29g Saltwater Nano Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Man, your posts make me want a saltwater tank sooo bad! Lol. Its just way harder to keep and more expensive... But you're doing amazing! Congrats!
Thanks!

If you get a FOWLR tank (Fish Only With Live Rock) it’s super simple. Also, most soft corals are very easy to keep.

Once you start to delve into LPS and SPS on the other hand… THATS where it gets tricky.

—-

I would say it’s more complicated than salt water, but just because there are a lot more components to deal with.

Diamond spot goby says hello!
AD2C1905-C9BF-403E-BF3A-C7C595703CC1.jpeg
CAB27D9E-697C-49BF-B1B1-AB6D0F20AEF9.jpeg

(decided to name him Mibu. :D )

Thanks! Will do.

What did you feed your favias and how?

I fed all of my LPS and SPS corals Benereef. It’s a fine powdered food that I would mix up in a shot glass full of tank water and then use a long dropper to suck it up and gently squirt onto the polyps. For my large LPS like duncans and acans that have large mouths I would also mix in some frozen krill that I had blended up so that there would be some meatiness to the powdered food.

Not sure how well your goby is getting fed but if you don’t have a whole lot of critters in your sand you can seed the tank with something like Poseidon’s Feast from Algae Barn. The jars come with thousands of copepods. You can also get some Reef Nutrition R.O.E. and soak the eggs in a liquid vitamin supplement like Selcon if he happens to be a picky eater. I had to do that with a twin-spot goby that was difficult to keep fed.

I fed all of my LPS and SPS corals Benereef. It’s a fine powdered food that I would mix up in a shot glass full of tank water and then use a long dropper to suck it up and gently squirt onto the polyps. For my large LPS like duncans and acans that have large mouths I would also mix in some frozen krill that I had blended up so that there would be some meatiness to the powdered food.

Not sure how well your goby is getting fed but if you don’t have a whole lot of critters in your sand you can seed the tank with something like Poseidon’s Feast from Algae Barn. The jars come with thousands of copepods. You can also get some Reef Nutrition R.O.E. and soak the eggs in a liquid vitamin supplement like Selcon if he happens to be a picky eater. I had to do that with a twin-spot goby that was difficult to keep fed.
Awesome, thanks!

I do need to get some reefroids, for the softies and SPS, but the LPS Are happy with eating small mysis.

Yes, so the goby is eating well and is eating mysis if the clowns miss it. He rarely eats pellets though.

Awesome, thanks!

I do need to get some reefroids, for the softies and SPS, but the LPS Are happy with eating small mysis.

Yes, so the goby is eating well and is eating mysis if the clowns miss it. He rarely eats pellets though.

Try Benereef before you get Reef Roids. I started with Roids but I wasn’t thrilled with how my phosphate levels spiked when I used it. Benereef never caused my phosphates nor nitrates to rise when I used it.

I would say it’s more complicated than salt water, but just because there are a lot more components to deal with.
might want to change that to fresh water

--------------------
"The only difference is the salt and inhabitants."

And the $$$.....;)
The $ are only if you want to spend it on fancy corals and fish. One of the members here has set up a temperate marine tank for next to nothing.

Try Benereef before you get Reef Roids. I started with Roids but I wasn’t thrilled with how my phosphate levels spiked when I used it. Benereef never caused my phosphates nor nitrates to rise when I used it.
Ok! I’ll look into that. Should be able to get that off of BRS.

Oops, that was a typo, lol.

The $ are only if you want to spend it on fancy corals and fish. One of the members here has set up a temperate marine tank for next to nothing.
This is true.

I setup the very basic of this tank for about $100. I have spent over $2.4k, on coral, fish, and equipment.

--------------------

Even with corals and fancy fish saltwater isn’t necessarily more expensive than freshwater. I’ve seen people balk at the idea of a saltwater person dropping $80 on a coral/fish but then those same people will go out and spend the same amount getting a handful of tetras or cories shipped to their house.

I think that a lot of folks would be a bit surprised at how much they’ve dumped into their freshwater tanks if they were to price out everything they’ve spent on their animals, equipment, and shipping over the years.

Ok! I’ll look into that. Should be able to get that off of BRS.

Oops, that was a typo, lol.

This is true.

I setup the very basic of this tank for about $100. I have spent over $2.4k, on coral, fish, and equipment.

You play your cards right and you’ll be able to make back a ton of that money fragging out your corals and selling them once they become large colonies.

You play your cards right and you’ll be able to make back a ton of that money fragging out your corals and selling them once they become large colonies.
When that day comes, then definitely!

That’s why I think it’s worth it to buy $100+ palys, because they grow fast and you can frag them quickly.

When I am able to frag, I’ll definitely try to sell to my LFS. It’s so hard to get coral here in KY, so they will be happy I think.

When that day comes, then definitely!

That’s why I think it’s worth it to buy $100+ palys, because they grow fast and you can frag them quickly.

When I am able to frag, I’ll definitely try to sell to my LFS. It’s so hard to get coral here in KY, so they will be happy I think.

Similar situation here in New Mexico. Options for getting marine animals locally are pretty limited in terms of shops. A lot of action goes on with private sales/trading to avoid shipping costs and high store prices.

Clowns!
8EC75E1F-5B65-4624-9A22-0B09C0107A2B.jpeg

Paly duo:
9F6356EA-F581-4C10-804D-B31E6BAF4D33.jpeg

Why hello there cloves… thought you left me:
E7EC902F-A014-4DC2-9F48-192E0E7EE12D.jpeg

Torch:
875D1CC3-DD2D-431B-822A-BE7C1AA889C3.jpeg
Green ricordea: (I think it MIGHT be splitting, but I’m not sure. I hate it when people mount mushrooms on rubble pieces, because then they can’t lay out flat)
040D7083-4333-4788-A3EC-4866D3F6D113.jpeg

Last edited:
Some Duncan pics:
D906619B-1FFC-43F9-86CC-2AF3E071C162.jpeg
E2C9D144-5E03-47D4-BD09-28275C46AC02.jpeg

You can really see the new heads starting to come in under the head on the right.
C8488472-C631-4A65-A8F3-226F56B7E0CF.jpeg

Also, the baby head all the way to the left is really starting to push out.
370CF814-198F-4B46-82B3-7BBB969013CB.jpeg

——

And a Kenya pic just for fun :p
311446A0-DF26-4128-B697-DC36E2DF4D4F.jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back