33 gallon stocking.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Seems my water is soft even though it said it was moderately soft on the map.

Nice. Would I be able to keep only male cherry barbs with all the rasboras, Cory's and tetras.

Yes. We/you will need to decide on species and numbers, and in doing this we also consider where in the tank the species tend to remain so you don't end up with all the fish in the bottom half.

Would this stocking work?
8 harlequin rasbora
5-6 black phantom tetra or another tetra
5-6 lemon tetra or another tetra
6 cherry barbs (males if I can do)
2-3 honey gourami
5 sterbai corys
5-6 julii cory or another cory

Seems my water is soft even though it said it was moderately soft on the map.

This is why we always ask for a number. A lot of water companies use words which imply the hardness is greater than the number tells us.

Would this stocking work?
8 harlequin rasbora
5-6 black phantom tetra or another tetra
5-6 lemon tetra or another tetra
6 cherry barbs (males if I can do)
2-3 honey gourami
5 sterbai corys
5-6 julii cory or another cory

Keeping in mind the tank dimensions I posted previously...starting at the bottom of this list, the cories are fine. I assume you have a sand for the substrate; and some chunks of wood will be appreciated.

Honey Gourami fine, aim for one male and two females.

Cherry barbs...why only males? Males will be much more colourful when kept in larger mixed groups as they continually display to the females. Gender is easily distinguished as I assume you know; males are deep cherry red and more slender whereas females are dull reddish-brown and have rather plumper bodies. I would suggest a group of 8-9 with 4-5 males and 4 females.

Lemon Tetra needs a few more, maybe 8 or 9 total?

Black Phantom Tetra...definitely more, five to six males and 4-5 females (the red adipose and ventral fins of the females plus the larger fins and darker colour of the males makes gender ID easy).

Harlequin Rasbora...You could do 7, or 8. But this species does get a tad larger than the two closely-related and in my personal view more beautiful species, Trigonostigma eques and T. hengeli. The latter with the brilliant copper blotch next to the black "hatchet" mark is stunning in a group of 8-9 with floating plants.

I have dealt with each species in isolation in my comments above. In this sized tank, I would say the cories, one of the tetras (I would go with the Black Phantom over the Lemon), the rasbora and the gourami would make a good combo. I'm considering their activity levels, place in the water column, and colour contrasts. And in the numbers I mention above for each. You need floating plants, for the gourami and to help bring out the colours in all the others. None of these fish appreciate direct overhead light.

What floating plants would you recommend and would I be able to add 2 male, 4 female cherry barbs to the list as well?

At the moment I have tropica aquarium soil. I know that Cory's like sand but I have kept them on chunky gravel no problems. Just want the plants to grow nice and healthily. Hopefully should be fine.

What floating plants would you recommend and would I be able to add 2 male, 4 female cherry barbs to the list as well?

No, I wouldn't add the barbs to the other fish. You could replace one of the other groups with a barb group. And the numbers have significance so try to stay with them or if not, forget that species. This is difficult to explain, but the numbers of a shoaling species is far more critical for the welfare of the fish than many realize.

At the moment I have tropica aquarium soil. I know that Cory's like sand but I have kept them on chunky gravel no problems. Just want the plants to grow nice and healthily. Hopefully should be fine.

Cories need sand (or mud). All species but one lives over sand or mud or a mix. They sift this through their gills. While one may think cories over gravel is OK because the fish don't die, the effect of an inappropriate substrate does impact the fish and this weakens them. Second thing with "plant" substrates is that cories do not usually fare well with these. Basic sand like play sand is ideal.

Plant substrates may or may not actually improve plant growth, depending upon the makeup of the substrate. Most of these are very expensive but plants can usually grow just as well in play sand. I've no personal experience with Tropica substrates, just for the record.

No, I wouldn't add the barbs to the other fish. You could replace one of the other groups with a barb group. And the numbers have significance so try to stay with them or if not, forget that species. This is difficult to explain, but the numbers of a shoaling species is far more critical for the welfare of the fish than many realize.
OK. Thank you. I have a rough idea of what to stock it with. Will decide on the tetra or schooling fish later.

Cories need sand (or mud). All species but one lives over sand or mud or a mix. They sift this through their gills. While one may think cories over gravel is OK because the fish don't die, the effect of an inappropriate substrate does impact the fish and this weakens them. Second thing with "plant" substrates is that cories do not usually fare well with these. Basic sand like play sand is ideal.

Plant substrates may or may not actually improve plant growth, depending upon the makeup of the substrate. Most of these are very expensive but plants can usually grow just as well in play sand. I've no personal experience with Tropica substrates, just for the record.
Thanks. Just wasn't sure as I've heard it's hard to care for plants in sand. By the way if I was to get sand then what would you recommend and how would you preper it for your aquarium?

OK. I've got my stocking
5 sterbai cory
5 julii or peppered cory
6-7 Black phantom tetra
6 cherry barbs
8 harlequin rasbora
2 honey gourami
1 bolivian ram
I've been thinking about the ram and I think it would be a cool centerpiece. Would the ram be able toive with the other fish and what temperature.

Have you already got the fish?
If not I would choose 1 type of cory and get more (10-15)

Most reactions

trending

Back