200L blackwater south american bioptope type tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Myrkk

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, So! My new tank has settled down somewhat since it's hastily purchased conception after my last tank gave up the ghost. My hubbie rather nicely bought me the bits of wood I wanted for it as a Yule pressie and I put the old anubia's into it so there was at least some biofilm in the new setup for the fish and somewhere for my baby bristlenoses to hide.
I call it a biotope type tank as it contains a couple of fish that aren't native to south america ( a female guppie that was left over from a previous tank, and a chinese algae eater - both of which require rehoming but I don't know how to ensure they'll go to a good home so they're still with me).
The anubia's are prolific in flowering and growth. I know they aren't native to south america but I love the root structures on them so ideally would like a suitable plant that does similar. Any suggestions?
I don't use CO2 and have an LED light which seems to encourage the anubia's to grow even faster than they were previously.
I'm open to suggestions of other plants types too.
Thanks.

Hi Everyone, So! My new tank has settled down somewhat since it's hastily purchased conception after my last tank gave up the ghost. My hubbie rather nicely bought me the bits of wood I wanted for it as a Yule pressie and I put the old anubia's into it so there was at least some biofilm in the new setup for the fish and somewhere for my baby bristlenoses to hide.
I call it a biotope type tank as it contains a couple of fish that aren't native to south america ( a female guppie that was left over from a previous tank, and a chinese algae eater - both of which require rehoming but I don't know how to ensure they'll go to a good home so they're still with me).
The anubia's are prolific in flowering and growth. I know they aren't native to south america but I love the root structures on them so ideally would like a suitable plant that does similar. Any suggestions?
I don't use CO2 and have an LED light which seems to encourage the anubia's to grow even faster than they were previously.
I'm open to suggestions of other plants types too.
Thanks.
Sounds pretty cool! I love the look of amazon swords and java ferns... Anubias is also a really good plant which I think you already said you have... Could we see a picture of the tank?

Not the best image ever, I've just done a water change on it in this image so it is less dark than usual. Everything in it apart from the 2 big pieces of wood are from the old tank. I'm thinking of planting around the edges and all along the back of the wood but how that works out depends upon the plants I end up with.
I want to get another group of diamond headed tetras so there is a schooling fish in there, there are 16 currently and those will be the main fish in the tank. Everything else, rasboras, corys etc came from the old tank and either need rehoming, guppy, algae eater or are old.

Attachments

• fishtank.jpg
    fishtank.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 63
Not the best image ever, I've just done a water change on it in this image so it is less dark than usual. Everything in it apart from the 2 big pieces of wood are from the old tank. I'm thinking of planting around the edges and all along the back of the wood but how that works out depends upon the plants I end up with.
I want to get another group of diamond headed tetras so there is a schooling fish in there, there are 16 currently and those will be the main fish in the tank. Everything else, rasboras, corys etc came from the old tank and either need rehoming, guppy, algae eater or are old.
That looks really nice! I love it! Thanks for sharing...

It's a mess at the moment. Driving me nuts. My old tank was exactly as I wanted it and my OCD tendancies are coming to the fore with this one not being finished with everything just chucked in.

It's a mess at the moment. Driving me nuts. My old tank was exactly as I wanted it and my OCD tendancies are coming to the fore with this one not being finished with everything just chucked in.
Messy is natural

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back