30 Gallon tank, stocking

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

despreauxb

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I currently have a 10 gallon tnk for my betta and snail. I recently got a 30 gallon tank that I'm still waiting ti start to cycle but I'm trying to plan out my fish tank while I wait. I've been looking into Dwarf Gouramis. I also recently found "fresh water angelfish" and read they could be kept together. I also REALLY want a pletco fish but I'm still trying to figure out which would be best. Could I possibly keep one angel fish and 2 or dwarfs gouramis and one pletco? If not what are your stocking recommendations.

What are the dimensions of your tank (L x W x H)? Do you know the hardness (gh) of your tap water?

While waiting for the water parameter data and the tank dimensions, we can say "no" to angelfish and gourami. Angelfish need more space, and a lone angelfish will be...lonely, this is a shoaling species but it needs a lot of space for a group. Males are territorial. So are gourami males, but a trio of dwarf gourami would work tank-wise (depending upon the water parameters) though many of us do not recommend the dwarf unless you can obtain them direct from a breeder; commercially-raised fish can still carry the iridovirus and there is no cure.

Do you intend live plants, even if just floating plants? This makes a difference, as gourami need floating plants (so do many others, at least they appreciate them).

While waiting for the water parameter data and the tank dimensions, we can say "no" to angelfish and gourami. Angelfish need more space, and a lone angelfish will be...lonely, this is a shoaling species but it needs a lot of space for a group. Males are territorial. So are gourami males, but a trio of dwarf gourami would work tank-wise (depending upon the water parameters) though many of us do not recommend the dwarf unless you can obtain them direct from a breeder; commercially-raised fish can still carry the iridovirus and there is no cure.

Do you intend live plants, even if just floating plants? This makes a difference, as gourami need floating plants (so do many others, at least they appreciate them).
just a small question, can gouramis live with duckweed?

I'll have to actually measure it when I get home as it was given to me as a gift and was previously used. I plan on using live plants as I do with my betta. I read that it was best to keep dwarf gouranis in groups but I only plan on getting one male to help avoid the aggression. I read that 1 angel fish alone would be okay but if thats not the case i won't get one. I havent heard anything about only getting them from a breeder but its defiantly something ill look into. Would I be able to also have a pletco? I think im leaning more towards a bristlenose. I have an API water testing kit for my other tank but it doesn't have a measuring for how hard my water is, is that different than my ph? These are my first fish tanks and I want to do the best I can.

I'll have to actually measure it when I get home as it was given to me as a gift and was previously used. I plan on using live plants as I do with my betta. I read that it was best to keep dwarf gouranis in groups but I only plan on getting one male to help avoid the aggression. I read that 1 angel fish alone would be okay but if thats not the case i won't get one. I havent heard anything about only getting them from a breeder but its defiantly something ill look into. Would I be able to also have a pletco? I think im leaning more towards a bristlenose. I have an API water testing kit for my other tank but it doesn't have a measuring for how hard my water is, is that different than my ph? These are my first fish tanks and I want to do the best I can.
Yes ph and hardness are different. You can look on your water suppliers website to find it or have a LFS test it for you.

Yes ph and hardness are different. You can look on your water suppliers website to find it or have a LFS test it for you.
yeah i think go to the water supply website, lfs sometimes uses strips which is way too ballpark
not worth it getting a test kit UNLESS you're keeping fish not normal to your water

I found this online for my town, is this what you mean?

Attachments

• 20210422_234825.jpg
    20210422_234825.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 77

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back