3 Gal Update.

Honeythorn

Sugar coating and nicely nicely? I don't think so
Joined
Mar 10, 2008
Messages
2,313
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Stourbridge UK
Just wanted some quick opinions on how you guys think this looks? It's 3 gallons unheated and unfiltered ( I have ZERO plugspace in this area for another tank to run properly ) and contains only a few pest snails who have started breeding ( hey it adds life so I don't mind )

I bought this piece of wood today for the Java moss to spread to ( it's tied down to slate )

Claires147.jpg


Do you think it needs any inprovement or does it seem ok? I don't really have a reason for setting it up, I just liked the tank when I saw it and needed a little place to grow my moss. It's a pity I can't have any sort of shrimp or something in it really but nevermind.
 
I personally think it looks great!
Would look even better with a fish but i have the same problems as you, no space at all! :lol:
 
There's not a fish in the world I'd keep in a tank that small, but I would have liked to keep a pair of cherry shrimp or something. I'm just not sure how well they'd do in an unheated unfiltered tank. I do 50% water changes on it every week along with the other tanks despite there only being a few snails in there. Just a habit to water change now :lol:
 
How low does the temp get? Is it near a radiator at all, that would keep it warm enough for a couple of shrimp wouldnt it?
 
I've just checked the temp in there out of curiosity actually :lol: It's 22 degrees C. That's not warm enough is it?
 
Hmm probably not, 2 more degrees and I would say go for it, can you put a hot water bottle next to it :lol:
 
Actually just done a check up on cherry shrimps preferences and apparently a temp between 21c - 25c is great for them, they can tolerate down to 15c so..........
 
cherry,amano and ghost shrimps are cold water shrimps and will be okay in an unheated and unfiltered tanks, i have 8 red nose shrimp in a filtered unheated 3 gallon
 
I agree with you on the tank size thing, i wouldnt put anything in a 3 gallon either, except maybe a betta but even that would be pushing it.

Although i did see some lovely cherry shrimp in the LFS today, and as minxfishy said they can tolerate down to 15c ;)
 
Ahhhh really? Well that's great to know! I might get a few cherries next time I'm at the LFS :good: Thanks!


EDIT: BAD NEWS : It seems one of my supposed female bettas is in fact male, which means I will have to strip down this 3 gallon to make way for a 5 gallon to put the male into. But I will use all the decor shown here for his tank so it's not a total loss.
 
22C is warm enough for a guppy or several of the cooler fish that we usually think of as tropicals. The lack of a filter would be my main concern.
 
I can't use it now anyway :( Ah well.

I have a 5 gallon I have to set up and scape for this bloody betta . I am actually really annoyed but I'm still keeping him as there is no one to take him . I think I'll call him Ar*seface as that's what I called him when I noticed him flare and was finally convinced of his raging masculinity :lol:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top