2.5 gallon. filtered, live plant...

Phreaxer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I had a dwarf puffer in there but he decided that eating just wasnt something he was interested in doing... :sad: Now I have a empty tank to put something in... What do you guys suggest? Maybe a pair of something small? Colorful?

Im not really interested in putting in:

Puffers
Bettas
Tetras

i would put in a pair of male guppies and a albino cory but cylce with one gupp and when done cycling add another gupp and the cory.

The tank is cycled already... I have had it up and running with fish for quite some time now, so I am pretty sure its safe to add fish, but I am going to take a sample to the LFS to make sure I am reading it right. Why do you say 2 males? Dont males tend to fight?

no if they are the same size and there is no females around you should be fine or you could get females instead. but i think you have 2 have a cory no matter what 2 eat the uneaten food.

Since i"m a betta lover I'd go with a betta and two corys (male/female) I would also add a male betta and a female. If theres room you could add more bettas. However amke srue theres plently of plants and hiding spots. Good luck. ;)

I'm with Kossy here, it's a small tank so make sure you don't get too many fish. The thing about corys is that they like to be in a group, so don't just add one. Bettas are colourful and don't mind being in smallish tanks.

Or maybe a pair of small Killifish, they often don't live long, but they are extremely pretty.

Nothing,use the 2.5 as a quarentine/hospital tank,IMO 2 1/2 gallon tanks are not big enough to keep fish in for life.

CFC said:
Nothing,use the 2.5 as a quarentine/hospital tank,IMO 2 1/2 gallon tanks are not big enough to keep fish in for life.
Exce[t Bettas, I believe. Everything I've read suggests they like small tanks and one male betta with an attractive plant would be just right IMHO. OTOH, I find that with my small tank I have to do w/c's twice a week, despite the filter so controlling water quality is a problem.

I would also add a male betta and a female. If theres room you could add more bettas.

If you go betta (which you already said you weren't), do NOT put 2 male bettas in a 2.5 unless you use a divider. Or put 1 male only, or maybe (BIG maybe) 2 (maybe 3) females. There's not enough room in a 2.5 to add more betas IMO. And of course you can't put males together. And I wouldn't put a male and female in there unless there's a divider...and I personally wouldn't put them together period unless I was trying to breed.

A betta and some cories might be a good idea but I'm not versed on cories...so maybe some more knowledgeable cory folks can speak to whether or not 2 cories w/1 betta is good in a 2.5.

Phreaxer said:
What about just a Male and Female guppy? If they have babies, I can take them home to protect them...
Guppies are schooling fish, so a pair isn't really ideal. A male and two females would probably be better, although it's still a real squeeze in a 2.5 gal tank. Personally, I'd only keep a single betta in such a small tank or use it exclusively as a hospital tank - I think a 2.5 gal tank is just too small.

If you could upgrade to a 10 gal you'd have so much more flexibility and it is fairly easy to obtain 10 gal tanks second hand - I bought one, including filter, heater, lights etc. for 5 quid a while back.

I understand that this is a small tank, and I have a 10 gallon at home and I wish I had bigger (will get a big one after I move :) ) This is a tank on my desk at work, so a 10g is not realistic.

btw: I have been wondering this for a while... what is a quid? relative to the US dollar I mean... :thumbs:

Phreaxer said:
btw: I have been wondering this for a while... what is a quid? relative to the US dollar I mean... :thumbs:
One pound sterling. Relates to about US$1.5, I believe. I say "quid" because your screen won't recognise a pound sign.

Phreaxer, keep us posted on what you decide to put in it. I've been thinking of buying an Eclipse Explorer 2.5 gallon...either for my boys...or some other fish. I'll be interested in finding out what you eventually decide to put in yours. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back