20 G Long Journal

Well I made a trip to the LFS today, I picked up 7lbs of cured Fiji LR for only $10. I added them and took some pictures. I have brown algae starting to show up, and I ended up picking up a bunch of good(I think) hitchhikers, about 5 or 6 of them. Well here are the pictures:

fts3.JPG

sideview.JPG

snail.JPG

snails.JPG

Well, I noticed that all the algae on the new rocks is hair algae, last night when the lights were off I noticed that about 10 or 15 stoma snails were about and about. My levels went down a little bit since adding the rock, and I have a lot more cyano and brown algae now, hopefully I'll start blooming soon.

Heres some shots from today:

ftslightsoff.JPG

ftslightson.JPG

leftside.JPG

rightside.JPG

I'm glad that I finally have algae growing on the whiteish rock in the back.

The cyano stopped growing since I added the wand in the back, I checked all the levels this morning before returning the kit and the ammonia and nitrates were just about zero, so..... I went out and bought my mini cuc, 5 Nass Snails that are all burrowed, 3 Turbos, which I think are Astrea, 1 Scarlet Reef Hermit, and one Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit. Here are the pictures from the acclimation process and then about 7 hours later:

ftsaccl.JPG

ftsaccl2.JPG

ftsaccl3.JPG

2turbos.JPG

turboonrock.JPG

dblhc.JPG

srhc.JPG

Chillin under a rock

As soon as they all went in they went crazy on the algaes for most of the day, everyones takin it easy now.

I ordered the API kit from drsfosterandsmith and hopefully it will be here by mid week, I plan on doing daily water changes of about 10% to keep the levels down until they can check it, if anyone is looking for a new testing kit they have it on sale right now for $14.79 plus shipping. I ended up paying just under $25 shipped for it. The cheapest I've seen it in stores is $29.99 plus tax.

I'll post some more updates in a few days.

Got the new test kit in today. Here are my levels

pH 8.4
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia between 0 and .25

I did a 10% water change last night and that's where I am at now. I have my small CUC crew in there now doing what they do, the Scarlet Reef Hermit already molted yesterday morning so I should probably look into a new shell for him soon so I don't end up with any murders. Any where I can order shells in bulk for cheap or any suggestions? I am waiting on about another 10-15 lbs of LR from ReeFur that he picked up for me ( thanks again, appreciated). After that I'll add them and hopefully that will give me some much needed filtration. I'm hoping by the end of this month I will be able to add a fish or two. I also plan on getting a few more snails and a shrimp to help clear up the rest of the tank before had.

You should ask your lfs about shells, mine is almost always willing to donate old snail shells.

Tank's looking good, hopefully the cuc can clean it up a bit :p

New Pics;

lilcrab.JPG

Hangin out on some rock

nassy.JPG

Just came out from the sand

pinchy.JPG

Doin his thing after molting

fts2608.JPG

New FTS right before major top off

snailonfilter.JPG

Apparently this is his new favorite spot

snailswalage.JPG

Chowin down

That's it for tonight.

As Nemo said, Im sure your LFS could give or sell you all the shells you need. If not, I think I saw them on saltwaterfish.com for 100 shells/ $10. Tank looks great!

Well I just checked all my levels, everything is at 0 and ph is 8.3 Where should I go from here? I am waiting on some cured rock, hopefully it will be here tomorrow. Should I add more of a CUC? I have 5 Nass, 3 Astrae, 1 Scarlet Reef Hermit, and 1 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit. Any suggestions?

Thats true, I just dont to spend an arm and a leg for some snails and crabs.

Watching my snails and crabs go to work is half the fun of my tank! They are always up to something.

Most reactions

Back