33 gallon stocking.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I would not keep endlers in this tank. Making it harder for the endlers would not suit the other fish.

When I had dwarf rainbows several years ago they were quite active fish, and might be too active for the gouramis.

A very brief explanation on the issue of water hardness may help your understanding of why we are always on about GH (general or total hardness, which is the level of dissolved calcium and magnesium in water).

Freshwater fish have evolved over thousands of years to function in very specific water (and a very specific environment in general). The physiology of the fish depends upon the water parameters, and fish have a fairly restricted degree of adaptability. Some species much more than others. We can generally use groupings of soft water species, hard water species, and then those that fit in between and can do well in either provided it is not extreme.

The easiest and safest (for the fish) way to go is first determine your source water parameters, then select fish suited to those parameters. It makes your life much easier because water changes can be substantial which is always beneficial.

So in your case, with soft water, the fish we have so far been discussing (excepting the Endlers) will have a much easier life if you leave the GH and pH as it is. Trying to harden it for Endlers is only going to make things more complicated, and risk the other fish. That is not the way to go.

I would not keep endlers in this tank. Making it harder for the endlers would not suit the other fish.

When I had dwarf rainbows several years ago they were quite active fish, and might be too active for the gouramis.
Makes sense. So no with the rainbows.

A very brief explanation on the issue of water hardness may help your understanding of why we are always on about GH (general or total hardness, which is the level of dissolved calcium and magnesium in water).

Freshwater fish have evolved over thousands of years to function in very specific water (and a very specific environment in general). The physiology of the fish depends upon the water parameters, and fish have a fairly restricted degree of adaptability. Some species much more than others. We can generally use groupings of soft water species, hard water species, and then those that fit in between and can do well in either provided it is not extreme.

The easiest and safest (for the fish) way to go is first determine your source water parameters, then select fish suited to those parameters. It makes your life much easier because water changes can be substantial which is always beneficial.

So in your case, with soft water, the fish we have so far been discussing (excepting the Endlers) will have a much easier life if you leave the GH and pH as it is. Trying to harden it for Endlers is only going to make things more complicated, and risk the other fish. That is not the way to go.
Again makes sense. Can I keep 5 sterbai corys and also 3-4 Kuhlie loaches along with harlequins, cherry's, honeys and tetras?

Again makes sense. Can I keep 5 sterbai corys and also 3-4 Kuhlie loaches along with harlequins, cherry's, honeys and tetras?

Corydoras and loaches should not be together. Having said that, the kuhlii are much smaller and less "aggressive" feeders than the normal botine loaches, but I still would not do it.

For one thing, you really should have more corydoras. They are very social, and the more the merrier, which means better health. You have space here, so I would look at 9-12 cories. You can mix species, they do not care, but try to have a few of each species if you do, say 4-5 of each with 3 species, or 5-6 of each with 2 species.

Just in case...
@essjay 's suggestion is for a separate tank. The rest of the fish on your list need soft water. The can't be on the same tank.

Corydoras and loaches should not be together. Having said that, the kuhlii are much smaller and less "aggressive" feeders than the normal botine loaches, but I still would not do it.

For one thing, you really should have more corydoras. They are very social, and the more the merrier, which means better health. You have space here, so I would look at 9-12 cories. You can mix species, they do not care, but try to have a few of each species if you do, say 4-5 of each with 3 species, or 5-6 of each with 2 species.
I didn't think that I could keep that many Cory's in a 80cm long tank. I'll go with 2 species to start with.

Sounds like youve ruled these out but If the Dwarf Rainbows you are refering to are in fact the Dwarf Neon Rainbows and you live in the UK id stay well clear. (This is only going off my experience)

The Neon Rainbows arent as active as say a zebra danio but come alive when it comes to feeding time. Ive had nothing but trouble with them since ive had them.

Better in hardwater too :fish:

I didn't think that I could keep that many Cory's in a 80cm long tank. I'll go with 2 species to start with.

Yes, I have a tank roughly these dimensions (actually a tad less, its a 29g standard) and I would have no issue with 12-15 cories, maybe even up to 20 for most species. The "giants" like the former Brochis species and those now in Scleromystax are much larger, but most of thee others are in the 1.5 to 2 inch range. The more there are the better for them, and ironically to some extent the less the impact on the biological system.

Sounds like youve ruled these out but If the Dwarf Rainbows you are refering to are in fact the Dwarf Neon Rainbows and you live in the UK id stay well clear. (This is only going off my experience)

The Neon Rainbows arent as active as say a zebra danio but come alive when it comes to feeding time. Ive had nothing but trouble with them since ive had them.

Better in hardwater too :fish:
I guess I'll stay well clear from them.

Yes, I have a tank roughly these dimensions (actually a tad less, its a 29g standard) and I would have no issue with 12-15 cories, maybe even up to 20 for most species. The "giants" like the former Brochis species and those now in Scleromystax are much larger, but most of thee others are in the 1.5 to 2 inch range. The more there are the better for them, and ironically to some extent the less the impact on the biological system.
Nice. I'll get a few different species.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back