My bet, the new tank will almost instantly look cycled.

Does your 10 gallon filter need cleaning? Try holding off on an ammonia dose and clean out the filter in the new tank. After your filter for the 10 gallon is nicely cleaned and rinsed, dose up the ammonia and see how it goes. My bet, the new tank will almost instantly look cycled.

I'm not sure what you mean with the 10 gallon, that tank is still fully stocked and still going to be running. I think it might have sounded like I only have two fish left in the 10 gallon and am moving them, thus I could just move all of the filter over. Sorry if I'm mis-reading something.

The 10 gallon has a HOB filter that uses cartridges, twice during this cycled I have tried to move over a dirty one to the new tank filter, it hasn't seemed to do much.

Or are you saying that a filter cleaning might be the key to finishing the cycle?

Hey all, I apologize for not keeping everyone updated, it has been a busy week and as I'm about to explain, things have been going great!

On Thursday night I cleaned the filter as suggested, I had already added ammonia before reading OM's post. The next morning I tested and once again it was the typical 7.6 pH, 0.0 ppm ammonia, and 0.15 nitrite. Again, this was for 4 ppm of ammonia. I reread advice given to other people who were having similar troubles to mine with finishing off the cycling, and felt safe in adding around 60% of the stock. I did a 90% water change, tested again (obviously it was double zeroes), and later that afternoon went to the LFS. They weren't as fully stocked as usual, with hardly any cories of any kind. We requested that they order Julii cories (they always have labeled them as Julii but they are three-lined cories). So this is the stock we were able to get:

3 Bolivian Rams (1 M and 2 F)
7 Harlequin Rasboras
1 Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami
1 Golden Apple Snail

Eventually 5 more rasboras will be added, they only had 7 left that visit. I tested the water often and it has remained double zeroes without a doubt, and the pH is staying at 7.6. The Rams started showing a lot more color, the red outline in their fins has really become visible. Here is a full tank shot, I'll post individual photos of fish when the tank is fully stocked.

DSCN0413.jpg

Photo is from a few days ago, before getting the corydoras.

Yesterday (Wednesday) the LFS got 12 three-lined cories in, so we went to pick up 6. They are doing wonderful so far, none seem lethargic, they all keep swimming all over the tank.

Obviously I don't want to speak too soon, but all of the fish seem to be doing fantastic, they're very active and have loads of personality. The Rams actually will take food directly from my hand, they are getting a light meal of flakes in the morning (as with the other fish) and then small cichlid pellets at night (1 per Ram). We bought a veggie clip for the snail to be fed lettuce, in addition he eats some of the corydoras' pellets. Actually all the fish go for those, so I may have to wait until night to put them in. I haven't seen the slightest sign of disease on any fish, so I'm hoping this remains to be true.

So I just wanted to give a status report and a HUGE thank you to everyone who has helped, especially Waterdrop and OM, you guys really gave a lot of great advice and it's been wonderful to have such quick responses to all of my questions! :D

Congrat on your newly cycled tank Brycehockey. Now you just need to keep an eye on your chemistry in case it needs some help for a week or two.

Most reactions

Back