25g Capacity

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

1entra

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I'll be ready to stcok my marine tank soon and was wondering how many marine fish I would be able to keep in a 25G nano reef? I have approx 22kg of live rock along with a HOB regugium with LR rubble for added biological filteration.
Would it be OK to keep 4 or maybe 5 fish? :huh:

The following is a list of fish I would like to have:

Clownfish (defo want a nemo!) - 1 maybe 2. Is it best to have a false perc or a true perc?
Emperor/Banghai Cardinal
Yellowtail blue damsel
Neon Goby
Pajama Wrasse
Firefish

I beleive all the above to be suitable for a both a beginner and a nano reef? Id prefer fish which wern't too greedy as i'd still like some microfauna in the tank if at all posibble. ;)

Can anybody please assist...? :)

I find that for smaller tanks, about two to three small fish per ten gallons works well as a maximum. Since your tank has a refugium you should have no problem at all with five or six fish.

Regarding the clownfish, I personally find ocellaris clowns to be unremarkable "bread and butter" (especially since everyone and their fricken' dog has a pair), and would recommend perculas above them. Clark's anemonefish, maroons, blue-bandeds and skunks are my favourites, and Clark's especially are interesting since they seem the "horniest" when it comes to finding a host. They have been reported hosting corals, sarcophyton, tubeworms, powerheads and even a watchman goby.

Everything else seems fine, though the neon goby and wrasse may hinder the tank's microfauna growing capacity.

Thanks for the reply lynden. ;) I am thinking about getting 1 fish per month so that way the biological filteration should be able to steadily cope with it all without causing any stress to the tank and thus causing it to crash.

By the way are clowns best kept singular or in a pair?

Either is fine, though pairs seem more "proper" to me. Trying to introduce a clownfish into a tank with another established one can occasionally have negative consequences, so keep a sharp eye.

make sure you get an aquacultured bangaii since they are on the endangered list now, are they illegal to catch as well?

Well I originally wanted a pair of clownfish and plan on introducing them in the tank together when they are at a young age and small size, that way they should pair off as they mature (hopefully!). This should help avoid any future problems. So which of the other fish listed should I not get in order to make room for the clown? :(

One thing I forgot to meantion ealier is that my tank does not have a lid or coverglass. It is open top with an overhead illuminaire. Im assuming this will make a big difference in what fish I can get for the tank as I do not want any carpet sufers?! So are any of my fish choices known for their acrobatic jumping skills? This may help narrow my choices! :huh:

As far as banghai are concerned I did not know they were indangered as every single fish shop I've been to seems to stock the in vast numbers (probably why they are endangered!)! -_- Well anyways thanks for the heads up, I will ask to purchase an aquacultured one!

Thanks

uhh, my fault but aquacultured wasnt the right word, tank bred or tank raised is more like it lol, aquacultured is more of a coral term....

Yeah they became endangered because they were over caught.

Look into egg-crate, it lets light in and keeps fish in as well.

Il have a look into eggcrate. but until i get some or another form of cover glass, which fish would not jump out or have less chance of doing so?

I didnt think aquacultured was the right word but thought I would agree with you ;)

Well what fish... can anybody please advice on fish from the above list that would be safe to keep in an open tank aquarium with no lid as I do not wish for anything bad to happen to any of my livestock? :blink:

i dunno wether pajama wrasses like most wrasses jump ....

firefish will most certainly try carpet surfing.

best to put eggcrate or net over just to be sure, id be racked with worry if i had an open top tank.

yellow clown gobys are cool bright and small and also orchid dottybacks are a lush fish.

ive been looking for some eggcrate but it seems hard to come by. does anybody know where I can get some from in the UK? I think I might give the firefish a miss for now till I get some eggcrate or something. What else can be used as a cover for the tank? :huh:

netting may work. it still lets light through and on a little wooden fram it would be tight and sturdy. pond netting should do.

hmm, almost any fish will jump if provoked, some fish more keen on jumping than others... Hmm, egg crate would be best since it doesnt block out too much light, but mosquito netting would work as well, but since its flexible i wouldnt like it.... You could perhaps get a sheet of acrylic and drill lots of holes in it maybe? Could do the same with untempered glass but acrylic would be so much easier lol.

I have bought myself 1 small clownfish (approx 2") about a week ago, was going to get 2 but didnt wana stress the bio-load too much as my tank has only recently finished cycling as it is a new set-up! I would like the following fish:
  • Banghai Cardinal
  • Another Clownfish so I can have a pair
  • Pajama Wrasse
  • Yellow Watchman Goby
  • Clown Goby?

I have been quite put off the idea of a neon goby as my mrs aint too keen on them for some reason!

What order would you recommend I get the above fish in so they do not suffer any bullying etc? :unsure:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back