2 Gallon Tank

Jazzzz

Fish Addict
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
833
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
turo, devon
I have a spare 2 gallon tank thats only 10cm wide and 30cm deep.

I was thinking of putting 3 male guppys and a snail in there. (zebra snail)

Would it work do you think as a desk aquarium.
 
I would say no, while the tank could easily support the guppies, its pretty unfair IMO. Guppies are active fish, and that tank hardly gives them much space at all.

I'd also say no to the zebra nerite snail (if that's the species you were talking about), because in that size of tank it would starve. Nerite snails only rarely eat things like algae wafers, IME they need actual algae to eat, and a 2gallon tank is not going to grow enough algae to support the snail. It would just slowly waste away over a few weeks to a month.

That tank would make a lovely little planted shrimp tank though, and you could get some smallish snails that take food other than just algae, like spixi apple snails for example.

If your into fish in small tanks you could get a betta (though I personally only like them in bigger tanks).

If yousourced out the fish you could have a few tiny fish like microrasboras. There's some good tiny fish here.
 
well its cycling now so we shall see what takes my fancy at the moment i might just have a piece of planted bogwood with a snail in there.
 
To be honest there not much you can keep in a 2 gallon full stop.
I wouldn't even keep a betta in that tank size.
 
Time you have put substrate in, plants, ornament, filter and heater won't be much room left in the tank.
 
Yep, male betta with small snails and shrimp. Make sure to put in lots of plants and a bit of oxygenation!!! No heater needed if your room is twenty degrees celcious. :good: Get a cheap filter though...
 
Its got a smaal sponge air filter running. I dont want shrimps. Also i prefer guppys would they really be unhappy as a pair.
 
Two males can get really aggressive with each other; in such a small tank there'd be nowhere for the loser to escape.
 
You could use it as a fry tank! like, instead of a floating trap or something.
 
I'd say the only fish that would fit in that would be either a betta or some of the micro fish. Male guppies should really be kept in larger groups to stop one fish being bullied and one becoming the boss. They also don't like to be alone.

When you're talking tank size you need to think of the amount of fish that the tank can support and also the size tank the fish need. Like, I could put a six inch cichlid in a five gallon tank. The tank's capacity to support fish would be adequate to keep it alive in terms of coping with its waste and respiration. But the fish would be desperately unhappy in such a tiny tank.

Bettas don't mind small tanks. I have kept them in smaller tanks than 2 gallons (1.5 is the smallest) out of necessity. I would prefer to use larger tanks but I don't have the option. I just try really hard to provide them with interesting, stimulating environments. I would rather live in a planted, decorated 3 gallon tank than a bare 6 gallon.
 
Guppys like to be keeped in large groups, you could get away with a Betta, with a few plants but that would be it.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top