25g Capacity

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

make sure you get an aquacultured bangaii since they are on the endangered list now, are they illegal to catch as well?
Actually, they are not too bad now that further stocks have been found on other islands. They are so abundant and legal to catch now that many commercial breeders stopped as the cost of raising the fry made the Captive Bred specimens far more expensive than the wild caught.

not what i heard.... but a lot can happen after two or three weeks on an endangered list....

Overstocked for a 25G IMO. Can't put 2 gobies together. The clowns should have been put in as a pair simultaneously if you ask me and as small as possible to start. SH

not what i heard.... but a lot can happen after two or three weeks on an endangered list....
Exactly what, and from where, did you read? The fish was lined up for CITES for some time. I read a guide from an American breeder who got a few for a captive breeding program but he ended up scaling back as a new area of banggai cardinalfish habitation was discovered (similar to the FW galaxy rasbora). Once the new location came about the price of the fish bottomed out so he could no longer make a profit from breeding the fish. Wholesale price for a wild caught fish is $5-7 per fish. If the fish was really so close to extinction the price would be nearer its original price of circa $100 a fish.

Certainly the capture of the fish from the wild needs to be managed, but a wholesale cessation of it is not necessary. And the endangered list has not made the catching of them illegal.

Can't put 2 gobies together.
Sorry, just saw this. Are you sure on this SH? I used to keep 2 different gobies in one 30 gallon tank, and now keep 3 gobies in my larger reef.

Can't put 2 gobies together.

I dont mean to be disagreeing with your SH but Littleme on this website has successfully kept 3 diffent varietys of Goby in her tank without a problem, these incluse a blackbar, a yellow clown, and a red clown goby! -_-

I have gone against the idea of keeping a yellow watchman goby anyway so I think i might just stick with a clown goby instead!

So when do you think I should add my second Clownfish? As I do not want them fighting etc :unsure:

Although I agree that very different types MAY be OK, you CAN create conflict. If there are many crevices and the tank tends to be on the larger size, there might be enough 'space' for them. Whether or not there is compatibility, I don't see why you would want to cram so many species in such a small space. More fish equals bigger tank. One thing we CAN'T say for sure is how much stress this puts the fish under. It comes down to being a conscientious aquarist. Sure...you can put 10 fish in a nano tank if you want.

SH

PS...disagreeing is what forums are for. SH

Although I agree that very different types MAY be OK, you CAN create conflict. If there are many crevices and the tank tends to be on the larger size, there might be enough 'space' for them. Whether or not there is compatibility, I don't see why you would want to cram so many species in such a small space. More fish equals bigger tank. One thing we CAN'T say for sure is how much stress this puts the fish under. It comes down to being a conscientious aquarist. Sure...you can put 10 fish in a nano tank if you want.

SH

PS...disagreeing is what forums are for. SH
But putting 10 fish in a nano wasn't my point and has not really been touched upon here; I am somewhat confused as to why you raise it. I was specifically answering the no more than 2 gobies in a tank statement as I have never come across this before and have never had any troubles with mixing gobies. I admit my current tank has a mix of 3 different types of goby (1 cryptic nocturnal species, 1 coral dweller and 1 sand sifter) and it is a fairly large tank, but even so, I have never seen anything like a spark of aggression, even though two used to spend 75% or more of their time within 5" of each other in plain sight.

Let's be honest, any statement about all gobies is always going to be massively sweeping, the family Gobiidae is the largest in the fish world with at least 267 genera and 2,100 described species according to Wet Web Media. That in itself means you cannot talk of the Family as a whole. And that is before including fish that aren't really gobies, but are often lumped in with them.

That in itself means you cannot talk of the Family as a whole
I certainly agree with this. Though just to nitpick, the family Cyprinidae is larger than the family Gobiidae, with around 2400 and 2100 described species respectively. Though I wouldn't be surprised the the described goby species one day exceeded the number of described cyprinids.

That in itself means you cannot talk of the Family as a whole
I certainly agree with this. Though just to nitpick, the family Cyprinidae is larger than the family Gobiidae, with around 2400 and 2100 described species respectively. Though I wouldn't be surprised the the described goby species one day exceeded the number of described cyprinids.
It all depends on which taxonomic revision you read as to how many species are in which families. Take the Family Scorpaenidae, most people put the lionfishes (subfamily Pteroinae) in with the Scorpaenidae, yet some people point out the many differences between lionfishes and other scorps (such as lions are the only open water swimmers and not just staying on the bottom). As a result some people put them in their own Family.

My fact on them being the largest came from a book, it could be that the Cyrpinidae has undergone a revision and included more recently.

Hell, considering there is no actual standard definition of a species, commenting on groups of species can be viewed upon as insecure at best ;)

Hell, considering there is no actual standard definition of a species, commenting on groups of species can be viewed upon as insecure at best
Yup. I define 'species' as "something man at the current time thinks is different enough from something else to be given it's own name". :lol:

Wikipedia said:
The various fish groups taken together account for more than half of the known vertebrates. There are almost 28,000 known extant species of fish, of which almost 27,000 are bony fish, with the remainder being about 970 sharks, rays, and chimeras and about 108 hagfishes and lampreys.[sup][11][/sup] A third of all of these species are contained within the nine largest families; from largest to smallest, these families are Cyprinidae, Gobiidae, Cichlidae, Characidae, Loricariidae, Balitoridae, Serranidae, Labridae, and Scorpaenidae. On the other hand, about 64 families are monotypic, containing only one species. It is predicted that the eventual number of total extant species will be at least 32,500.[sup][12][/sup]
[sup][/sup]

for your tank you probably should go without the yellowtail damsel and the firefish. try and get a shrimp goby or a jawfish. Jawfish and Gobies will probably get into fights with each other so choose one or the other. dotty backs, blennies, or basslets would be ok too. i dont know about the neon goby. the pj wrasse or a pygmy/dwarf angelfish. the bangaii would be fine. i think there are better choices than a neon goby but it would work.

for your tank you probably should go without the yellowtail damsel and the firefish
Why? Either would probably be good choices... and neon gobies are one of the best choices in my opinion. They are easy to feed, may clean fish and can be purchased tank-raised. Dottybacks and Basslets can be as mean as any damsel, so I wouldn't recommend these for a docile setup.

Also Jawfish and Gobies are not related. As long as a docile goby species was chosen (not difficult) they should get along fine... is there any reason why they wouldn't?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back