29G Stocking Plan W/ Picture

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NorthEastFisherman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey everyone, some of you may remember my old stocking plan and this ones pretty similar but i changed out a few fish. Tell me what you think. Here's my list:

What i have so far:
-1 Gold Gourami (4'')
-1 Rainbow Shark (4'')
-1 Bolivian Ram (2'')
-1 Neon Tetra (1'')
-1 Glowlight Tetra (1'')
-1 Von Rio Flame Tetra (1'')
-Spiral Bamboo
-Ruffled Sword
-Unnamed plant
-Tall (forgot the name) plant

What im planning on getting:
-6 Pygmy Cories (1''each)(I've ordered these through my lfs but i guess they never were shipped?)
-3 Neon Tetra (1''each)
-3 Glowlight Tetra (1''each)
-3 Von Rio Flame Tetra (1''each)
-1 or 2 Bolivian Ram (2''each) (I'll specially order either a male or female depending on the gender of the one i have now)
-Brazillian Pennywort

My tank is a blackwater tank in progress (using extract). I have 2 spiral bamboo plants, 1 ruffled sword, 3 unnamed smaller plants, and another tall plant i forgot the name of. I have a sand/gravel bottom and two decorations that have (fake) plants on them.

Heres some pictures:

Bolivian Ram with the bamboo in the background (Anyone know what gender this is?):
kzUJnbz.jpg

Picture of the tank:
YgqJifA.jpg

The unnamed plant:
8ArcqXF.jpg

Forgot the name of this plant:
zSSNRo8.jpg

The spiral bamboo (cant see the top part with the leaves):
XrZTXyD.jpg

I'm sure you've heard it before but I would get rid of the shark - a potentially aggressive fish - and this would take you down to a heavily stocked but manageable level of fish.

I'd also do two shoals of tetra with 6 fish in each rather than 3 shoals of 4 - as with all shoaling fish you are better off with fewer shoals of more fish. The fish are happier and it stops the tank looking messy.

I'd also only get one more bolivian ram - I think a trio would be harder to manage than a pair.

I agree with above. The bamboo won't survive fully submerged. The long plant is vallisineria.

leighton_87 said:
I'm sure you've heard it before but I would get rid of the shark - a potentially aggressive fish - and this would take you down to a heavily stocked but manageable level of fish.

I'd also do two shoals of tetra with 6 fish in each rather than 3 shoals of 4 - as with all shoaling fish you are better off with fewer shoals of more fish. The fish are happier and it stops the tank looking messy.

I'd also only get one more bolivian ram - I think a trio would be harder to manage than a pair.

Everyone tells me that but i have 0 problems with him, the only time i have a semi problem is when the ram goes in his cave and he chases him off. What fish should i get two schools of then? I was thinking the neons and glowlights but the vonrio is a little agressive for his puny size. He actually trys chasing off my gourami but my gourami doesnt budge hahaha. I agree with the one bolivian but i didnt know if they liked groups or not. I'd like to get the opposite sex but i have no clue on how to sex these fish, i heard the ends of the tail are longer on males?
thereverendturtle said:
I agree with above. The bamboo won't survive fully submerged. The long plant is vallisineria.
I knew it started with a v! The bamboo was actually just going to be for my 15g but when i took it out of the container it was actually 3 pieces so i added them in this tank and it looks good. Hopefully it'll grow taller. It doesnt look like its dieing infact, its actually growing more leaves.

It will grow for a while, then a few weeks to months down the road it will begin to rot.
For your two schools, why not add more von rio tetras and the neons. Nice color contrast between the two. Rams will do just fine on their own.

thereverendturtle said:
It will grow for a while, then a few weeks to months down the road it will begin to rot.
For your two schools, why not add more von rio tetras and the neons. Nice color contrast between the two. Rams will do just fine on their own.
Thanks for the suggestion but the glowlight and neons school together as one group, the vonrios spread all around the tank and are a little bit too active for me. They look great but id rather do the 6fish from 2 groups. I might get 1 other vonrio since last time i had them they paired up so this one will have a buddy. I will keep just my one ram so i can maybe get a algae eater cause im started to notice alot of algae. You think a single borneo sucker will do good?

Borneo suckers aren't great algae eaters. One of the small plecos, like a bulldog pleco would be a better choice.

thereverendturtle said:
Borneo suckers aren't great algae eaters. One of the small plecos, like a bulldog pleco would be a better choice.
Yeah i dont really know much about them so its better to not get one. Im not to into plecos because of the amount of waste they produce but all i know for another small algae eater is an otocinclus. And i dont wanna get like 4-5 of them!! Any suggestions? Or is there a smaller pleco thats like 3i or so inches. The algae i have in this tank is a brown type and its mostly growing on the plants. I have another tank with black hair algae that none of my fish will touch (even the otos). Should i take out the otos from there put them in my 29g and get a different fish to eat that black hair algae?

Snails or shrimp?  They are good algae eaters.

The bulldog pleco I recommended get to 3-3 1/2", so they fit in your size range. You could move the oto's, as long as there is enough algae. The best fish for bba is a Siamese algae eater, sometimes called flying foxes. Just be certain it has a black lateral stripe that goes through the tail fin.

thereverendturtle said:
The bulldog pleco I recommended get to 3-3 1/2", so they fit in your size range. You could move the oto's, as long as there is enough algae. The best fish for bba is a Siamese algae eater, sometimes called flying foxes. Just be certain it has a black lateral stripe that goes through the tail fin.
Alright ill check out that bulldog pleco. Yeah i know a little bit about those and i do know they get to like 10 inches and stop actually eating algae once theyre like 5inches.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back