33 gallon stocking.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Have you already got the fish?
If not I would choose 1 type of cory and get more (10-15)
No won't be getting the fish for a few weeks so lots of time to plan. I'll take your advice into mind.

Personally I would choose two of black phantoms, cherry barbs and harlequins, and up the shoals to at least 10 of each. With shoaling fish, the minimum number is 6, but more is always better.
I know Byron said you could get more than one species but at least 5 of each species, but I agree with seangee that a large group of the same species would look better.

Play sand is ideal for fish tanks. It is totally safe - it has to be because children will eat it either deliberately or by accident. As you are in the UK, look in Argos and B&Q.
Sand just needs to be washed well as it contains a lot of dust. Put a few inches in a bucket, fill the bucket with water while stirring the sand, allow to settle for a few seconds then pour the water away. repeat till the water is clear. Move the washed sand to another container and do the next batch.
As for cleaning, hover the siphon tube a cm above the sand and make swirling motions. This lifts the debris and it is then sucked up.

I know Byron said you could get more than one species but at least 5 of each species, but I agree with seangee that a large group of the same species would look better.

That was solely referring to the Corydoras, just to be clear, not to the characins or cyprinids.

Corydoras are unique when it comes to shoaling fish, as the species will all enjoy each other's company. The only downside is if they spawn, as there is the distinct probability that species within the same lineage will hybridize. I have had this occur, as have hundreds of others. There is no problem, provided you never release any fry into the general hobby. Keeping the species distinct is crucial to their survival in these days when the habitats are being destroyed and many of these species only live in one specific geographical area.

I have had some 12 species represented among my 50 Corydoras fish for over a decade now. They interact cross-species all the time. And as I said I know there has been cross-breeding within lineages from the pattern of some of the fry that periodically survive and suddenly appear.

That was solely referring to the Corydoras, just to be clear, not to the characins or cyprinids.

Corydoras are unique when it comes to shoaling fish, as the species will all enjoy each other's company. The only downside is if they spawn, as there is the distinct probability that species within the same lineage will hybridize. I have had this occur, as have hundreds of others. There is no problem, provided you never release any fry into the general hobby. Keeping the species distinct is crucial to their survival in these days when the habitats are being destroyed and many of these species only live in one specific geographical area.

I have had some 12 species represented among my 50 Corydoras fish for over a decade now. They interact cross-species all the time. And as I said I know there has been cross-breeding within lineages from the pattern of some of the fry that periodically survive and suddenly appear.
Will only be keeping sterbai so no cross breeding.

I intended to put the word corydoras in that sentence but it seems as though I missed it out :oops:

Hello. I've got the tank and it's cycling and I've created a stocking list....
8 harlequin rasbora
6 cherry barbs
6 glowlight danios or black phantom tetra
2 honey gourami
6-8 corydoras
5 otocinclus
Bunch of amano shrimp
Do you think this is OK?

Hello. I've got the tank and it's cycling and I've created a stocking list....
8 harlequin rasbora
6 cherry barbs
6 glowlight danios or black phantom tetra
2 honey gourami
6-8 corydoras
5 otocinclus
Bunch of amano shrimp
Do you think this is OK?

The tetras, whether they are glowlight or blackphantom, should be more in number. You have the space, so I would aim for 8-10 of whichever. They will without question be in better health.

The cherry barbs would be better with a couple more.

On the otos, make sure you either have algae in the tank for them to get eating on, or ensure the store has them feeding on sinking foods. Otherwise, they may not survive.

OK. Thank you. I doubt I will go for otos.
What about this?
2 honey gourami
8 harlequin rasbora
8 glowlight danio or black phantoms
6-7 cherry barbs
4 endler guppies
6-8 corys
Amano shrimp
I really like bolivian rams. The only thing putting me off getting 1 for my centerpiece is that the they might dig up my plants. Do you have any advice about them?

A correction, I previously mistook glowlight danios for glowlight tetras, my mistake. Danios are going to be too active for a tank with sedate fish (gourami, rasbora, and the phantoms). The cherry barbs should be OK, though it would not be my choice, but I know you want them. Danios though are too active.

I think we previously established you have soft water, so livebearers like the Endlers are out.

Bolivian Ram...I would forget the gourami if you add a cichlid. Mine never dug up plants. They are substrate feeders, and the sinking tabs/pellets/disks for the cories are ideal. My Bolivian pushed cories away from "his" pellet/tab, but nothing ever came of it. It takes more than a few shoves to dissuade cories! This is a nice fish, it remains close to the substrate, and if a male it will certainly consider the entire tank his space. Which is not usually a problem, the other fish quickly learn.

A correction, I previously mistook glowlight danios for glowlight tetras, my mistake. Danios are going to be too active for a tank with sedate fish (gourami, rasbora, and the phantoms). The cherry barbs should be OK, though it would not be my choice, but I know you want them. Danios though are too active.

I think we previously established you have soft water, so livebearers like the Endlers are out.

Bolivian Ram...I would forget the gourami if you add a cichlid. Mine never dug up plants. They are substrate feeders, and the sinking tabs/pellets/disks for the cories are ideal. My Bolivian pushed cories away from "his" pellet/tab, but nothing ever came of it. It takes more than a few shoves to dissuade cories! This is a nice fish, it remains close to the substrate, and if a male it will certainly consider the entire tank his space. Which is not usually a problem, the other fish quickly learn.
OK. So no danios, that makes my choice much easier. Still not too sure with the Bolivian ram as I've got a pair of honeys waiting to go in there so maybe not. Interesting with the endlers because I keep guppies and a female swordtail just fine in another tank with the same water. What about appistogramma or killifish? Don't know much about them so just wanted to know whether they would be OK in here or not before I start researching.

Last edited:
OK. So no danios, that makes my choice much easier. Still not too sure with the Bolivian ram as I've got a pair of honeys waiting to go in there so maybe not. Interesting with the endlers because I keep guppies and a female swordtail just fine in another tank with the same water. What about appistogramma or killifish? Don't know much about them so just wanted to know whether they would be OK in here or not before I start researching.

It seems every thread I post in always comes up with the problem referenced in Nathan Hill's comment in blue in my signature block. Clearly this is a widely held belief. The fact that fish seem to endure things does not mean they are healthy, happy, whatever. We cannot see the issues caused by problems like soft water for livebearers. And the fish may struggle to survive for months even years, but they are never going to thrive, and that should be the aim of all of us, healthy fish that thrive in our tanks.

My knowledge of killifish is very limited so others can comment. That is a very broad group with differing requirements so if you post a species we may be able to provide more guidance.

Apistogramma is an option, depending upon species. If you want one of these, decide on the species first, so you can provide numbers according to their needs, and then decide on tankmates. Cories do not fare too well with Apistogramma because they are in the same area and feed off the substrate. The Bolivian brings this too, as i mentioned, but a lone Bolivian will be very different than a spawning pair of Apistogramma.

It seems every thread I post in always comes up with the problem referenced in Nathan Hill's comment in blue in my signature block. Clearly this is a widely held belief. The fact that fish seem to endure things does not mean they are healthy, happy, whatever. We cannot see the issues caused by problems like soft water for livebearers. And the fish may struggle to survive for months even years, but they are never going to thrive, and that should be the aim of all of us, healthy fish that thrive in our tanks.

My knowledge of killifish is very limited so others can comment. That is a very broad group with differing requirements so if you post a species we may be able to provide more guidance.

Apistogramma is an option, depending upon species. If you want one of these, decide on the species first, so you can provide numbers according to their needs, and then decide on tankmates. Cories do not fare too well with Apistogramma because they are in the same area and feed off the substrate. The Bolivian brings this too, as i mentioned, but a lone Bolivian will be very different than a spawning pair of Apistogramma.
Oh I hope my guppies are thriving! I was told they'd be fine in my water but as you said thrive is different to survive. I will check my local stores for killifish or appistogramma and go from then.

Since the guppies and swordtail are in a separate tank, it is possible to adjust the water to make it harder. Using a form of calcium carbonate (crushed coral, limestone rock) or better that that, aragonite, in the filter would help. Or even using a mixture of salts such as Rift Lake salts - though these would have to be added to the new water at every water change to keep the tank level constant.

Since the guppies and swordtail are in a separate tank, it is possible to adjust the water to make it harder. Using a form of calcium carbonate (crushed coral, limestone rock) or better that that, aragonite, in the filter would help. Or even using a mixture of salts such as Rift Lake salts - though these would have to be added to the new water at every water change to keep the tank level constant.
OK. I'll give that a go. By the way I've just seen the dwarf rainbowfish. They are very pretty.
Can I go for...
8 harlequin rasbora
6 cherry barbs
7 dwarf rainbowfish
2 honey gourami
6 corydoras
Amano shrimp
4-5 endler guppies if I can get harder water.

Most reactions

trending

Back