24 hours; how critical is this?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

twintanks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm bringing an old "retired" tank back into use and have been doing a fishless cycle for the past 35 days. Now, I have done a few of these before, so you'd think I should know the answer....but I am finding that my ammonia and nitrite readings are reaching zero together, but in about 30 hours and not 24. I've just done full dose 5, so should be close to completion.
How critical is the 24 hour ruling? It doesn't matter to me much, I am in no rush to put fish in. The tank will be running at around 25 gallons (UK)/112 litres or so and will not be heavily stocked...I am moving my little ones (8 rasboras and a tetra) from their tank because it's become infested with hair algae and needs nuking (hence the totally clean start for cycling new tank).

Should be fine. As always monitor both carfully for the first few days and be ready to respond with a large water change if needed.

I was hoping so, too. It's been bordering on success for a few days now. I shall look forward to getting them moved (but not to cleaning their old tank out! :( ).

I think you’re only a few days away from being successful in cycling to clear both ammonia and nitrite in 24 hours.

Though never had this particular question but think it should be fine as you’re so close and the bb will easily deal with any ammonia under 3ppm.

8 rasboras and one tetra is not even going to produce 1ppm ammonia in 24 hours anyhow so I would say it’s pretty safe to do so.

Bit just in case, keep an eye on the water test levels.

To be honest 3ppm ammonia is a LOT of ammonia for a normally stocked tank to produce so generally speaking it’s a little overjust to be in the safe side in case people really overstock their tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back