200L Mbuna Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
3 to 6 ideally. Not to many, even though this species is less aggressive and can be in smaller tanks the males will still have a rant with one another if there is too many. I saw in your pics what looked to have the potential to be a couple of males. Venting them is the only true possible way of knowing what sex they. They will start to show some colour soon enough mate, when you getting the others.

3 to 6 ideally. Not to many, even though this species is less aggressive and can be in smaller tanks the males will still have a rant with one another if there is too many. I saw in your pics what looked to have the potential to be a couple of males. Venting them is the only true possible way of knowing what sex they. They will start to show some colour soon enough mate, when you getting the others.

I got an email from northantsmalawis saying he just got about 30 ish saulosi, by the sound of it there fry at the moment, but iv asked him to reserve 10 for me and contact me when there ready at 1"

I wanted to order from a different place so I have 10 from a different bloodline incase they breed.

Is there any way I can tell for sure which are male or female out of the ones I have at the moment ? Some have got a dot on the underside of there back fin, I'm guessing that's a tell.

Ahh no worries. Im guessing these are on the anal fin? Egg spots? This sometimes can indicate that they are males but females can have egg spots to, so that's not the best way to tell. like i say venting them is the only 100%( best way to know exactly what sex they are).

Do you have any more pics of the fish? Like as of now? Get a couple more if you can mate :)

Ahh no worries. Im guessing these are on the anal fin? Egg spots? This sometimes can indicate that they are males but females can have egg spots to, so that's not the best way to tell. like i say venting them is the only 100%( best way to know exactly what sex they are).

Do you have any more pics of the fish? Like as of now? Get a couple more if you can mate :)

What is venting them ? (rookie) lol

I will get some photos tomorrow, just got an email from Neil he suggested zebra gold kwanga instead of flavus, what are they like to keep ?

No worries mate. It would take me ages to explain with pics and everything etc.. so best just to look at this..
http://www.fishhead.com/articles/ventsex.htm
I WANT them! lol These are really really nice. flavus are nice but i think these are much nicer.

Thanks for the link, looks like I'm ordering 10 saulosi and 5 zebra gold. That won't be to much at once will it ? They will all be small just 1"

I have got 4 more Saulosi coming tomorrow from Midlands Malawis and I will be geting 11 more in about a month, I decided not to get the zebra gold but.......I am planing my next project which will be a 6ftx2ftx2ft from ND aquatics but thats not going to be for a few months (excited) :fish:

Here's a video of my tank I took today (sorry about the poor recording, it was done on my iphone)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZb9gMfPZRs&feature=plcp

Congrats mate and congrats on the new tank/project. You may have it same sort of time i get mine. Would you not want a tank with a little more width? I have a 6Lx3Hx2W and that's great but im getting the 4x4x2 because of the 2ft width, just want the extra floor space. Then again my rocks are stupidly big lol

Tank is looking awesome, great first tank (one of the best ive seen) that background sets it off nicely.

Congrats mate and congrats on the new tank/project. You may have it same sort of time i get mine. Would you not want a tank with a little more width? I have a 6Lx3Hx2W and that's great but im getting the 4x4x2 because of the 2ft width, just want the extra floor space. Then again my rocks are stupidly big lol

Tank is looking awesome, great first tank (one of the best ive seen) that background sets it off nicely.

The widest I could find on ND was 24" I could get more hight but that would cost and extra 300£ because of the opti white front.

Where do you get your rocks ? Also what filter's would you run on a 600L tank ? I was thinking of geting 2x All pond solutions 2000 filter. I would LOVE an LED setup with a TMC AquaRay MultiController but will probably just get a T5 starter ballest.

Iv got 14 Saulosi now and 8 more coming next week, so I will be keeping the stocking at 22 until I know exactly how many males I have and if I need to sell some.

I noticed something that looking like breeding behaviour earlier with the dominant male, will keep a close eye on it. Might have to setup a fry tank lol

Ah no worries mate, just wondered if you wanted the extra depth :)
Large limestone mate, i think its really natural looking rock. You could sump it? or large Fx5's, ehiem? etc.. Soo many filters to choose from Justin? T5's can look just as nice, if you get the right combination. I know what you mean though, LED's would look awesome.

Ah no worries mate, just wondered if you wanted the extra depth :)
Large limestone mate, i think its really natural looking rock. You could sump it? or large Fx5's, ehiem? etc.. Soo many filters to choose from Justin? T5's can look just as nice, if you get the right combination. I know what you mean though, LED's would look awesome.

I was thinking about sumps but I know nothing about setup them up, I have lots of time tho so anythings an option at the moment.

Where do you get your limestone rocks mate ?

I'm not 100% sure myself, they are 'apparently' no harder than externals etc... Much more efficient too i think. There is a local bridge that for some reason just has thousands of limestone rocks. You could maybe get yours from a quarry or something? May cost a lot though :( I just cant wait for the new tank, its hopefully going to make my current 2 look poor lol

I'm not 100% sure myself, they are 'apparently' no harder than externals etc... Much more efficient too i think. There is a local bridge that for some reason just has thousands of limestone rocks. You could maybe get yours from a quarry or something? May cost a lot though :( I just cant wait for the new tank, its hopefully going to make my current 2 look poor lol

Lucky you! I got nothing like that by me, I'm going to have to hit the garden centres and hope they got somthing.

I'm ordering mine next few days, where you getting yours?

These rocks maybe easier to find mate and this is by far the best looking tank ive seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDV2TT55TNo

I know! its kind of random though, why they are just like there! lol

3 weeks time i hope :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back