25g Capacity

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
none are bad choices at all they are just my personal choice. but it doesnt matter i should be giving info for your tank not mine.

for your tank you probably should go without the yellowtail damsel and the firefish
Why? Either would probably be good choices... and neon gobies are one of the best choices in my opinion. They are easy to feed, may clean fish and can be purchased tank-raised. Dottybacks and Basslets can be as mean as any damsel, so I wouldn't recommend these for a docile setup.

Also Jawfish and Gobies are not related. As long as a docile goby species was chosen (not difficult) they should get along fine... is there any reason why they wouldn't?

from what ive been told gobies and jawfish may fight over territory if the tank is to small. i think 25 gallons is just to small for both species to live happily.

I might be upgrading to a 30galoon tank in the next few weeks, just looking for the right tank at the minute! So here is a list of my fish I wish to get:
  • 2 x Clownfish
  • 1 x Banghai Cardinal
  • 1 x Yellow Clown Goby or Neon Goby
  • 1 x Blenny of some sort... Algae/Lawnmower or Scooter? Which is more adequate for this set-up/tank?
  • 1 x Pajama Wrasse

Is that a better list? As I want fish that will be quite docile but at the same time something for everything ie. constant swimmers and rock gliders (blenny), fish with a personality in general and not 'boring' so are fun to watch and are always up to something and so are entertaining! :unsure:

I might be upgrading to a 30galoon tank in the next few weeks, just looking for the right tank at the minute! So here is a list of my fish I wish to get:
  • 2 x Clownfish
  • 1 x Banghai Cardinal
  • 1 x Yellow Clown Goby or Neon Goby
  • 1 x Blenny of some sort... Algae/Lawnmower or Scooter? Which is more adequate for this set-up/tank?
  • 1 x Pajama Wrasse

Is that a better list? As I want fish that will be quite docile but at the same time something for everything ie. constant swimmers and rock gliders (blenny), fish with a personality in general and not 'boring' so are fun to watch and are always up to something and so are entertaining! :unsure:

if you want personality...Jawfish Jawfish Jawfish!!! The cardinal is a beautiful fish but it isnt extremely active just kind of hovers in a spot or two. i dont know about yellow clown goby but the neon goby is another that stays in a spot. Are you doing a reef tank?

I would not recommend the lawnmower blenny or scooter blenny for this setup. They can easily overpredate the tank (hair algae in the case of the lawnmower) and starve to death. Maybe an Escenius or Meiacanthus would be better.

if you want personality...Jawfish Jawfish Jawfish!!! The cardinal is a beautiful fish but it isnt extremely active just kind of hovers in a spot or two. i dont know about yellow clown goby but the neon goby is another that stays in a spot. Are you doing a reef tank?
It's all very well insisting a jawfish is good, but perhaps you should also add the requirement to have a 5-8" deep sand bed for them to burrow in. With smaller tanks (even 30 gallons) that is going to lose a lot of room in the tank.

Did i see my name mentioned..lol
Gobies..
I did have 3 in my 25g I Red Clown 1 yellow glown and a black bar. The black bar ended up carpet surfing, but this was due to my yellow tail damsel and his digging addiction. He constantly likes to turf sand from under rocks wether there is anything living there or not and the black bar moved homes on several occasions due to this behaviour. the damsel was not in any way agressive towards the black bar his just likes to dig :) I think the night he jumped out the damsel must have startled him while he was asleep as there was the usual sand movement around his hole the next morning. Sad but these things happen. The other 2 gobies tolerate each other with no issues. they often sit on the finger leather together side by side and no agression at feeding time either. But they where added at the same time.
My Yellow tail damsel again has no issues with the other fish, the only thing ive seen him fall out with is the crabs, and then its only if they venture into his cave.
Royal dotty back, as mentioned above these can be really nasty fish if they find something they can bully, mine took a serious dislike to my scooter blenny and spent his days chasing him all over the tank until I got rid of him. But the dotty back never really showed any agression to any of the other fish.
Scooter blennies are ace!! :) if you can find one that feeds well on frozen food get it!, but make sure it is eating as they can be like mandarins, very picky with food and hard to get eating.
I think you can get away with a slight over stock, as long as your perameters are stable, the water is well filtered and you have alot of rock with planty of hiding places to dilute any agression that i think occurs in most tanks on the odd occasion. But like anything it does mean you have to spend that little extra time on keeping an eye on things, checking stats, regular water changes and cleaning etc. But most importantly is that the fish get on! Its been trial and error in my tank as my first fish was a badly advised tomato clown, ive had to be very careful what other fish I put in there. Making sure I have swimmers and fish that purch so that most of the tank is used for living accomadation.

Your curent list looks good, I would start with the clown fish first, let them settle, then move onto your least agressive fish, making sure that the most agressive goes in last only when the others are well settled.

It's all very well insisting a jawfish is good, but perhaps you should also add the requirement to have a 5-8" deep sand bed for them to burrow in. With smaller tanks (even 30 gallons) that is going to lose a lot of room in the tank.

smaller jawfish will be fine in a 3 inch deep sand bed

Well thats still no good for me as although I have a reef tank, it is not that big and my sand bed is approx 2" deep at the deepest parts, aint really got room for a bigger one, so jawfish (although I like them) are out of the equation! :no:

Thanks all you guys for your inputs! :good:

So are there any other fish that will adhere to and perch on the rockwork and sand bed like the lawnmower/scooter blennys do?

Well thats still no good for me as although I have a reef tank, it is not that big and my sand bed is approx 2" deep at the deepest parts, aint really got room for a bigger one, so jawfish (although I like them) are out of the equation! :no:

Thanks all you guys for your inputs! :good:

So are there any other fish that will adhere to and perch on the rockwork and sand bed like the lawnmower/scooter blennys do?

sorry about going crazy on the jawfish. clown gobies perch along with hawkfish and shrimp gobies too.

Hawkfish are awesome fish. Very personable and feed readily on anything. Make sure you buy a smaller species (pixy, longnose) as the large ones may eat small shrimp.

sorry about going crazy on the jawfish. clown gobies perch along with hawkfish and shrimp gobies too.

No its fine, I'd luv a jawfish... just aint got the room for one at the minute! -_-

Make sure you buy a smaller species (pixy, longnose) as the large ones may eat small shrimp

So a long nose hawkfish would be ok to go in a reef set-up with the rest of the fish I have? I've heard rumours they aint compatible? :unsure:

Ive just read up that hawfish can grow up to 5" long, I believe this is too big for my tank and only want fish that will grow 3" max.

A 30 gallon or larger aquarium is acceptable for a long nose hawkfish, and should have a tight-fitting lid to prevent escape. The Longnose Hawkfish is a hardy, semi-aggressive fish but other larger hawkfish will overpower it. Although it eats small fish and shrimp, it makes an excellent reef inhabitant under the proper conditions. It likes to be perch on and be camouflaged by the Red Gorgonian Sea Fan or other similar decor.

I also aint got a tight fitting lid as my aquarium is open top!

So any other recommendations?

By the way would you count as serpent/Brittle Star as being a fish or an invert? :unsure: Would one affetc the bio-load in the tank? As I have got one in my tank at present!

Brittle stars are effective scavengers of large debris. They would help lessen the bio-load.

Brilliant! :good:

So recommendations on any other fish that would be suited to a nano reef and add some colour/charactor to the tank?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back