180 gal ?'s

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cokacola

Reaction score
I plan on building a 180 gal marine aquarium in a wall in my house where it will be visible from both sides. I plan on making the tank 72x24x24 out of 1/2 inch acylic. Should it be thicker? I plan on building the tank myself because im one to like to build things. Well anyway, with this size aquarium, i have done some research and want to put in two internal overflows. My ? is, how big should the overflows be as in the dimensions because one will go on each end of the tank? My second ? is how big of a hole should be drilled for the bulkhead and what size bulkhead should i get? My next ? is if i use the durso or whatever type of overflow system to cut down on noise, and the power goes out how does this system keep the tank from flooding and if i have return flow pipes built into my overflow box well below the water line for circulation, will the water seep back through these lines and flood if the power goes out. Thank you a bunch and all imput is appreciated!!!!

Hi Cokacola! :hi:

First of all welcome to the forum! Second of all I can't help you with your queries but maybe you could have a look in the DIY section of the forum and I'm sure there will be plenty of experts who can help you out - good luck! :thumbs:

Ive moved this to the marine forum where it may geta better response.

you will probably need 3 overflows for that size tank. i would go for 1 1/2" pipe for the return to the sump and 3/4" pipe for the returns to the aquarium. you will need 3 3500lph pumps which will probably be reduced to about 3000lph due to the head. i would partition 6" of one end of completley. then put a divider which is sealed (very important) and this will go to about 1" below the eventual water surface so measuse it to finish 1" short of what you want the water surface to be. then glue a "comb" or a grill the full length of the divider. you can put a piece of sponge in this section to reduce noise. (just make sure it osn't block) then have the inlets to the tank about 2" below the water surface. when the power goes the water will drop to the height of the weir/divider you have built and no more will flow down the pipes to the sump. the wate will then drop a little more until air is sucked into the return pipes which are connected to the pumps, this will break the syphon.

this sounds pretty complicated but it sounds harder than it is. i can draw a diagram if you wish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back