2 Dead Green Chromis In 2 Days!

Bomber

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I baught 5 green chromis form my LFS 2 days ago and the fisrt night one died and they replaced it..but when i turned on my tank lights today i saw that another one had died! i called and told them and i was luckey ennouf that they are going to replace this one also! but does anyone know why the chromis are dieing? everything else in my tank seams very healthy! All that is in my tank now is 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 dimond gobey, and a gold striped maroon clown.

could my maroon do this?

also all my water checks came back fine!

any ideas??

Maroons can be bullies... Is it chasing/nipping the chromis at all?

if it is i haven't seen it al all! The maroon usually stayes in the bubble tip nem! he only leves it to eat..

People don't realize but chromis will kill each other if the tank is too small. They will do this until they are satisfied with the number left. So it will come down to the strong will survive and the weak die.

Reef central is a forum chock-full of arrogant blowhards. I would not recommend anyone, especially a newcomer to reefkeeping (not to say that the original poster is necessarily one) to use that website.

Though I have noticed them improving a little.

Back on topic, an aquarium is not a reef. Frankly, it should amaze people that fish survive capture, transport, and acclimation, and after that live for years in an artificial environment. If an aquarium fish survives, it is likely to have been in spite of our efferts, not because of them.

The point is, sometimes fish just die. Chromis will not, under normal curcumstances, kill members of their own shoal. They get enough natural selection from predators; if anything they will want to preserve their numbers in aquaria.

If anyone has ever seen a group of Dascyllus, et cetera in the wild, they will know that they certanly do not weed out members of their own shoal. The size differences between individuals can be staggering; I myself discovered several groupings in which there were fish as large as 3.5'' and all the way down to about 3/8''. Obviously, they do not attack each other.

-Lynden

Have you had any experience with them?? Or are you just stating that on believes??

I have had them in my tank and found out that they will attack the smaller of the members. This usually happens at night time.

And reefcentral is a very good site. Especially to saltwater newbies. Many of the guys there own shops and you even got sponsors that go there to help people with there equipment problems. They are not arrogant just very smart guys.

If anyone has ever seen a group of Dascyllus, et cetera in the wild, they will know that they certanly do not weed out members of their own shoal. The size differences between individuals can be staggering; I myself discovered several groupings in which there were fish as large as 3.5'' and all the way down to about 3/8''. Obviously, they do not attack each other.
Here's my experience.

They are not arrogant just very smart guys
I could certainly argue with that. The fact they they have "tang police" is proof enough of my statement. :lol:

-Lynden

So your experience is seeing them in the wild????
I'm giving people information based on what they asked not about how these animals were out in the wild. The ocean is totally different then a home aquarium system where space is never a issue.

Having a tang police is not a big deal. They just don't want to see a tang in a small aquarium. So do i and I hate people who think overwise too.

In the wild they were grouped in a small area. Obviously if they wanted each other dead, it would have happened already.

Having a tang police is not a big deal. They just don't want to see a tang in a small aquarium. So do i and I hate people who think overwise too.
The thing about their beliefs is that they have no scientific basis; a couple of gallons does not make a difference to a fish that has just been removed from the largest body of water in the world to a home aquarium. 50 gallons, 100 gallons, 500 gallons; each are a drop in a bucket compared to the oceans.

I personally wouldn't advocate placing any tang in a tank less than 75 gallons for it's whole life (excluding a few Ctenochaetus) simply because of their size, but that is no reason to go beserk on or "hate people that think otherwise". Pretty strong words you have said for someone who merely does not share your beliefs.

I hate the phrase "tang police"; the idea can burn for all I care. The reefkeeping hobby would be far better off without the advocators of it; I have seen many a real problem go unsolved because the "helpers" were too busy bitching about how the aquarist in need was keeping a tang in a tank that they ignorantly thought was too small. It's painful (not to mention infuriating) to watch and I cannot imagine how badly the aquarist in need of real help must feel. These "tang police" in some abstract way think they are helping the fish when in reality they are doing just the opposite. They all need either a major reality check or a kick in the ass. So far I'm for the latter.

-Lynden

my 2 cromis did die at night time, but both weere different nights..

i have 5 of them in my 77 gl, and they are all around the same size.. Last night was the 3rd night that i had the cromis and none died last night.. so maybe they will be fine now?

:thanks:

What do you mean Lynden???? I really don't get you.

My post up clearly states that they will kill off each at night no??? And he clearly stated that it happened at night.

Bomber- it should be alright now. 3 is a good number for your tank size. But sometimes they will kill each other until one is left but it's a rare case.

Bomber, your chromis almost certainly succumbed to the stress of being caught, shipped and acclimated; really it wasn't your fault. Your tank size is well suited to even a medium sized group of them; hell, lots of people keep a similarly sized grouping in a tank half your size with no problems. :good:

-Lynden

P.S.
Whyme, I can see the "essence" of reef central shining through you. It's corrupting you; leave those blowhards for good and stick to another forum (like this one). :good: Or alternatively, do your own research. I can guarantee you will be a better aquarist that way.

I'm sorry but your talking about Reefcentral people being arrogant. I find you very arrogant. The fact that you didn't even keep this fish(s) before and judging them by what you see in the wild is not sound evidence of how they will act in a home aquarium. I have kept them before and i did find out that this does really happen. So how can you give advice to people without having kept them before and argue with my info given based on experience??? I didn't say thats the exact cause but to just keep in mind.

Also i posted a link to the thread of over 3 pages long about people who have had experience with chromis before. A lot of them do say that has happened to them also. So are you saying that all of them are giving out false information????

Lynden- seriously you need to stop thinking that you know everything and do some experimenting not researching.

Most reactions

Back