29 Gallon Upgrade

Now the question is what to do about the platy I currently have. I don't want to get any more livebearers anyways. I don't want to deal with all the fry. But I have my one. Even if I were to give him away, anything in my area is using the same source water that I have.

Now the question is what to do about the platy I currently have. I don't want to get any more livebearers anyways. I don't want to deal with all the fry. But I have my one. Even if I were to give him away, anything in my area is using the same source water that I have.
Do you have a local pet store that would take it?
The source water will just have to suffice.

You could keep the platy for the rest of its life just don't get any more (or other hard water fish)
That's what I was doing anyways. I like this little guy. He's got personality. But I don't want any more livebearers. So I'm not going to replace him. I checked the rest of my prospective livestock that I listed in the OP and I think the rest of them are ok with the water hardness I have now.

The fish you mentioned - both the honey gouramis you have and the fish you want - are fine in that hardness.

I have to say that this has been really helpful and educational so far. I'm also going to check on the prospective plants compatibility with my source water hardness.

Picked up a glass lid today. Nothing fancy. Just an Aqueon.

Now I'm trying to decide between these two internal filters...

Penn-Plax Cascade 600 Fully Submersible Internal Filter – Provides Physical, Biological, and Chemical Filtration for Freshwater and Saltwater Aquariums https://a.co/d/glHJoDl

Or...

Fluval U3 Underwater Filter, Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Filter, A475 https://a.co/d/8ywDq1W

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This question of filters is a good place to review the intended fish, as there are some concerns.

First, Danio margaritatus is worth a rethink. This species is best in a group of 20, and in their own tank. This will allow them to behave and interact naturally, which is very rewarding to the aquarist. The intended 29g tank would suit them to a "T" but on their own.

If you eliminate the above, the panda cories need some water flow, more than many other fish, so the internal filter is a better choice.

Gourami do not fit with either of these situations. They need very sedate tankmates to avoid getting nipped, and they dislike water movement.

The platy is not going to do well in your water, it will probably hang on. I wouldnot worry about the store water, as they probably have dozens of livebearers. And hopefully those buying them understand their needs. You can't buy all the hard water fish to save them.

This question of filters is a good place to review the intended fish, as there are some concerns.

First, Danio margaritatus is worth a rethink. This species is best in a group of 20, and in their own tank. This will allow them to behave and interact naturally, which is very rewarding to the aquarist. The intended 29g tank would suit them to a "T" but on their own.

If you eliminate the above, the panda cories need some water flow, more than many other fish, so the internal filter is a better choice.

Gourami do not fit with either of these situations. They need very sedate tankmates to avoid getting nipped, and they dislike water movement.

The platy is not going to do well in your water, it will probably hang on. I wouldnot worry about the store water, as they probably have dozens of livebearers. And hopefully those buying them understand their needs. You can't buy all the hard water fish to save them.
I already have the gourami and platy. No plans on getting anymore livebearers.
When you say sedate tankmates. Like what?

I already have the gourami and platy. No plans on getting anymore livebearers.
When you say sedate tankmates. Like what?

Fish that do not actively swim but rather cruise, such as gourami, hatchetfish, pencilfish, rasboras, many tetras such as the disk-shaped "Rosy" species. Active swimmers include the danios, barbs (most), botine loaches. These are generalities, there will always usually anyway be exceptions, but you do not want danios and barbs in with gourami as an example.

Fish that do not actively swim but rather cruise, such as gourami, hatchetfish, pencilfish, rasboras, many tetras such as the disk-shaped "Rosy" species. Active swimmers include the danios, barbs (most), botine loaches. These are generalities, there will always usually anyway be exceptions, but you do not want danios and barbs in with gourami as an example.
Hmmmm thinking. Salt and pepper corys don't need a flow and are more active during the day. Dwarf pencilfish might be a good swap for the CPDs.

I've been rethinking the livestock and filtration. Now I'm thinking of just going with just sponge filters so as to not have a lot of current in the tank and going with fish that prefer less flow. I want corys and according to Seriously Fish, Corydoras Habrosus (Salt and pepper cory) prefer areas where the water flow isn't strong.
Rasbora sarawakensis (Blue line rasbora) seem like good candidates. Maybe Nannostomus marginatus (Dwarf pencilfish). Possibly Trigonostigma heteromorpha (Harlequin rasboras), a mix of the red and purple varieties, but they might need a little more flow.
I'm interested in trying out all sponge filtration. I know the sponge itself acts as a bio medium. But I want the kind that has an extra compartment for bio beads. And either has a bubble disfuser built in or something I can rig with an air stone.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back