20-gallon Low Tech Reef

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

eschaton

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I finally entered the salty side of the hobby this weekend. There were a few bumps along the way, but I seem to be on the way to a good tank.

Saturday, I cleaned up my old 20-gallon tank that was unused, set up lights, heaters, and powerhead, and went to my favorite LFS. They only sell freshwater stock, but have some saltwater supplies. I picked up salt, a refractometer, and saltwater bulbs for one of my old freshwater fixtures (they only had one set of the 24 inch T-5s). Talked with the manager, who does nano-reefing on the side, and he convinced me to get a small bubble filter used (for only $7), along with convincing me to skip using a skimmer (he said in his own experience things like Tunicates, Sponges, and other interesting fauna are actually more likely to grow without a skimmer. Perhaps most importantly, he told me the best place in the area to pick up live rock that has already been cycled in tanks. He told me that the only thing to watch out for was Aiptasia Anemones.

Went back to my place and set up the tank basics. Set the temperature for 81 degrees. Added salt until the specific gravity was 1.0255. Put a bit of crushed coral in the bottom to fix the PH at 8.4. I didn't have any argonite sand however, so that had to wait till today.

Today, I went to the LFS he recommended. They indeed had a pretty good saltwater selection, along with a large number of interesting bits of live rock for around $8 per pound. Most of the tanks, however, did have at least one Aiptasia in them. I did my best to avoid those, but discovered after purchasing that one of the tanks I picked rock out of had red flatworms in it. Ahh!!! Hopefully they'll not be a major breakout, though from what I understand they're more a nuisance than an actual problem in a tank. Also bought argonite sand and purchased a small bit of rubble/live sand. This store also didn't have the 24-inch T-5's I was looking for.

Got back home, and finished the initial setup. The bag of sand said it needed thorough rinsing, and indeed horrible, black silt came off of the sand. I got as much of it out as possible, but the water still ended up all but opaque for quite awhile. With no other option, I just sort of placed the live-rock randomly so it could be underwater while I waited for the tank to clear up enough to do real aquascaping.

I went to another store in an attempt to find the T-5's, and also because I had heard they were the only local source of live sand. They also didn't have the bulbs I needed, but I did pick up the sand - which looks rather unimpressive, but only cost $2.50 per pound. For the same price, I picked up another 2.5 pounds of rubble too - mostly boring lumps, but one really nice long staghorn-like fragment, and one good flat bit for bracing.

On a whim, I stopped by Petco on the way back. They also didn't have my lights (are Coralife bulbs that rare?), though I did buy a mag-float.

When I got back home, I found the temperature in my tank had unexpectedly climbed to 86 degrees. I was rather confused as to why this could be, considering I had had the lights and the heater on the previous day no problem (eventually I realized the powerhead got clogged due to the silt and was overheating and bleeding into the tank). Anyway, I sort of panicked and did a partial water change with cold bottled water mixed with salt. Because I was hurried, I didn't get the salinity perfect, and as a result my specific gravity dropped to 1.024, which I'm not happy about. However, I'm just going to let it evaporate to a lower level for now, and deal with boosting the salinity for the total volume again next week. The tank has now dropped to 83 degrees and seems to be doing fine.

The live rock is very high quality stuff. I've seen plenty of life, including a few small brittle stars, polychete worms (the largest was four inches), and various little pods. About half of it's already covered with coraline algae. I did find and kill two Aiptasia on one bit of rock, so I'm hoping a major outbreak won't happen. Supposedly all the rock and sand is already cycled, so I should be seeing the algae bloom within the next few weeks.

My digital camera is a battery hog, and right now I'm all out of batteries. I'll attach some pictures tomorrow and see what you folks think of my aquascaping.

O sounds cool. I didn't know coralife makes T-5 fixtures. In a hope in finding them call up your stores and ask if they will special order them for you, mine does that.

Can't wait to see your pics.

Just wanted to add a few observations. A running tally of all life I've seen since I turned out the light and been periodically going up to the tank with a flashlight.

1. Coraline algae - mainly the purplish-red sort.
2. Macro-algae. Seems to be mostly red macro, though I see a few random stringy bits of other things.
3. Some sort of whitish growth on one of the live rocks: I'm guessing this is a film of calcerous sponges, though I guess it's possible they are bryzoans or tunicates.
4. More fireworms than you could possibly imagine
5. At least two tiny feather dusters.
6. Some small, bristly things which are not leaving their tubes, but appear to be multiple arms for some black-and-blueish striped brittle-star. I think there are at least three of them in there.
7. A tiny white snail with a slightly spiraled shell
8. A large snail with a very small, cap-like purple shell. I'm almost positive he's a Stomatella. If so, my clean-up crew is that much more together.
9. Small crustaceans. Mainly amphiopods, but some copopods too.
10. The two anemones I killed.

I don't think that's a bad running total for less than 5 hours of tank-watching.

You do write quite the novel. Sounds good! $8 per pound is a bit high, try finding a local reefers club around your area thats selling some L.R and other supplies =)

8$ a pound is high, by me you can buy 10.50$ a pound but you can also get some at 6.50.

Well, after taking literally dozens of pictures, my crappy photography skills and crappy camera culled down to four the things worth sharing as of yet.

1.A tank shot showing my aquascaping.

2. A close up of one of my best bits of live rock, which I call "the battleship." The dark green appeared today, and seems to be a slime creating small bubbles. I'm guessing it's cyanobacteria.

3. A close up of one of my live rock bits. Here you can see a very long bristleworm, along with 3 small sponges (the smallest grew in last night). In between the biggest and the medium-sized sponge is the remains of the Apitasia.

4. Another bit of live rock. This is the best picture I could get of the brittle-stars. They never leave their holes, just trail their arms through the current. There are so many in the tank!

Attachments

• Reef_1.JPG
    Reef_1.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 60
  • reef_2.JPG
    reef_2.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Reef_3.JPG
    Reef_3.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Reef_4.JPG
    Reef_4.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 62
Wow that's really pretty. I really like your aquascape. You going to get any of the corals and mushrooms and the sort?

Wow now I know what a bristle worm looks like.

LOL I see what you mean by battleship.

Wow that's really pretty. I really like your aquascape. You going to get any of the corals and mushrooms and the sort?

Wow now I know what a bristle worm looks like.

LOL I see what you mean by battleship.

Thanks for the compliment on my scaping. It was difficult because the three biggest bits of live rock are pretty huge in comparison to the tank, leaving minimal options for rotation. I'm a bit worried I'll have to reorient my leftmost rock, as the front side has a cavern which houses the cool sponges but gets next to no light, but I want to wait and see if the Aiptasia is dead before rotating it.

The battleship isn't the only one with a name. I also have called the second from the left "the city" It's an almost rectangular block of live rock, but highly porous and covered with coraline. The holes in the almost vertical, flat rock-face make it look very similar to an apartment building. The other three bits of non-rubble aren't calling out to me with any particular names as of yet. As an aside, if my bit of Tonga Branch is any indication, they're a damn waste of money.

As to my eventual stocking, I'm unsure, but I'll likely be limited by light. The tank currently has four 14 watt bulbs on it - one 10,000K, one actinic, and two "color-max" I also have 2 6,700K bulbs, but they make the tank look purplish-red. Hopefully I'll find the other T-5s soon. With only 56 watts on an 20 gallon, I'll probably only be able to do mushrooms, Xenia, and a few other lower-light corals, though it is right by a window which gets afternoon light, so I'll probably try a Zoanthid polyp or two if I can find them cheap and see what happens.

After lights out the brittle stars have begun to come out and play. I apparently have two species: A small black and gray one, and an even smaller white one. Anyone who can ID these guys would be a big help. I have so many I'm worried about a die-off from lack of food.

Attachments

• IMGP1305.JPG
    IMGP1305.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMGP1312.JPG
    IMGP1312.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 53
Last picture of the night unless something amazing comes around. My likely Stomatella. I had heard they were drab. Didn't know they came in pink.

Attachments

• IMGP1314.JPG
    IMGP1314.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 80
Not sure how many people are checking this out, but this morning I noticed a few new things in the tank...mostly badish, but no disasters.

1. My Apitasia is starting to come back. :( It looks as though it's dividing into three smaller polyps all in a row. I don't want to risk trying to mangle it again, so I'll likely just wait on a peppermint shrimp. Or maybe I'll just try using a siphon on it.

2. Noticed the first red planarian in my tank today as well. Siphoned the bugger out.

3. My coraline is bleaching out. From what I understand, this is fairly normal with a cycling tank and/or when lighting levels change. I have a feeling the light in my current tank is too strong for the coraline, as the death is almost all on the top surfaces of the rocks - the shaded coraline is doing just fine in comparison.

4. Noticed, probably a bit too late, some coral hitchhiker (SPS?). There are at least two small orange polyps on the long bit of rubble that was on the "battleship." Can't get a good ID as there is so little left alive, but at some point (before going into my tank?) there were two small polyp groups of about a dozen polyps each on it. By bad luck of the draw, the polyps ended up on the side of the rock facing away from the light. I flipped the rubble bit around and towards the sunlit window. Keeping my fingers crossed. I'll take a pic when I get home.

Most reactions

Back