What's new

2 Gallon Bowl Quarantine Tank

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

vio88

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Could I use a 2 gallon bowl as a quarantine tank? If so does it need a filter? Heater? Bubbler? What would I need to do to make it livable for that 2-4 weeks? Or do I just need something bigger?

get a 40 litre (10 gallon) plastic storage container and use that for a quarantine tank.

make sure whatever you use has a thin layer of substrate, some plants (real or fake), an established filter and heater if you are keeping tropical fish.

Nothing smaller than a 10 gallon will work? I don't want to get more tanks but I thought if it was smaller it might be ok.

Then you could maybe get a 5 gallon plastic storage container? (I’m sure they make them!:))

In my opinion advertising those as suitable for "your aquatic friend" should be a criminal offense. I'm with @Colin_T on this. 10G plastic containers cost a few pounds. Just add a heater and sponge filter. In the UK that would cost me 10 - 15 pounds in total.
I just leave my sponge filter in my main tank (in addition to its own filter) when my QT is not in use. Then when I need a QT I just move it across and have an instantly cycled tank (ok its really a tub).

Hmm.... well here in Canada a new heater is at least $40, bucket is probably $10-20, I found a sponge filter on amazon for $6 but it needs tubing and an air pump, and here an air pump is $20-50+, or if I just got a filter its at least $30. So I was hoping for a non cruel to fish short cut. Otherwise I will just use my 10 gallon tank for quarantine and take all the fry out.

Wow! Stuff in Canada is high in price

A new heater here (in the USA) cost about $10-$15

A new sponge filter and air pump cost around: $14

And a new bucket cost about: $5

:)

Jealous. It could be the same for the bucket here but not the rest

Well really this is my main problem in keeping fish at all its all so expensive.

Even here (where stuff is less expensive) it is still expensive. I mean I wish just once there was a “Full free store” where everything was free! :lol: Maybe when pigs fly..... :D

Hmmm - buckets don't need to be anything fancy. Mine came from the local hardware store and were sold as storage bins - the pound shops do them too. They are not see through. I had to cut the lid cos its sort of like a massive school lunchbox with a lid. Filters with air pumps are pretty cheap on amazon if you get the Chinese unbranded ones (as long as your tank is going somewhere where you won't be bothered by the noise).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back