2.5g betta, needing a cleanup crew

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Duckquarium

Reaction score
I have (pic related) set up right now with a betta and a couple snails.
The snails have been keeping the glass clean just fine but the substrate is a little messy, can i swap a snail for a shrimp or two or is that gonna strangle my betta?
Dont judge my diver head i thought it was kind of funny and the betta digs it.
Aqueon 2.5g, 24/7 hygger light, noname heater, usb submersible pump no filter.

Attachments

• D14A1C9D-B118-49D5-91EB-1CE087CBCD26.jpeg
    D14A1C9D-B118-49D5-91EB-1CE087CBCD26.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 69
I wouldnt add anything. The absolute minimum tank size for a betta is 5 gallons but 10 gallons is a better minimum... As for now just keep doing your weekly water changes and then maybe try to get him a larger tank... If you do a 10g you can do a small group of smaller sized shrimps

personally i think 2.5 gallons is a little crowded for a single betta, especially if there are snails. shrimp won't help a ton with the substrate, you should always rely on yourself rather than creatures in the tank to clean up.

I wouldn’t add anything. It looks like you have mystery snails? They grow much bigger and are much messier than nerite snails, something to keep in mind. You will likely find that your substrate would be much cleaner even if you just removed them! I would say “don’t change anything”. Your betta is lovely!

We are the cleanup crew. A reason I only use a 2.5 to start fry in is they are ten times harder to clean than a decent sized tank, beyond the fact they are kind of small for the fish.

I wouldn’t add anything. It looks like you have mystery snails? They grow much bigger and are much messier than nerite snails, something to keep in mind. You will likely find that your substrate would be much cleaner even if you just removed them! I would say “don’t change anything”. Your betta is lovely!
Man I didn’t know that, I think I’m gonna move the snails to a different tank and maybe add some plants when I change the water tonight.
They’re definitely a mystery to me they were “asst snail” from petco, I don’t know if they’re mystery snails but here’s a close up.
6ED1D16D-B759-4BFA-B565-BE72357932A9.jpeg

We are the cleanup crew. A reason I only use a 2.5 to start fry in is they are ten times harder to clean than a decent sized tank, beyond the fact they are kind of small for the fish.
The only part I have trouble with is the diver head but also just with moving the substrate around when I’m cleaning, but less area less time has so far been true for me

Man I didn’t know that, I think I’m gonna move the snails to a different tank and maybe add some plants when I change the water tonight.
They’re definitely a mystery to me they were “asst snail” from petco, I don’t know if they’re mystery snails but here’s a close up.View attachment 156845
Looks like a mystery snail to me. Its actually a type of snail, which is confusing... lol. They are likely the highest waste producers in your tank!

Looks like a mystery snail to me. Its actually a type of snail, which is confusing... lol. They are likely the highest waste producers in your tank!
Thanks for the tip lol
They look great but if removing them makes enough difference I’ll have to use them for a bigger planted tank.

Yah... Like who in the heck was like: "Ah, I know what to call these" and the other guys are like: "Ooo really! What are ya thinking" and he's like: "It will be called a mystery snail"
All the other guys:
R.jpeg

Thanks for the tip lol
They look great but if removing them makes enough difference I’ll have to use them for a bigger planted tank.
Sounds like a great plan! I used to have a couple in my 10 gallon tank for my sisters, before they got tanks of their own., they really are gorgeous.

I'm going to impress everyone by being a king of aquarium technology. I also have large hands, which makes my 2.5 gallon tanks pretty useless. I put freshly hatched killie fry in them, or have used them as single fish hospital tanks, for very small fish. But technology has the answer - the blessed dollar store baster.
It picks up debris very well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back