224G Diy Plywood Tank And Stand From Start To Finish :)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fantastic effort mate, really good. Makes your telly look like a portable though! :p
Thanks mate,
yeah i know lol.. the things we fishkeepers sacrifice in the search for the perfect tank.
though i only got the tv after winning a grand from a scratch card so cant complain really :hyper:

this is cool. Well done OP.

Im really tempted to do this myself. Ive worked with wood before, and a little fiberglass work years ago, but the only thing holding me back is the final cost. I know it works out "a little" cheaper, as long as u make it big. I thoroughly enjoy building things, so this would be the main draw for me. and i think the wife would take it better if i was building something and the costs wouldnt look so big when spread out over time :lol: do u have an estimate on how much u actually spent? it seems the resins and paints and coatings of whatever always cost the most. I think with one of those juwel 3d background or the like, you wouldnt really be able to tell it was a plywood box. depending on the placement of the tank i guess.

i also dont really know much about "finishing work" to make the wood look super nice and furniture like. i think it would fun to do tho!

hi
i,ve spent around £400 all in.
i wouldnt like to buy a fish tank 6 by 3 by 2ft in n.ireland, i reckon you'd be talking £2000. though i checked my lfs yesterday and they dont even have tanks that big.
The fibreglass resin and topcoat cost £100
the 19mm glass was £135
£120 for the 2 by 4's and 3/4 inch plywood
and finally £45 for the screws, silicone and wood glue.
I still have to build a sump which i reckon will cost £100 for pump, pipes and media.
So £500 for a 224Gallon aquarium, pretty good saving and if you can go bigger the difference in cost really takes off.
cheers Paul

yeah i know lol,
thats why i went with the wooden stand as it spreads the weight.
Its also sitting across 4-5 joists so it should be fine, fingers crossed :rolleyes:

hello again folks,
i found this old thread and figured id show you guys how it looked when finished,
SAM_0401.jpg

cheers

Looks really smart :) top job!!
thanks jojo ( we always called my sis the same, is your prop name josephine ? :) ).
well done with your 180, its a lovely planted tank.
ive tried and failed with the plants before and now my tanks 3ft deep ive just given up lol
cheers
Paul

Good grief its gorgeous. you must be really proud of it

Good grief its gorgeous. you must be really proud of it
thanks very much,
i have to admit i am proud of it, especially as its the only building project ive ever done.
i also just love having a tank this size because of the stocking options it gives you..

i love the fake lamp in the corner, whats going on with the wood floating there? makes it look really dark and lifeless!

i love the fake lamp in the corner, whats going on with the wood floating there? makes it look really dark and lifeless!

Its not as dark as it looks in the pics, though im getting sick of the wood myself and have been trying to get the motivation together to haul it out of the tank.
im planning on making a 3d background of some kind, not sure what style ill go for just yet..

I might have to be the odd one out and say i dont actually like the look of it very much, i much prefer the look of a glass tanks, but a great effort and thumbs up for making it water tight :)

there are proofed marine ply tanks that look just like a glass tank. until you look closely the seem like a glass tank with three side painted.

much simpler, and lighter to make too.
ply joints are mitred and silicone sealed. and the glass just slots in and is silicone sealed too. no need to have a fiber glass lining either.
the top bracing is hiden by your hood.
if you do a forum search, for plywood tank, or variations there of, and I'm sure there is a very old thread. from someone who made and used one.
and its vastly cheaper than a glass tank would be.

@OP that tank look CLASS.
ps, a passing comment from my wife.

Hi, just came across this topic as a plywood tank was mentioned.

A very good job I reckon. You're right about the cost of tanks in N.I. getting anything larger than the Rio 400 is very difficult and certainly not your size of tank!! Grosvenor Tropicals had a 5ft x 2ft x 2ft Clearseal tank for £500 and clearseal will make custom sized tanks of up to 12ft x 3ft x 3ft i'm told but these cost thousands.

Excellent value for money and a good job done too.

This had never occurred to me that it'd be possible. Thinking about doing something similar now too. Rock type background as previously suggested, reflective polyurethane insulation between the supports too. Now, you've got me really thinking!! :lol:

I agree with Tizer the tank looks to dark, but looks great otherwise. Where did you get that piece of wood from? How large and heavy is it? Can you post a picture with the room lights on?

One more question how is it floating? The wood is a great idea and pretty unique how it is set up but it is huge.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back