29-gallon aquarium stocking ideas

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ah, now you need to do the GH and pH test of the water before it goes through the softener. Many of these seem to be connected only to the kitchen faucet, so test the water from another faucet if you can, unless all are run off the softener. Softeners frequently use sodium chloride salts (common salt) in place of the calcium and magnesium salts, and sodium chloride is harmful to freshwater fish (when used permanently).
I have a pump outside that does not use the softner. Should I use that for filling my tank instead?

So I recently made a thread about stocking the new 29-gallon tank I am getting. I have changed the starting fish that are going to be in it. I will be starting with 1 otocinclus cat and 2 neon tetras. What else should I put in to make it a full tank?

Sodium chloride is harmful to freshwater fish. This is scientific fact. And there has never been any science to counter this. The problems are explained in my article, and there are other articles on the subject (which agree, naturally) by Dr. Neale Monks on the site, if you don't want to take my word for it.

So it's not harmful?
Maybe when saying something like that it would be good to explain why.
...And maybe Byron could repeat his relatively unpopular theory as to why it is?
I know he favours a particular piece of science and implies that everyone else is wrong because of this.

Essentially, natural fresh water, the environment in which fish reside, contains all manner of minerals/electrolytes, etc. and these are necessary for fish health.
Besides facilitating good immune systems, it also works against bacteria and fungal organisms.
Tap water has many of these removed and, when you throw in water conditioners, etc., the water we expect our fish to thrive in is relatively sterile, lacking those essential minerals and electrolytes.
Basic Aquarium Salt addresses this issue without having to carefully contact a mix of minerals.
This very basic concept is supported by all of the knowledgeable aquarists and fishkeepers I'm familiar with on YouTube.

Problems arise when people throw in basic table salt, or other salt that hasn't been recommended for aquarium use, which contains harmful (to fish) additives, such as extra minerals or anti-clogging/clumping agents.
Problems also arise when people overdose the stuff...as with anything that you can add to a tank.

In a relatively low dose, it'll maintain a basic, healthy level. At a slightly increased dose, it'll destroy fungi and bacteria and other pathogenic organisms.

Have you got a link to the other thread so we know what has happened?

Neon tetras should be kept in groups of 10 or more.

Otocinclus catfish like a bit of company and you can normally keep 5 or 6 together in an established tank. make sure there is algae and driftwood for them.

-----------------
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

I could keep quiet, but when false information without any foundation is being posted others have the right to know it. Electrolytes/minerals are not the issue. Sodium chloride (what we regard as common salt like sea salt or aquarium salt) is one mineral and one that is harmful to freshwater fish [when used regularly, a temporary treatment for something is a totally different matter] that comes from soft waters especially (like the otos and neons mentioned), and is also best avoided with most hard water fish as they need a range of mineral salts (calcium, etc) and not sodium chloride.

The level of sodium chloride in habitat waters is so low it is next to zero. There is absolutely no benefit from using sodium chloride as some sort of miracle "tonic."

The information in my article I linked is scientific. I have previously asked for rebuttal scientific evidence but none has ever been provided--because there is none. The opinion of any member including myself is worthless when it contradicts the science.

This thread is fine, but be careful not to continue two distinct threads with the same issue, as members need to see what other members post so we are together, and you get better advice.

Have you got a link to the other thread so we know what has happened?

Neon tetras should be kept in groups of 10 or more.

Otocinclus catfish like a bit of company and you can normally keep 5 or 6 together in an established tank. make sure there is algae and driftwood for them.

-----------------
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).
The dimensions are 30x12x18

So I recently made a thread about stocking the new 29-gallon tank I am getting. I have changed the starting fish that are going to be in it. I will be starting with 1 otocinclus cat and 2 neon tetras. What else should I put in to make it a full tank?
yo, both of those fish are social animals, keep 10 of each, not 1 and 2

I have merged the two threads so that all the posts are together. The posts from #19 on are a bit mixed up as the software puts the posts in time posted order rather than sort them by which thread they were originally in.

Most reactions

Back