20 Gallon Figure Eight Puff Tank And Any Tankmates?

Shovelman

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Thinking about making my 20 gallon tank a lowend brackish tank for a figure eight puffer, as they seem to be quite interesting puffers and i also want some experience with salinity in the aquarium before going to full out saltwater eventually.

So probably going to have hardy, salt tolerant plants...ex: vals, java fern, java moss.

stocking
1 figure eight puffer.

but was wondering if there were any types of gobies that would not be seen by the puffer as food. Or is simply one puffer all that should be done becuase of their hit or miss temperament in terms of aggression.

If a some kind of gobies are ok with them or youve had experience with mixing the two or even just keeping a figure eight let me know!

I've not kept them together for a very long time, but bumble-bee gobies and F8's seem to be talked about a lot together.

As you've said and no doubt read, puffers can be unpredictable, and not consistent over time, so it's a bit of a gamble. A gamble i'm probably going to take myself though.

I've not kept them together for a very long time, but bumble-bee gobies and F8's seem to be talked about a lot together.

As you've said and no doubt read, puffers can be unpredictable, and not consistent over time, so it's a bit of a gamble. A gamble i'm probably going to take myself though.
id think if the gamble turns out successful it would be high rewarding...

Bumblebee Gobies are generally seen as compatible with Figure 8 Puffers, and having kept them together for three years I would generally agree. However, make sure both are well fed. These gobies are so tiny it's easy for them to starve. In addition', I've lost some of my gobies to the puffers on several occasions where I've been out of town for a few days.

Some other stocking options:
Mollies: non-sailfin would be preferred, although I've kept sailfin without issue. If they reproduce the babies will probably become puffer chow
Orange Chromides: They're quick and about the same size as the puffers
Green Chromides: I've never kept these and they get bigger than the orange, but from what I understand they should be fine
Other Gobies: I've kept some sort of goby I've never been able to identify with my 4 figure 8s for years with no issues, not so much as a nipped fin

NMonks has a great puffer page here.

And this is all with the caveat that puffers are powerful, intelligent fish and generally seen as aggressive. Personalities vary among individual specimen and I don't think there's a truly 100% "safe" tank-mate for these guys.

Bumblebee Gobies are generally seen as compatible with Figure 8 Puffers, and having kept them together for three years I would generally agree. However, make sure both are well fed. These gobies are so tiny it's easy for them to starve. In addition', I've lost some of my gobies to the puffers on several occasions where I've been out of town for a few days.

Mollies: non-sailfin would be preferred, although I've kept sailfin without issue. If they reproduce the babies will probably become puffer chow
Green Chromides: I've never kept these and they get bigger than the orange, but from what I understand they should be fine
Other Gobies: I've kept some sort of goby I've never been able to identify with my 4 figure 8s for years with no issues, not so much as a nipped fin

And this is all with the caveat that puffers are powerful, intelligent fish and generally seen as aggressive. Personalities vary among individual specimen and I don't think there's a truly 100% "safe" tank-mate for these guys.

Thanks! Yes im familiar with Neale's wisdom so to speak lol ive asked him a ton of questions....and ive researched so much....

just a question...are figure eights as much of a joy to keep as ive heard?

All puffers are awesome :)
awesome! hopefully my parents will allow me to make use of my 20g.....any ideas of how to convince them? :hey: im sure a few hundred bucks would work but id rather use that $$$ for the actual tank lol

myenigmaself answered your question perfectly, but I thought another success story of tank mates with Puffers would boost the moral of trying it out.

Granted I have two GSP's, but from what I understand temperament even in the uncertainty of aggressive vs passive, is still generally the same in these two species. One of my GSP's, my Big Girl as I call her she is semi aggressive, but to only one of her tank mates. and my other one is very passive. I also have two Dalmatian Mollies (Breeding like Rabbits!) I also have a beautiful! blue and green Dragon Fish in there as well. I have lost no fish, Puffers don't keep it "G" with those teeth! The only problem I ever had was my Big Girl for some reason months after I got the Dragon Fish, decided to fin pick him, and only him. When ever she could sneak up on him, she would pick a quick fin. I quickly fixed the problem buy getting a nice rock decor with lots of caves and hiding spots, and since I use sand he has made a tunnel under it as well, and it seems to be his favorite place to chill. Since the Dragon Fish has more places to hide, his fins have grown back completely. She still tries to get him on the occasions he comes out to the center, more open part of the tank. I haven't seen her get him since he makes a quick get-a-way to his tunnel now, and I can see no signs of picking. So the tank mates that I have seem to be not too much of a problem. Like myenigmaself said the Mollie fry might become puffer food...yeah lol. Only the strong survive......

Im using a bigger setup as you can see by my tank mates I have, but still another success of tank mates with Puffers. I think its at least worth a try to see if you can get a nice community of some Gobies, and Puffers out of it too!

Hope it Helped buddy, and good luck! You wont regret Puffers!

myenigmaself answered your question perfectly, but I thought another success story of tank mates with Puffers would boost the moral of trying it out.

Granted I have two GSP's, but from what I understand temperament even in the uncertainty of aggressive vs passive, is still generally the same in these two species. One of my GSP's, my Big Girl as I call her she is semi aggressive, but to only one of her tank mates. and my other one is very passive. I also have two Dalmatian Mollies (Breeding like Rabbits!) I also have a beautiful! blue and green Dragon Fish in there as well. I have lost no fish, Puffers don't keep it "G" with those teeth! The only problem I ever had was my Big Girl for some reason months after I got the Dragon Fish, decided to fin pick him, and only him. When ever she could sneak up on him, she would pick a quick fin. I quickly fixed the problem buy getting a nice rock decor with lots of caves and hiding spots, and since I use sand he has made a tunnel under it as well, and it seems to be his favorite place to chill. Since the Dragon Fish has more places to hide, his fins have grown back completely. She still tries to get him on the occasions he comes out to the center, more open part of the tank. I haven't seen her get him since he makes a quick get-a-way to his tunnel now, and I can see no signs of picking. So the tank mates that I have seem to be not too much of a problem. Like myenigmaself said the Mollie fry might become puffer food...yeah lol. Only the strong survive......

Im using a bigger setup as you can see by my tank mates I have, but still another success of tank mates with Puffers. I think its at least worth a try to see if you can get a nice community of some Gobies, and Puffers out of it too!

Hope it Helped buddy, and good luck! You wont regret Puffers!
Thanks! I really appreciate your information/ experience! Ill have to see with my lfs as to what lowend brackish gobies he can get in...

Puffers are totally great. They're super smart, have very interesting personalities, and the way they move is mesmerizing. I wasn't trying to dissuade you from getting puffers, as I think they're totally worth it. Just trying to let you know that stocking them in a community tank comes with certain risks. You may make out like Shovelman and find a great balance. Or you may end up with some roughed up tank mates and even a few casualties. It depends on so much: the individual fish, space, decor, the tank mates, feeding, water quality, etc. Ultimately I think you'll find keeping these guys to be very rewarding. They're like little fishy-dogs. Mine will take food right out of my hand, and some of the larger varieties even enjoy being petted.

Best of luck to you!

Puffers are totally great. They're super smart, have very interesting personalities, and the way they move is mesmerizing. I wasn't trying to dissuade you from getting puffers, as I think they're totally worth it. Just trying to let you know that stocking them in a community tank comes with certain risks. You may make out like Shovelman and find a great balance. Or you may end up with some roughed up tank mates and even a few casualties. It depends on so much: the individual fish, space, decor, the tank mates, feeding, water quality, etc. Ultimately I think you'll find keeping these guys to be very rewarding. They're like little fishy-dogs. Mine will take food right out of my hand, and some of the larger varieties even enjoy being petted.

Best of luck to you!
Oh yes! I agree very much, as im not totally new to puffers at all...i had 2 DPs in my 10 gallon tank a while ago and the died half a year ago so was just seeing about getting back with a puffer of some kind...my second choice would be selling the 20g for a 30 gallon long tank for an avocado puff

Thanks! Yes im familiar with Neale's wisdom so to speak lol ive asked him a ton of questions....and ive researched so much....

just a question...are figure eights as much of a joy to keep as ive heard?

F8 Puffers are great I have 2 in a 100litre tank my only wish is that I had room for the tank in my front room as they are so much fun to watch :) in the future I would like to get a couple of Bumble Bee Gobies but am worried that they will get attacked.

The 2 F8's I have have totally different personalities, one is very docile and I dont think he would hurt any other fish, but the other F8 is quite aggressive and I dont think I would trust it with other types of fish in the tank. At feeding time he chases the other puffer around and head buts him to try and get all the food, no biting just butting and only at food time so it is manageable, they get along fine the rest of the time, but it just goes to show some puffers will be nasty and some will be nice (just like people)

One thing I have found that the absolutely love is surfing on the current infront of a powerhead, before I put one in they would sometimes pace the glass, but now it is if they arnt exploring their surroundings they are happy to surf the day away :D I have not seen them pace the glass since.

P1010095.jpg

P1010039.jpg

Hmmmm a power head??? maybe i should look into that for my GSP's. One of my GSP's loves to run across the bubbles from a bubble wand that i have in the back of the tank, and just like yours with the power head he will ride the bubble all day long lol.
I think a small power head will add a little something new for them since they do get bored easily.

Hmmmm a power head??? maybe i should look into that for my GSP's. One of my GSP's loves to run across the bubbles from a bubble wand that i have in the back of the tank, and just like yours with the power head he will ride the bubble all day long lol.
I think a small power head will add a little something new for them since they do get bored easily.

For sure, its a Hydor Koralia Nano 900 so nothing too powerfull. If they arnt surfing in front of it they lilke to swim above and drop down into the current to get pushed across the tank, its great to watch them having fun.

Most reactions

Back