FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

puppyfoxcat

Reaction score
I already have 4 kuhli loaches in my 20 gal long tank and I’m going to get at least two more. The tank is moderately planted but I’m going put together more plants this weekend. I would love to add some more fish to the tank, and here’s my idea for when it’s completely stocked:
-6 kuhli loaches
-8 cherry barbs
-8 green neon tetras
-3 honey gourami
-maybe snail(s), unsure what species
Any thoughts on this? Is it overstocked?

I already have 4 kuhli loaches in my 20 gal long tank and I’m going to get at least two more. The tank is moderately planted but I’m going put together more plants this weekend. I would love to add some more fish to the tank, and here’s my idea for when it’s completely stocked:
-6 kuhli loaches
-8 cherry barbs
-8 green neon tetras
-3 honey gourami
-maybe snail(s), unsure what species
Any thoughts on this? Is it overstocked?
Welcome to the forum:hi:. This tank is too overstock, dont add any more fish or snail in there.

Presuming your water params suit these fish, the stocking seems fine to me.
Floating plants will be appreciated if you dont have any already :)

Edit: Sorry i shouldnt presume you know you general hardness being a new member. Like as been said you should have soft water to suit the fish you have mentioned

Last edited:
Presuming your water params suit these fish, the stocking seems fine to me.
What Russjw means is, provided your water is soft, the stocking seems fine. All the fish in your list are soft water fish. You should be able to find out your water hardness by looking on your water provider's website. If they give hardness, you need a number and the unit of measurement rather that some vague words.
pH is important too, but hardness (GH) is more important and pH can be outside a fish's range as long as the GH is within it.

I think the stocking is fine, provided you have softer water

It seems overstocked to me. Green neons need more space, Gouramis can be aggressive in groups. Do you mean add 6 more Kuhlii loaches or have 6 in total?

Also, if you have Kuhlii loaches you need to have sand in your tank. ;)

It seems overstocked to me. Green neons need more space, Gouramis can be aggressive in groups. Do you mean add 6 more Kuhlii loaches or have 6 in total?
6 total. And thanks for the info—I thought honey gourami were supposed to be more peaceful than others, but maybe I was misinformed.

6 total. And thanks for the info—I thought honey gourami were supposed to be more peaceful than others, but maybe I was misinformed.
Honeys and pearls are the most peaceful gouramis with honeys almost never showing aggression, and they do better in groups so you are good to go. I’m not sure what @PheonixKingZ was talking about.

My bad, I thought you where talking about “normal” Gouramis. (Blue powder, flame, etc)

You are correct in saying that honey Gouramis are peaceful in groups. People usually keep them in groups of 4 or more and they are very happy.

My apologies for the misunderstanding. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back