3 gallon stocking ideas

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nik_n

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So I have a spare 3 gallon take and am planning to turn it into low maintenance nano tank (no filer no heater). The tank will be planted and kept at room temp.

I would like some advice with stocking, here is what I had in mind
4-6 Celestial peral danios (1male-3 female, 2-4)
4-6 Clow/rocket killifish
1-2 Australian killifish
1-2 Scarlet badies
A colony of shrimp (red cherry or blue dream) about 6

Are this good options? Would they all work? I want to keep the tank low cost and maintenance.

Thanks

no to the danios
no idea what an Australian killifish is, do you have a scientific name?

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Is the tank filtered?

the tank is not set up yet, its tall and long not very deep. The ph of my water is about 7.6, gh is about 5°d, and the kh is 15d°. Why would the danios not be an option is the tank too small? I heard others have successfully kept and bred them in a 3 gallon.

I think the scientific name is Aphyosemion australe, I heard they are referred to as Australian killifish.

The smallest tank for any of the small danios is 2 foot long.

A pr of Aphyosemion australe or clown killifish would probably be ok. The clown killis are smaller and be the better choice from a size perspective, but the A. australe are tougher. Make sure it is covered because killifish jump.

The shrimp would be ok too but not with the fish.

So I have a spare 3 gallon take and am planning to turn it into low maintenance nano tank (no filer no heater). The tank will be planted and kept at room temp.

I would like some advice with stocking, here is what I had in mind
4-6 Celestial peral danios (1male-3 female, 2-4)
4-6 Clow/rocket killifish
1-2 Australian killifish
1-2 Scarlet badies
A colony of shrimp (red cherry or blue dream) about 6

Are this good options? Would they all work? I want to keep the tank low cost and maintenance.

Thanks
With such a tiny tank, your options are quite limited, unless you went for shrimp and/or snail.
Your options become even more limited if you don't intend to use a filter.
Sadly, hearing what others have kept alive in their own tiny tanks and 'biorbs', usually isn't a good guide to animal welfare.
There's a website called Seriously Fish, which is often recommended in here and gives good information about individual fish species. See what they say about the Celestial Pearl Danios.
That said, I've a lot of respect for the expertise given in here.

With such a tiny tank, your options are quite limited, unless you went for shrimp and/or snail.
Your options become even more limited if you don't intend to use a filter.
Sadly, hearing what others have kept alive in their own tiny tanks and 'biorbs', usually isn't a good guide to animal welfare.
There's a website called Seriously Fish, which is often recommended in here and gives good information about individual fish species. See what they say about the Celestial Pearl Danios.
That said, I've a lot of respect for the expertise given in here.
I wouldn't say not using a filter limits my options. If made properly and not overstocked, nano planted tanks can run without a heater, and act a mini ecosystems. I do however agree that the options of fish I can keep is very limited.

Thanks for the website I will definitely check it out

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back