200 Liters Aquarium For Fresh Fish Needs Advice

raffiv

Reaction score
Hi I am also new to the world of fish. I have a 100*40*50cm(200 liters) aquarium. I need to buy a filter and an air pump but do not know what power pump(wats) or what L\H filter I need. can any one assist in this matter. At the moment I only have 1 goldfish but when I buy the equipment I want to buy more fresh water fish.
cool1.gif

For calculation purposes, you should probably assume that you have around 180 litres after some decor and stuff.

I recommend that you go for an external filter, preferably a good quality one such as an Eheim, which is rated for at least a 300 litre tank. Goldfish are messy fish and if you wish to get more, you will need the extra filter capacity.

And before you do anything else, go research the nitrogen cycle in detail. I imagine that you don't want your fish to be swimming in its own crap and dying from it.

Thanks for the tip. I looked up a 200 liters external pump which works up to be 52.8344 gallons. I found some at ebay. Now what kind of air pump would I need?

You don't need an air pump, and it would make a lot of sense to go for a filter which is rated for a bigger tank, for example for a 300 litre tank because it will have a higher media capacity and higher turnover, which is important with messy fish such as goldfish.

Oxygen gets into the water when the surface of the water is agitated. If you point the filter outlet across the surface of the water, that will cause enough agitation for the gaseous exchange.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back