29g Low Tech Lps/softies

Trust me those babies are only going to serve as a meal for everything else in the tank, they won't live but don't panic if you tank is cloudy one day and its a bunch of tiny shrimp.

I don't think pistols will go for hermits or brittle stars but crabs and shrimp around the same size are in danger.
If you want, you can buy a yellow watchman goby and they should* pair up, the shrimp will dig a hole and the goby will chill with the shrimp

Well, I traded it to someone for a mushroom polyp. I also found a NPS on a piece of LR, a Phyllangia :D

I have been spot feeding my Phyllangia with BS, I may have over fed and now I may have an ammonia issue. Although i'm not entirely sure of the value (red/green color deficiency). The ammonia is somewhere between 0.2ppm and 2ppm and my nitrate is somewhere between 0ppm and 10ppm lol. Might as well not even bother testing tbh. I got a calcium test, which is slightly easier to read then the formers, I'm at 500ppm.

I found 2 more species of Coral on my LR. Palythoa caribaeorum or Caryophyllia smithii and Montastrea cavernosa. Montastrea cavernosa has 2 bleached polyps out of 6ish. Moved some rock around to make the hitchhikers more visible. These guys are nonphoto right?

There is also this white fungus growing on some of the LR that is covered in growth. The fungus spreads rapidly. I discovered it when I poked it and put a hole in it with almost no pressure and gunk started to ooze out of it. Siphoned some of that crap out. It smells sooooo bad :no: . I double dosed prime, hope I can keep the bleaching from spreading, it is the only living colony of montastrea I have found on my rock.

YvU8y.jpg

DnuO3.jpg

Also, current parameters:

Ph: Chems give me- 7.9-8.1 digital reads(model ph600 +/-0.2)- 7.9
dKH: 10.08
Grav: 1.025
Calcium: 520
Mg: no test kit
Ammo: 0.01-0.05 (on my seachem ammonia alert in-tank indicator; the only one I can read easily)

I had my lights off for a bit, ill leave them on and see what happens to the PH

Went to the LFS and had Nitrates tested. I was at 20ppm. I'm dosing Iron to help grow my cheato I also got a mangrove \0/

if have nitrate that high and ammonia in any amount

water changes

water changes

water changes

WATER CHANGES

But my tap contains chloramine :(. Seems a bit counterproductive. I haven't tested the tap recently but I remember having 0.1ppm of ammonia in it. In my FW tanks the filters work it out in no time.

I'm doing 2x2.5g changes a day. I might start buying DI water.

never ever ever EVER use tap water for salt
the water has to be RO water that way it has absolutely nothing in it BUT H2O
the minerals and other stuff goes in with the salt that you mix in to get the right salinity
your LFS should carry RO water if not your grocery will have it.

actually your LFS may even be selling salt water in that case buy that until you can get your own mixing going later on

My LFS sells saltwater, $6 for 5gallons, and 5g of ro for $2-3. I have no idea what their parameters are for their saltwater though and if it is ocean water I would rather not have it. I really hate the idea of buying water. Then I have to add stuff I already took out bleh. It makes sense, it just sounds expensive lol.

Not strictly true, some salt mixes actually require mixing with tap water to obtain some trace elements (usually the cheaper salt mixes).

Many people actually recommend filling the tank at first with de-chlorinated tap water and salt mix before moving onto using R/O for water changes and top ups.

I personally wouldn't use tap water after the initial filling and would rather use a better salt mix and then add trace elements as required.

I really hate the idea of buying water. Then I have to add stuff I already took out bleh.
True, but your also removing all the unwanted stuff such as Chlorine, Fluoride, Copper, etc. and by adding stuff you can control what goes into your tank.

It makes sense, it just sounds expensive lol.
It's a marine tank, they are expensive :)

Just back from Majorca and all drinking water is bought. Cost about 2 euro for 5 litres and we were getting that every second day. It put buying RO into perspective for me. I'd use 25 litres every 2 weeks at a cost of £2.50.

Not strictly true, some salt mixes actually require mixing with tap water to obtain some trace elements (usually the cheaper salt mixes).

Many people actually recommend filling the tank at first with de-chlorinated tap water and salt mix before moving onto using R/O for water changes and top ups.

I personally wouldn't use tap water after the initial filling and would rather use a better salt mix and then add trace elements as required.

I would then suggest not using that salt mix, a good salt mix should have those trace elements in it, if it suggests to put tap water that is just asking for cyano and a bunch of other nasties.

Which is exactly what I said.

My only point was that a statement that you should "never ever ever EVER use tap water for salt " is misleading, there are situations where it is used and if people cannot get hold of R/O water it doesn't mean they can't have a marine tank.

Most reactions

Back