1St African Cichlid Tank - Suggestions Please ?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

The frontosas are tanganyikan but definately too big for your tank. I'd say Tangs all the way but I am biased- I don't like malawis as I just don't see the fascination with lots of big, ugly although colourful fish that all look the same with few acceptions. You have haps or mbuna and that is about it(straps on tin hat) . Anything slightly interesting looking is usually predatory so you end up with a tank full of them instead. If you want a tank full of biggish boring fish you may as well keep goldfish, they are cheap and easy to come by- similar to a lot of malawis . Many tangs stay small, have more interesting colours and body shapes and also have better temperaments (plus if you manage to breed them I can bum some fry off you!). Before any Malawi fans jump on me please know that this post was only in jest (mostly) and I know you are happy with your pretty (boring) fish.

The frontosas are tanganyikan but definately too big for your tank. I'd say Tangs all the way but I am biased- I don't like malawis as I just don't see the fascination with lots of big, ugly although colourful fish that all look the same with few acceptions. You have haps or mbuna and that is about it(straps on tin hat) . Anything slightly interesting looking is usually predatory so you end up with a tank full of them instead. If you want a tank full of biggish boring fish you may as well keep goldfish, they are cheap and easy to come by- similar to a lot of malawis . Many tangs stay small, have more interesting colours and body shapes and also have better temperaments (plus if you manage to breed them I can bum some fry off you!). Before any Malawi fans jump on me please know that this post was only in jest (mostly) and I know you are happy with your pretty (boring) fish.

Tin hat won't do you any good mate the Malawi Hit squad are on their way round to do your legs. In principal it is of course entirely possible with poor quality interbreds and a lack of research to end up with a tank full of similar looking fish.

That is basically what Malawis are when you buy them, I just think they all look the same anyway regardless of if they have been interbred in a tank. I don't know why Tangs seemed to diversify so much more than Malawis although they evolved in similar manners. People like Malawis and thats fine, its a matter of personal taste. I find them garish, ugly and bad-tempered but hey ho!

Yeah me too!

Havent been able to identify it yet :)

this is my fave:

CallochromisMacrops.jpg

Callochromis macrops :good:

Most reactions

Back