40 Gal Planted Stocking

JJJ

New Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Hi All,
Currently I have a 40gal tank planted I'd like to increase my fish No without overstocking the tank:

There is no CO2 injection, I use flourish excell as directed, I also have an airstone,

Plants: 3 Hygrophilias, 1 babytear, 1 Ambulia 3 crypts and some Java moss

I also have 4 rocks they are about 4 inch/sq

I am stocking meduim/ large sized Tetras, as most of them like to school I am tring to get numbers upto 6 or more.

Fish:
6 Serpae tetras (1.5" * 6= 9inch)
3 red eye tetras (2.8 * 3= 8 inch)
1 Bristal nose pleco (5")

Total of 22" if I use 1 inch/gal rule I have 18" available

I'd like to add:
4 Black skirt tetras(2.4 * 4= 10inch) or ( may swap for a smaller tetra eg lemon(1.4 * 4= 5.6) or flame tetra(1.2" * 4= 4.8)
and
3 red eyes (8 inch)(only reason to get more is that they are more comfortable schooling)
7 white clouds(1.5" * 7= 10inch)
1 SAE (6 ") or Otto(2") or any good algae eater

A little over 40 inches, just interested in differing opinions, experiences, and a few q's to help decide which fish to choose..

I'd like to have a few varieties of tetras without having too much..I know some school together however not sure if that helps capacity?

Also will compatabily be an issue with white clouds/ sae's or tetras themselves?

Are 2 Aldae eaters enough for my tank?

Would I require a Co2 injector to cater for the additional fish?
 
Right, looking good so far, some of my advise would be...

Add atleast 6 blackskirt tetra, dont worry about it pushing you over 40".

Add atleast 3 oto's, ideally around 6 again :) Same as before, dw about goin slightly over 40".

Adding more fish will not effect your need for co2 atall, plants are the only part that benefit from it and that isnt changing :)
 
Right, looking good so far, some of my advise would be...

Add atleast 6 blackskirt tetra, dont worry about it pushing you over 40".

Add atleast 3 oto's, ideally around 6 again :) Same as before, dw about goin slightly over 40".

Adding more fish will not effect your need for co2 atall, plants are the only part that benefit from it and that isnt changing :)

Thanks sj2k,

The plants are doing well with excel/flourish

I got 2 sae's ( freind is going Os) and 10 silvertip tetras , can I still include the 6 Black widows and increase the Red Eyes?

I am considering getting the extra RED eyes & white cloud minnows and leave out the black skirt tetra ? again afraid of overstocking the SAE'are already a year old (~10cm)

Any opinions/experiences suggestions welcome?
 
Thanks SJ2K,

I recently got some (6) silver tip tetra's and 2 SAE's, from a freind who is going OS..

So I guess my plan has changed, Now I thinking of getting 6 White cload minnows and 3 more red eyes, I don't think I could stock the 6 Black widows,

Any thoughts, suggestions or experiences welcome!!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top