3d Backgrounds

poisongirl

New Member
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I want my tank to look really good. But I am kinda on a budget as I am out of work at the moment. So everything in my new 31gal is getting done bit by bit.
I got interested in making my own background. Unfortunaltely I am not that artistic, and after mucking about with polystyrene and cement for a week or so... My house looks like it snowed inside, and my 4yr old could have painted a picture nicer than my 'sculpture'! So, I gave it to next doors kid for his world of warcraft models.


I have seen all sorts of cool looking 3D backgrounds that go inside the tank. But- to get one 4ft long is going to be like £60. Can't afford that!
I need to know which ones that are considerably less £££, I will prob need to buy at least 2 bits, but I do NOT want an obvious join! Can anyone reccomend me on?
Only place I can get stuff like in a shop that is pets at home. But all they sell is a really naff looking black one, I think is supposed to look like bark?
I am looking for one that looks like stone. And one that is not too wide as my tank is only 1ft wide.
 
go down the the hardware section of the forum, lots of people have made a 3D background, maybe you can use some ideas from there :)

dont give up and remember that in nature it wouldnt look perfect ;)
 
Wire mesh + cement +pond sealant is always a good start and sketch a plan of what you want before you start. Use paper printed with mottled grey to simulate the cement stuck on the wire mesh if your imagination is lacking. A few plants placed in niches help to add to the realism they can be stuck on with superglue easily to hold them before their roots take a hold.
 
there we are the genuis has spoken.. so no excuses now :) please post some pics of the project as it develops this will help others in the same situation as yourself :)

shelagh xxx
 
Wire mesh + cement +pond sealant is always a good start and sketch a plan of what you want before you start. Use paper printed with mottled grey to simulate the cement stuck on the wire mesh if your imagination is lacking. A few plants placed in niches help to add to the realism they can be stuck on with superglue easily to hold them before their roots take a hold.


Now this sounds interesting!
Do you have any pics? Or a bit more info on how to do this?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top