$$$?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Length of lighting period is a big factor. Some plants will just grow at a certain length of time but with more light they produce their fruit. The fruit of aquarium plants should be a flower but I'm not sure that all aquatic plants do flower. What brand or type of light are you using and what type bulbs? What spectrum ? More red than blue/ daylight or equal or what? Old time indoor plant growers used a simple incandescent fixture with what was known as a Gro-Lux bulb and had great results. Reveal your secrets !

Length of lighting period is a big factor. Some plants will just grow at a certain length of time but with more light they produce their fruit. The fruit of aquarium plants should be a flower but I'm not sure that all aquatic plants do flower. What brand or type of light are you using and what type bulbs? What spectrum ? More red than blue/ daylight or equal or what? Old time indoor plant growers used a simple incandescent fixture with what was known as a Gro-Lux bulb and had great results. Reveal your secrets !

Brand: Ecosmart

Type of bulb: I’m pretty sure it’s a compact florescent bulb.

Spectrum: (Not sure what you mean by this?)

Lumens: 800

It’s 120V and 14W. I do open up my curtains occasionally, but mostly it’s just this light I have been talking about. No red or blue lights. :)

Spectrum: (Not sure what you mean by this?)

This means the colour of the light. It may look white (or yellowish) but that is made up of several colours. A rainbow is what daylight actually is made of.
Is there a number followed by a K anywhere on the bulb? That's the K rating, and the number tells us what colours the light actually is.

This means the colour of the light. It may look white (or yellowish) but that is made up of several colours. A rainbow is what daylight actually is made of.
Is there a number followed by a K anywhere on the bulb? That's the K rating, and the number tells us what colours the light actually is.
Very informative. I will go look now. :)

Ok, so on the bulb it said 5,000K. Not sure how this helps? But you’re the professional! Do your magic! ;)

Can you post a picture of your light fixture ?
Sure! ;)

A03AB19D-88E5-4A42-BE71-18BCA9586EEE.jpeg

As you can see I am a huge fan of desk lamps for fish lights! Lol. I just clipped the lamp to one of my shelves, overlooking my tank. I believe the lamp was around $12 USD, which is a bargain for a good light. :)

(And then on my 2.5g snail breading tank I have one was well.)

No hood? you must get a lot of evaporation that lowers your water level.

Hey man ! That's great ! I'm a big fan of doing things cheap and when it looks nice that's an added bonus. Your lights produce results, look nice and didn't cost a lot. @Fishmanic is castigating you about your lack of a top as some of the rest of us have also done but in thinking about this your set up works, you haven't had any fish jump out and your tanks look nice. Maybe the air exchange is a good thing. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Not castigating PheonixkingZ at all. just making an observation. But maybe back in the fold is onto something....more natural air exchange just might help plants grow better...also better light admittance without a hood may help too. Obviously your setup is working for plant growth.

But how do you keep the warmth in during the winter? I’d think your heater would have to be going all the time. A hood would be cheaper than the power bill. What kind of bulb is in your desk lamp?

Not castigating PheonixkingZ at all. just making an observation. But maybe back in the fold is onto something....more natural air exchange just might help plants grow better...also better light admittance without a hood may help too. Obviously your setup is working for plant growth.
I do know that water depth affects light transmission at a certain depth and I think I remember reading somewhere that glass does too. The plants might be able to assimilate carbon dioxide better without the top. But anyway whatever @PheonixKingZ is doing is working. His plants look way better than anything I've ever done and especially on a low budget.
To answer Madame' TFF @Deanasue I think the plant mass may be holding the heat and ,again, whatever he's doing is working great.

But how do you keep the warmth in during the winter? I’d think your heater would have to be going all the time. A hood would be cheaper than the power bill. What kind of bulb is in your desk lamp?
Last winter I didn’t have this tank, so I don’t know how that’s going to work, lol. As far as a hood goes.....it is sort of a hassle to keep up with the water evaporation, but I like the look of a lidless tank better. Anacharis definitely does grow better/faster is warmer water, (as most aquarium plants do) so a good heater is a must. (I use the Interpet 3-15g adjustable heater)

As far as the bulb goes, I posted quite a few posts on the last page. Check then out! ;)

I do know that water depth affects light transmission at a certain depth and I think I remember reading somewhere that glass does too. The plants might be able to assimilate carbon dioxide better without the top. But anyway whatever @PheonixKingZ is doing is working. His plants look way better than anything I've ever done and especially on a low budget.
To answer Madame' TFF @Deanasue I think the plant mass may be holding the heat and ,again, whatever he's doing is working great.
Thank you! Just a powerful light and a good heater! :)

(This is what my tank looked like when I first got it, lol)

10AADAD7-6C7D-4D6F-8465-B4123DE7B07C.jpeg

It’s definitely come a LONG way! :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back