20-gallon Low Tech Reef

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Well, I suppose it's time to update this again. I'll put up some pics later on tonight. A quick update as to what's been going on.

Major development was going to another LFS (actually a franchise of a chain) which also had a knowledgeable (and nice) manager. This store appeals to me because it's close and it has a cheapo frag bin with corals that only cost $17.99. I initally went in there to see what sort of tank-bred fish they had, but the frags were alluring.

I initally just wanted a mushroom or two to see if my tank was Coral ready, but the dude threw in a single polyp of Candycane, along with something called "brown button polyps, which is apparently some sort of stalked Zoanthind he swore would do well in my tank. I also picked up one additional fish, a blackline fangblenny. Fangblenny is a really nice little fish. He's taken to resting all night on the magfloat, which is cute but a bit unsettling as it means the top of his fin is just below the water line - makes me worry from there he'll be more apt to jump.

New corals are doing well. Button Polyps have opened up, and are both feeding on cyclopeeze and apparently photosynthisizing. I already see a few new polyps forming too. I'm hopeful the frag (which partially fell apart in the bag) will attach to the rock fairly shortly. Mushrooms have expanded well, and one of them seems to have split into two babies already - though it's possible that I there was a tiny one in the bag I missed when I poured out the water which somehow "found" the other small mushroom and attached itself. The candycane isn't doing so well - haven't seen it extend tentacles at all yet, and it hasn't eaten anything I've target fed), though the vermatid snails which hitchiked in on the frag are having a mucus trail party. :lol:

Peppermint shrimp never ate the Aiptasia. The same store I got the frags had a syringe I was looking for, so I injected kalkwasser into them and was done with it. Some minor damage to an adjoining sponge, but it has since regenerated.

Finally recieved my other saltwater bulbs in the mail. I now have two 10,000K 14 Watt, and 2 actinic 14 Watt bulbs, each in a seperate fixture. I'll be putting them on different timers today. Also got in the mail test kits for KH and Calcium, both of which tested A-OK yesterday. Also tested ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphate yesterday, alll of which were at zero. I'll check my PH and SG (been topping off, but worried the salt spray which collects on my lamps might be cutting down on salinity) today.

Tank is physically looking much better. Algae is way, way down. There was some nasty bits on the "dick rock" that no one touched for weeks which are almost gone. Only remaining hair algae is stuck onto the heater and the cord of one of the powerheads. CUC (down one nerite who crawled onto a powerhead) seems to be doing their job just fine, though I am a bit let down with the hermits, as I'm fairly sure they've been killing dwarf featherdusters and spaghetti worms. If I get the chance I'll return two of the hermits.

Got stung by a bristleworm when moving a rock, and I didn't even feel it. -_-

So everything's going smoothly. Any suggestions on the next step?

Nice, take some pics please. Sounds like you have a nice LFS, let us know how it all goes.

I've read that there are a few species of pepermint shrimp that eat aiptasia and only one eats it, maybe you didn't have that one.

Went to take pics last night, and couldn't find my camera. Finally found it in the morning hidden behind my big freshwater tank.

Pics tonight!

...and it took me a week for various reasons.

First up, I couldn't find the camera. Then, I had a really busy weekend.

It should be noted I have the worst digital camera known to man. I literally went through an ten-pack of AA Energizer Max to get these photos - and they still blow. My camera will run down batteries in less than five minutes. What's worse, even when it's attached to the computer overnight, it needs batteries and will somehow slowly drain them, making it all but useless.

So yeah, I barely get any time to try and take good shots. I need to take as many photos as quickly as possible - and this is the best I can get. I need a new camera stat.

So yeah, let's get to the photos.

1. Here's the latest tank shot

2. Here's the Neon Goby in his favorite hiding spot. It's a little cave-like overhang he shares with some sponges and not much else.

3. A shot of the three mushrooms. The big one and one of the smaller ones is red with some neon blue around the rim. The other one (hard to see in the shot) ended up partially underneath the smaller red and blue shroom, and has larger "bumps" They all seem to be doing well. Sorry for the crappy color correction.

4. One of my two new Yellow Clown Gobies. They aren't eating as much as the Blackline Fangblenny or the Neon Goby, though they are eating. Hope it goes okay. They're tank bred, and he came with some nipped looking fins but otherwise in good condition.

5. The Candycane. This Polyp is a pain - I don't know if it's eating or not. It showed no interest in the cyclopeeze. After talking with the LFS, he said I had to hand-feed Krill, which I've been attempting, but it's unclear to me if it's actually eating the krill or if it just drifts away after I put it in its mouth (either doesn't eat or eats slowly). It was looking quite emaciated for awhile though, and has begun to plump up again.

6. The Sand Polyps. These dudes seem to be doing well. Like to eat cyclopeeze as well as photosynthesize. Under the Actinic their surfaces glow a wonderful green, though they close up pretty quickly after lights out. The two sexy shrimp seem to have taken this polyp group on as a home - especially the smaller one, though the bigger ranges somewhat further.

7. And finally, Mr. Fangblenny

Attachments

• IMGP1361.JPG
    IMGP1361.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMGP1362.JPG
    IMGP1362.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMGP1363.JPG
    IMGP1363.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMGP1363b.JPG
    IMGP1363b.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMGP1367.JPG
    IMGP1367.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMGP1368.JPG
    IMGP1368.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMGP1375.JPG
    IMGP1375.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 47
Hopefully this one will be listed as a separate post. If not I'll manually split it a bit later. I have a minor spot of trouble in my tank now. I dare say I overdid it - hopefully there won't be a major crash.

I noticed when I got home one of the eyes of my Fangblenny was ever so slightly larger than the other one. He ate quite well tonight, though he was periodically moving weirdly - once he somehow careened right into the Sand Polyp group while eating, and his tail seems to be flicking to one side quite often. In addition, while most of the sand polyps were out and about, the central one was retracted. Everything else seems pretty much alright.

Tested everything, and found that while, like last week, Nitrite, Nitrate, and PH were A-OK, Ammonia seems to be somewhere in-between 0.25 and 0.5. :( Immediately did a 10% water change (would do more but I have a limited amount of distilled water and no RO unit yet - I'll buy more water tomorrow).

As I see it, there's two options for why the tank got out of whack.

1. Substantial stock was added Wednesday, when I put in two Yellow Clown Gobies (hoping they form a mated pair) - raising the fish stock to four. In addition, I added two new snails to the CUC (a Black Turbo and an Astraea), though my hermits killed my Cerith a short while ago, so I'm unsure if they would matter much.

2. I think I overfed the tank this week. Initially, the tank was being fed twice a day, and my fish (and polyps) seemed quite happy. But I read Nanos should be fed sparingly, so I cut back to one feeding a day - only to notice the formerly chubby belly of my Neon Goby became flat. It's hard for me to tell how much cyclopeeze is enough, as it's distributed so far around the tank in such small particles it doesn't seem like the "5 minute rule" always applies - and the fish always seem hungry for seconds. But I'm pretty clear on the fact I went too far the other way.

Anyway, I'm hoping for the second scenario, as another water change coupled with a day or two of no feeding should fix things. Except for my Fangblenny - I'm worried about his eye. I don't have a saltwater QT tank, so I'm more than a bit worried that he'll need a dedicated medication now.

Well first on the first post. Looks very nice, though I'm sure my camera's quality is worse than yours :lol: besides the battery fact.

The pics are nice, looks pretty good.

You say your hermit killed your snail, depending on how long the snail was sitting in there it could have caused an ammonia spike along with the leftover food on the ground. I feed my FW tank only once a day and the fish always look hungery after but I'm confident I'm not overfeeding since they have been healthy for almost two years now and the babies that I have are always growing.

Well, the tank ammonia "spike" is over. Decreased naturally overnight, and after I added another gallon of (salt) water this afternoon, the level became undetectable.

I'm now thinking the weirdness of the sand polyps is actually due to crowding, not bad water conditions, as the ones on the margin of the mini-colony were fine, with the central one contracted. Furthering this theory, I just looked at the tank and now the central one is fully extended, but an adjoining polyp is somehow turned inside out. Well, that's not quite the right way to put it, as no guts are coming out, but it's tentacles are halfway down its stalk, with a huge bulge above. Didn't eat the sexy shrimps either! :lol:

I've noticed a new type of sponge growing in my tank lately. It's around the size of a BB, with a "feathery" looking intake valve. Quite pretty.

Also, I have quite a few digitate hydroids. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Congratulations on the decrease of ammonia spike!

Sorry can't help with your other questions

Most reactions

Back